“Great hotel, excellent location”

Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
Ranked #46 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 May 2009

As previous reviews have stated this is a great hotel. We stayed in a suite which provided plenty of room. The bathroom was great, the bed comfortable and the sitting area pleasant. Our room was on the back side of the hotel facing a park so there was no noise.

The central location was great. We were within walking distance to great plazas and shopping. Hotel is across the street from the metro, and bus. Train station for Sintra was a short walk.

The desk service and staff was great. Elizabeth was especially helpful.

We skipped the 17euro breakfast, and like others, found breakfast and snacks at nearby stores. One rainy night we ate at the bar. Ok, but nothing special.

Could not believe that internet usage in the business center was free - that was a first.

We highly recommend this hotel for luxury and location.

2  Thank Stinker1
Write a ReviewReviews (4,100)

Reviewed 27 May 2009

Hotel is very well located for main downtown attractions, restaurants, a short walk to the main plaza, possible to walk to the Castle and to Barrio Alto. Good access by car to major routes in and out of Lisbon, underground parking was included in the price.

Room was small but very well appointed, beautifully decorated, bathroom was clean and luxurious and the bed was indeed wonderful (as described in many other reviews here)

In general the staff were very helpful, friendly and courteous. Our final experience however left a bad taste in our mouths - I requested a late checkout and was told 2pm, but when we finally checked out at 1.30pm, we received a scowl and the receptionist tried to charge for parking and when we quibbled about that, he did not apologize, merely took the charge off the bill again and scowled some more - not a nice way to depart from the hotel.

Reviewed 21 May 2009

Check in was handled very professionally and our car and luggage were quickly sorted out by the efficient staff. The room was very comfortable with the one criticism being the bathroom doors which were inadequate for complete privacy. The light meals offered at the Bar in the foyer were excellent if one was too tired on arrival to leave the hotel. One observation to be aware of is that the account at the end of one's stay is in Portuguese and it was not immediately apparent that the very expensive breakfast was added to the bill regardless of whether one had it or not. When queried, it seemed this was normal practice so obviously charges can be added without the support of a guest's signature. I thought this was a poor show. Just the same, I would use this hotel again as its position was excellent and didn't entail climbing huge hills. Lisbon is a fantastic city.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2009

After reading all the good reviews about this hotel, i decieded to give it a go, and it did not disappoint.
I arrived early on a Sunday morning, and i know that normally rooms are not ready, so i went off to drop off the bags, and concierge said that i could try and check in, so i did, and the room was ready.
The room was lovely, the deco, the bed was really comfortable, bathroom was good size, nice toiletries, they also provided robes, free water, nice touches, and no problem with street noise. I noticed that there was no ironing in the room, so i rang reception to ask, there is a self service ironing room on the 9th floor.
Location is perfect for exploring Lisbon, most places are within walking distance, if not the tube stop is just outside the hotel's entrance.
Next morning, breakfast was excellent, best i've ever seen, huge selection, great quality.
Overall, great stay, staff were really nice, always smiling and ready to help.

2  Thank Kardiff
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I changed my mind the minute landed in Lisbon from staying in a hotel outskirt to someone in the city center. Turned out to be a great decision. I booked this hotel from the airport by calling them. I was told they didn't have the room type I was looking for, but they will change it for me the 2nd day. When we got to the hotel (around 7am in the morning), Jorge, the front desk guy, told us he was expecting us and would try to find the room we need in a couple hours, then we wouldn't need to switch the room later. No problem for us. We went out for breakfast and when we got back, everything was ready.
The room is big enough in European standard, very clean and cozy. It's by a major street. So it's not 100% quiet. But it's never been a distraction.
I can't say enough about this guy, Jorge. He is just so nice and helpful. He gave me a lot of advice on restaurants and tourist spots. He made me feel so comfortable as a first timer to Lisbon and knowing only 2 words of Portuguese. Look for Jorge if you will stay in Sofitel Lisbon.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank EWest7
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Like previous reviewers our group of 8 found the hotel very well located and beautifully appointed. The beds were so comfortable it was difficult to get up in the mornings, the bathrooms are luxurious and even the standard rooms came with bathrobes, slippers and luxury toiletries. The staff are extremely helpful and the decor in both the bedrooms and public rooms very elegant. The one downside (as others have mentioned) is the price of the breakfast. I searched the net and could not find a deal which included breakfast. However, a couple of blocks up the Avenue is L'Ipanema which serves superb food all day - all at a few euros.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara02
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I can only echo all of the other positive reviews. I received a great rate (pre-paid and non-refundable through Venere) of 105 Euros per night. Granted, I'm sure I had the smallest room in the hotel, but I was only there to sleep and shower; Lisbon is an absolutely great city to explore and have fun and it's a shame to waste your time in a hotel.

The location is perfect, 10 minutes to Bairro Alto (use the elevator), 15 minutes to Baixa, short cab to Alfama or 20 minute walk. Plenty of restaurants close to the hotel or throughout the city.

The staff was pleasant, efficient, etc. An American tourist complaining about a tour slowed down my late arrival, but a couple of sighs from me and the desk staff found another person to get me checked in. They were all helpful whenever I had a question about tourist sites, getting around, restaurants, etc.

My room was on the opposite side of the hotel from Av. Liberdade, note that it's more residential, but garbage trucks do work the streets in the early morning. Overall, the room was great, comfy bed, dark shades, workable desk with a nice view, etc. The rooms could do better with someplace to put your suitcase, other than the only sitting space in the room. That was really the only negative.

The restaurant is a nice change from the standard sardinhas and bacalhau found in almost every single other restaurant in the city. Do try and eat at the combo "Indian and Italian Cuisine" restaurant in Bairro Alto, it's got to be interesting.

Overall, I hope to stay there again and will recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business