“The right place”
Review of Hotel do Chiado

Hotel do Chiado
Ranked #64 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Spending time in Lisbon, despite the revamp of the roads at present, is always a pleasure. This time I spent two wonderful nights in this Hotel. Clean, friendly and discreet. The location is perfect as you are on the crown of the Chiado hill with a metro station literally below the hotel giving access to the rest of Lisbon. Several of the main sights are within easy walking or tram distance and good bars and restaurants are literally round the corner.
The views from the restaurant balcony are fabulous, with the Castle surveying the old city and river and the whole panorama before you. The rooms are very comfortable and the bathrooms are large, the restaurant is very nice for dinner and breakfast. The staff are very well trained and like to practise their English! Friendly and courteous at all times, but not intrusive.
The walls and wall décor could be a better quality and the corridors definitely need some photographs or art of some kind.

Room Tip: You can get a garden room with stunning views if you intend spending time there, but the other rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 7GTAM7
HoteldoChiado, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel do Chiado, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Mrs.,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience at the Hotel do Chiado.
We are happy to read these wonderful lines about our Hotel and staff. We provide a refined service for our guests. As well as properly maintained, because now we already finished the refurbishment and the corridors has a renovated décor. We already accomplish the renovation of the corridors and we are sure that you will appreciate.
We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once more at the Hotel do Chiado.

Yours sincerely,
Cátia Simões

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My first experience of Hotel do Chiado was as a guest at a private dinner. I loved the food and the incredible view from the bar/restaurant, and knew I'd come back one day. I've just returned from a trip where I needed everything to be just perfect (I proposed to my girlfriend, she said "yes"). I booked the "romantic package" with a premium room, terrace, free champagne. As expected, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was big, bright and offered spectacular views from our private terrace. On the first evening we ate at the restaurant and the food was first class. I can't speak for other rooms, but the premium double room is essential for any romantic trip. Honestly, if you want a comfortable stay in the heart of old Lisbon, and especially if you have romance in your plans, you should pay a bit more and enjoy a stay at Hotel do Chiado. I'll return for sure.

Room Tip: Spend a little more for a premium double with private terrace overlooking Lisbon. You will not regre...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr.,

Thank you for taking time to post your review following your stay at Hotel do Chiado
We were very pleased to know that we met your expectations, and that you found our hotel perfect for your romantic trip. Definitely we agree that we have the Lisbon best view!
Your enthusiasm for our Hotel is very much appreciated. The entire team will be thrilled to hear your kind comments.
We hope to have the great honor of welcoming you back to the Hotel do Chiado in a very near future.

Yours sincerely,
Cátia Simões

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This hotel is a hidden gem in the Chiado region of Lisbon. Front desk staff was super friendly. Even made reservations for us for a night of fado in Alfama. Renovated rooms were beautifully appointed with very nice modern bathroom. The view was spectacular. I didn't want to leave my balcony. The breakfast was very nice with everything you could possibly want in a very pretty room. Only downside is no parking, so we had to pay $25 for parking in an underground parking lot nearby and drag our luggage through the streets, but it was worth it.....

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room with view of St. George Castle.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helena08
Reviewed 7 July 2013

3 days in Lisbon - an amazing view of city and river from room
roof top bar with equallly wonderful view
modern decor - some parts of hotel undergoing renovation
nice room, adequately spacious
front desk and bar staff all curteous and helpful with city sights and events

Room Tip: worth having room with city view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is right in the city centre and within walking distance of most of the plazas and the sea front. It is undergoing renovations at the moment and the renovated rooms are quite good. Can't speak for those not renovated. Lobby is very small and breakfast is on the top floor. Breakfast is disappointing but the views are good. Hotel is part of a shopping centre and the very noise refuse collection is at 1.15 a.m., not good for light sleepers. Good rooms and good wifi. Excellent location

Room Tip: Taxi from the airport is only about €12
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank keenerDublin_Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Could not ask for a better location or ask for a better view of the whole city from the beautiful bar on the terrace or ask for better service or a better breakfast, a nicer room, etc. BUT the air-conditioning in the room was just so USELESS that we spent both nights sweating and barely sleeping in spite of asking for a fix. When (if) they do, it will be your best choice. Until then, walk away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have wrestled with what happened to us and with the reviews on TA, trying to work out why our experience was so far adrift from that reported by others. Then today I received an email from the Do Chiado saying words to the equivalent of "it you liked us put it on Trip Advisor, if you didn't tell us directly". Hmmm. I'm not prepared to play that game .. TA only works if we are all scrupulously honest ... So:
The Do Chiado has some excellent points, but there are three key variables you have to work to get a good stay. Those variables are: renovated v unrenovated rooms, front v back of the property, and 6th floor v 7th floor. We screwed up on all three and had an appalling room that was barely 2 star in standard. We were in on Friday and out on Monday, with Monday being a public holiday - and that's also important to the depth of vileness of our experience.

Currently, this is a tired old hotel in a fantastic position. The view from the back of the property is stand out - much of the same view that you get from the Elevador a few doors along. And it's position in Chiado is great: you can pretty much walk to anywhere you might want to go or the transport to get to it. And the bar staff are lovely. Yes, the hotel is being renovated, but this seems to be a soft refurb: new paint, carpet, furniture and a surface spruce up to common parts and the bathrooms (ie no new bath etc, but the grey old grout between the tiles has been scrubbed). For the first two nights we had room 702: old, tired, battered, bashed and a strange grab bag of Japanese and Chinese themes that reminded us of some bad pop video from the 80s. The first thing I did after walking through the door was to apologise to my husband .. I booked this hotel and it was that bad. The window is also a slot high in the wall .. you can see through it at head height. If I said it was like the observation slit in a WW2 gun emplacement I'd only be marginally exaggerating. Though when you stand in the street and look up at our window that's exactly what it looks like.
Front v back: this is all about noise. 702 is on the front and on the front the noise is horrendous, exacerbated by a narrow street lined with tall buildings so the noise funnels upwards. Chiado is right below the Bairro Alto. At the weekend the bars in the Bairro Alto close between 3 and 4pm and the beered up boys come roaring down the hill in search of a night club so they can kick on. To give them their due they sound very happy young men. Sadly they love to sing and wail .. imagine a very looooong shout. So unless you really are a heavy sleeper you will be woken at about 3.15am and kept awake until about 4.30am by them. Friday night is less noisy than Saturday, but woah .. Saturday is massive. And with the public holiday on Monday I was afeared that Sunday night would be a repeat of Saturday. And then after the last young male has passed and you think you might be able to get some sleep after all, someone kindly puts their metal dumpsters out, dragging them across the cobbled street! I spent most of Sunday sightseeing in a daze of sleep deprivation after two nights of relatively little kip THEN: 702 is also immediately above a busker spot: the saxophonist was largely during the day, I could sleep through the flautist (he played the first 8-10 bars of Dave Brubeck's Take Five over and over and over, though didn't improve at all .. it became strangely soporific), but oh the 7-piece New Orleans jazz band!!! Almost ready to drop by Sunday afternoon we got back to the hotel shortly before 5 with the intention of a Nana nap before going out for dinner. I got about 15 mins sleep before the band started. They were absolutely fantastic. Brilliant arrangements of rumbustuous, raucous New Orleans jazz. But THEY WERE RIGHT BELOW OUR WINDOW! It's a long story, but I have a dB meter on my iPhone .. in our room the band were peaking at 85dB!!! It was like being assaulted with noise. I decided to decamp to the bar and that's when I found out: leave the room, close the door and in the hallway there is complete silence! So if you get a room on the back you will have no street noise to disturb you. AND you will have the fantastic view.
7th v 6th floor? 6th has been renovated. 7th is still underway. Half the 7th floor was closed for building work and the other half hasn't been started yet. So if you manage to get a renovated room on the back of the hotel, I'd recommend you get one on the 6th floor. The key difference between the rooms on the 6th and 7th is whether you get a terrace or a room with the classic French doors and juliet balcony. Personally, I'd go with the balcony option - oherwise your view of The View is curtailed ... the terrace is banded by a strip of lawn before the edge of the building and they both cut into the view. So unless you have an urge for your own terrace (whilst isn't so private as it's divided from the next room's terrace by some wire fencing with a rather sparse rose growing up it) I'd not bother.
I complained on Saturday morning and the two young women on Reception just froze. I complained again on Sunday when the band was getting into their second set and this time an older man on Reception offered a room change for E30. He said they hadn't been able to offer that before as there had not been another room we could have moved to. He also said "but you booked a classic room'". As if that was some defence. In this day and age of the world wide web we expect honesty and transparency. There was NOTHING in the booking info to say this was an un-refurb'd room that was about 2 star standard that was badly affected by street noise. I thought I was booking a 4 star hotel, not a 2 star room in a hotel that is lucky to still have its 4 star status. Anyway: we moved to a renovated room on the 6th floor back, for our final night. If we'd got that rrroom first time round I'd have walked into the room and said "it's a bit odd, but wow look at that view". The reno colour scheme is the currently ubiquitous beige/brown/white combo. IMHO, it's a bit peculiar but nothing to scare the horses. Good luck with keeping the white leather headboards clean, by the way. All I cared about though is that the room was blissfully quiet!

So that's our tale of woe. I can laugh about it now but then I was just rope-able .. or I would have been if I'd had enough sleep to manage to be rope-able. IMHO there must be other hotels in Chiado that it's easier to get a good room in. The bar and bar terrace are open to non residents, so if you want that view you can still get it.

PS. My husband has just read this review before I post it and he says I should add that the rooms were clean and the shower is good. So I have. He also said I should point out that on the Sunday when I complained yet again the problem was fixed and fixed quickly. Maybe the older man on Reception had more experience or seniority than the others. Who knows ...

Room Tip: Read the review and follow it closely!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple