“'Rude Front Desk...Poor Location...Substandard Room”
Review of Alif Hotel

Alif Hotel
Ranked #186 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When we checked in, we were greeted indifferently. No welcoming, no nothing. We checked in and only one person was responsive. He brought up our bags and did offer some information. During our entire stay, he was the only person we felt even cared that we were guests.
We were not given any information at the front desk about the city, surrounding area, sights to see, restaurants...nothing. When we asked about restaurants, they indicated that there was a small mall next door with a food court.

We wanted ice for water and were told to go to the bar. At the bar, the bartender was so rude that I was shocked. First he didn't even want to give us the ice. When he returned with just one glass and we asked for more, his response was very hostile. To the point that we assured him that we would return the glasses! Which we did the next day.

I asked one of the gentlemen where we could pick up the tour we had booked. He said he didn't know and didn't act like he wanted to look up the information. I found the staff to be incredibly rude. When I asked a question, the response was short and not informational. No one greeted us each morning when we came down nor when we came back to the hotel. It was if we were just a nuisance to them.

The final blow was the situation with the taxis. We were told that a taxi to and from the airport would be 10 euros. When we got to the hotel the taxi driver charged us 14 euros. When we asked the people behind the desk, they said it was only supposed to be 10 euros. When we told them what we had been charged, their responsive was to shrug their shoulders and say no only 10.

I picked up a flyer on the information table in the lobby from a shuttle service that said it would come to the hotel to pick us up. When I asked the front desk about calling the shuttle service, they told me no the taxi would only be 10 and they would call for us. I asked them to book it and was told no let their colleague know in the morning. I said I needed to leave at 4AM for a 6:30AM flight to London and wanted to be sure about the taxi. Again, they refused to do any thing until the morning. When the morning person was asked, again he said only`10 euros. When the driver got there and we asked if it was only 10 euros, the story changed again. The hotel person said "you pay what is on the meter". It might be 10 or 12. Then he said we had luggage and that might be extra!

The room was adequate but dark since one set of lights kept flickering on and off and finally went dead. We decided to just deal with it since we weren't sure what would happen if we ask for someone to come and fix it.

The location, it was so far from the city center, new city center, old town and river. The costs of taxi's would put a serious dent in anyone's budget. We decided, after our experience with the first taxi, to use the Metro. We are not the norm for women in our age group. We don't mind taking public transportaion. The Metro was like old New York but we were prepared and took the necessary precautions.

As older women traveling alone, the all male front desk staff did nothing to make us feel secure or welcomed. I have traveled extensively, lived in Europe and in Asia. This is the first time that I have encountered such blatant indifference and lack of concern for female guests. I would hate to think that it was either that we were Americans, Black Americans, Female Americans or older Americans that made them think it was OK to be so rude.

My advice, pick another hotel that has a caring staff, better location and rooms with lights that work!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnnKS2013

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Check in was no fuss, but also no smile. The room was small and overlooking the constantly busy road. Beds comfortable and decent shower. Breakfast does the job but nothing tasty or healthy. Location isn't great - metro is only 200m but the yellow line isn't great for getting downtown. The good thin is the shopping complex under the bull ring right across the street - including value foods and cinema, AND free wifi in the 'City Bar' there so don't pay €10 to get it at the hotel if just for a quick use.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ootopcat
Reviewed 16 March 2014

For Europe, the room was spacious. Good shower, bed was fine. Good location (1 block from Campo Pequeno subway stop). Price very reasonable (I didn't pay for hotel breakfast -- instead I walked down the block to a pastry shop each day). Wifi is free and unlimited (restricted to one device at a time). I get the impression from the login screen that this might have been a recent change from a pay-as-you-go system. The wifi infrastructure was weak -- it was very slow and sometimes quite flaky from my room, but better at non-peak times like 7am, so probably it just can't handle the load. Good enough for checking email, but would not cut it for VOIP.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Josh T
Reviewed 7 January 2014

There is wifi but it doesn't work at all, as I heard for a long time. Good place not far from the centre and metro. Good dinner and clean rooms. It's almost all the things I can tell. Good stuff and there is nothing to add.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alex_Kozhemyakin
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I booked this hotel because it's conveniently located next to the metro station, Yellow Line (Campo Pequeno).
If you are picking the airport bus, this will be the first stop. Or if you prefer to take the metro, the
Red Line, is connected with the Yellow.
There are several businesses around this area: a mall with many restaurants (my fav is Portugalia) and shops.
It's a safe area too.
The rooms are dated and they are small but they are very clean. The breakfast, at an additional 6.50 Euro, is simple: fresh bread, cheese, butter and some fruits. The view is good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel got most things right - clean, good location by the metro (though walking to the old (read 'attractive') part of the city is close to an hour), breakfast was fine if basic. Reception were helpful but not exactly friendly. There was a *slight* sewage smell from the bathroom, but it was only occasional.

However, the problem for me was internet access. When travelling these days WiFi is a necessity for me. I found the WiFi here though to be a disaster. Firstly the security settings are incorrect, which meant that my chrome browser on my Galaxy SII simply wouldn't work. I did manage to get online with my laptop by getting through the broken login system using Explorer and ignoring the security warnings, but even then the WiFi was constantly failing, with the signal dropping or web pages timing out. This was in November too, when the hotel was almost empty, so I can only imagine how bad it would be if the hotel was full. Reception staff were helpful to a degree in trying to get my devices to connect, but had no interest in getting the problem actually fixed.

If you're not bothered about WiFi I'd certainly recommend. Otherwise, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank battles_atlas
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Reasonable price, clean rooms, and best location. Close to metro stations, and nice restaurants /coffee shops around this hotel. If you are lucky might find a best deal. Though it is non-smoking hotel, I kind of noticed strong odor in the corridors of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo