“mixed feelings.......”

GreenLeadersSilver level
West Sacramento, California
“mixed feelings.......”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The good is.....the hotel is clean, modern and the staff amazing. The bad....the rooms are really really small. They reminded me of a cruise ship, narrow hallways and the bathroom is like a galley. My big beef with this hotel has to do with the internet. They do not have their own. At check in I was offered a card to buy time on a local company. I purchased and hour of time. You get a log in a password for your hour, similar to Vodaphone or any other internet card. But what they do not tell you is, it must be continuous. So used about 20 min. logged off and figured I would use the remaining time later that night or the next day. But, you loose your time if you don't the full amount on the card all at once. The connection is slow. With a hotel as upscale as this, catering to a higher client and business travelers, I would expect the hotel to offer a better internet system.

We also had a very early flight out so we ordered in room service in order to get to bed early. The food was horrible. The menu said, chicken breast and pesto pasta and what came was noodles with a mushroom alfredo sauce. I ordered a chocolate mouse and it looked like it had been sitting in a fridge for a week. Hard crusty dried out top and soft underneath. I asked for a bottle of water and got a HUGE bottle(like a liter size which was way too big and they charged a lot for it). I don't mind paying the higher prices for room service but the food was really bad.

The location is good but I would not stay here again

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelresearcher22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We spent two nights at the Sana Lisboa (see my review on that hotel), then drove up to the Duoro for two nights, and spent our last two at the Sofitel. Talk about saving the best for last! The Sofitel is elegantly appointed with a sleek and modern aesthetic. The rooms were immaculate and spacious. If that wasn't enough, the hotel is perfectly located about 5 minutes from Lisbon's Baixa (city center) and 10 minutes from the hip Bairro Alto neighborhood which host's Lisbons restaurants and night life. If you are on a budget, don't eat breakfast at the Sofitel, as we found that to be a bit overpriced. No matter, though, as there are tons of cafes within walking distance. The staff at the Sofitel could have been a bit more friendly. They weren't particularly interested in helping us decide where to eat dinner. But, other than that, we had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel and would return in an instant.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I had a great Sofitel experience in Morocco last year so when I saw the discounted rate for this one I grabbed a room without hesitation or much research. And it was a good pick,

PROS:
- Comfort is AMAZING. I think this is the best bed I ever slept in. Service in
- Service is outstanding. In my experience, it is second to Fairmont only
- Location is very convenient. Strategically placed between Barrio Alto and other locations
- Decent complementary business center

CON:
- Expensive breakfast, not complementary. Maybe worth it (I didn't try), but you can do a lot better than 17 Euros per person. Many breakfast options around.

Hihly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Luxembourg
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Great hotel with perfect location - on one of the very central boulevards and just a few meters from the metro. The interior of the hotel was stylish and rooms were clean and equipped with all the necessary amenities.
The wardrobe-type doors of the bathroom were a bit weird as they didn't provide real privacy, but we got used to it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 8 June 2009

The hotel was generally OK although the rooms were very dark and small and my room overlooked a park where a homeless man slept every night and spent all day walking up and down the road talking to himself.

I booked the hotel through Lastminute.com and agreed to a price in pounds which I was charged in advance. However when I went to check out I spoke to someone called Jose who was extremely rude. He said that the hotel had made a mistake in charging me originally and I owed another 10 euros. I said that I had completed my transaction through Lastminute.com not the hotel, and I showed him my bank statement showing that I had already paid the required amount. I said I did not agree to pay any more than I had been quoted.

However I have just found out today that the hotel has taken another 10 euros directly out of my bank account without my permission. I am appalled by this and will be complaining until I get the money back. However others should be aware that this hotel has no qualms in treating its customers in this way and should check their bank accounts after they come home to check that further charges have not been taken out without their agreement.

I would never stay in this hotel or another Sofitel hotel again

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
7 Thank daisy6666
Zürich
Reviewed 4 June 2009

The first thing to be said is that there are really great front desk staff here. From restuarant reservations to general enquiries, the staff went out of their way to be helpful (Carlos in particular). It was really 5-star service. The hotel is very stylish and luxurious without any of the anonymity and uniformity of chains such as the Hilton and Marriot. As other reviews have said, the location is good. Away from the hustle and bustle of downtown but still very central. The hotel is situated in one of the best areas of Lisbon close to many designer shops on a tree-lined avenue.

We were here with my parents who felt that the rooms were a little dark but I felt that all those muted shades and indirect lighting quite cosy.

The only thing that let the hotel down a little was the breakfast. They were completely understaffed. They offer part service (coffee, juice and hot food ordered at table) plus buffet for the rest. While this in theory is great and is something lots of top quality hotels to, there really needs to be enough staff to deliver on it which was not the case in Monaco. On two of the three days, we had to wait while a table was cleared. On one of those days, there was a queue of two or three people waiting to be seated as the staff were not turning around tables fast enough.

Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Tagesthemen
Brussels
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I want to thank the hotel management and all the staff for their superb service delivered during my stay at this hotel. The reception at check-in and check-out was very professional and courteous - everyone was helpful with a smile!
I found the room very quiet and clean as well as the design pleasing. Your Food and Beverage were well done - breakfast, bar and dinner are excellent and service was the best experienced in Lisbon. Breakfast array was limited but excellent presentation and service was attentively.
I used the fitness facilities and it was what I was used to - like here at home! A complement!
Your hotel is central to my needs - what I liked about the hotel! You can be sure that I plan to recommend and use your hotel in the future!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends