“campo pequeno lisbon”
Review of Alif Hotel

Alif Hotel
Ranked #184 of 254 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very nice hotel , clean room spaciacious the breakfast was good and the service fast nice location a bit far from the centre but 1 metro ride away. the metro is quite expensive in lisbon. 6 euros a day

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
There are newer reviews for Alif Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hotel is in a reasonable location, near metro station and plenty of bus stops but not much choice close by for a quality evening meal. Hotel room was very small but it was clean and in a good state of repair (although the sink in the bathroom had a big crack in it). Lots of traffic noise which did make getting to sleep a bit if a challenge. Breakfast was ok, not a huge choice but I did enjoy having pastei de Nata as an option as (egg custard tarts) they are not normally on my menu at home. Also had free wifi included in the price I paid so that was a nice touch - having said all of that I'm not sure I would stay again as I am sure there better options for a similar price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We chose this hotel because it was a good deal for our dates.
It is next to Campo Pequeno metro station.
Clean room, comfortable bed, ok breakfast.
Receptionists do not seem to speak a good English, but they try their best to help you out.
Be aware: Aerobus starts operating only at 7:40. For an early flight, rather take the metro.
Tip for Lisbon: with the yellow bus (hop on-hop off) you get free access on all carreio buses.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ladyro10
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 days with my partner in May 2014, booked through lowcostholidays and when we arrived they gave us a twin room despite me specifying that I wanted a double. They then had the audacity to tell me it would be €10 extra per night for a double room which was unacceptable in my opinion.

After much debate and the receptionists refusing to provide a double bed, we settled for a different room where two twin beds were pushed together instead of separated. That initial issue dampened my view of the hotel staff and for the remainder of my stay the receptionists refused to acknowledge or greet me and my partner when we went in and out of the hotel. The cleaning staff were lovely and friendly though!

Now, on the plus side, the
bathroom was pretty big for a European room, with a hairdryer included and a massive wall sized mirror. The bedroom was also great, comfy beds and pillows, the flat screen TV was amazing, had plenty of English speaking channels including the new, Fox and loads of American channels you wouldn't expect! There was a heating control system which was good too.

There was no iron in the room which was a pain, no kettle/ tea/coffee maker, also no plug sockets next to the bed size so we had to charge our phones on the table opposite the bed.

Apart from that, it was a good stay. There was also free wifi which was brilliant. We didn't try the breakfast or bar so I can't comment on that.

I also have to say that the location is amazing. Underneath the Campo Pequeno Bull Ring is a shopping centre where you can find phone stores, a grocery store, swimwear/beach store and more plus a large food court with Burger King, a pasta place, kebab and pizza place, sandwich place etc. Perfect and less than 5 mins walk from the hotel. That's where we ate most nights. The location is also good because tour buses stop near it and so does the Yellow Bus/Aero Bus which takes you straight from outside the airport to the bullring. The Aero Bus also goes to Rossio and the central areas which is useful because you can get a 24 or 48 hour pass for the bus to get around. Loads of other buses stop outside the hotel but I have no idea where they go.

Overall, lovely area. Nice hotel room. Receptionist staff were a let down.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here for four nights, and the best thing about this hotel was the location at a couple of minutes from the metro, and next to the Bull Ring. This meant easy access to the centre as well as to restaurants and a supermarket. It was also cheap compared to other hotels in the same area or closer to the city centre.
The room was on the 8th floor, good size and clean, but had a funny smell throughout the stay which I couldn't pin down to anything, though it did seem to come from the bathroom. The latter was dated and you could see through the ceiling panels. There were two single beds, one of which was quite creaky. There was a balcony but it was sadly overlooking a very busy street and the noise was heard through the double glazing all night. A positive was that the room was basking in the winter sun and it wasn't necessary to have the heating on (air conditioning) apart from late in the evening.
The hotel in general looked quite old, and the reception staff could have been more enthusiastic. There were problems with the WiFi throughout my stay, which was very annoying given I was there for work, and also I chose the hotel on the basis of this facility. Finally, I only had breakfast once there but it was overrated for what it offered (the format was a buffet): just a couple of different bread rolls, ham and cheese slices, a couple of yoghurts, and pastel de nata (Portuguese custard tarts, which are a must in Lisbon, but everywhere else were better than at this hotel!), plus coffee. For the price you could get three delicious pastries and a large coffee in a pastelaria Varanda da Republica on the corner of Avenida Republica and Avenida Barbosa du Bocage, and the staff there is much nicer!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the lifts. Also if you are afraid of heights, opt for the lower floors of th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nikolettaki17
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When we checked in, we were greeted indifferently. No welcoming, no nothing. We checked in and only one person was responsive. He brought up our bags and did offer some information. During our entire stay, he was the only person we felt even cared that we were guests.
We were not given any information at the front desk about the city, surrounding area, sights to see, restaurants...nothing. When we asked about restaurants, they indicated that there was a small mall next door with a food court.

We wanted ice for water and were told to go to the bar. At the bar, the bartender was so rude that I was shocked. First he didn't even want to give us the ice. When he returned with just one glass and we asked for more, his response was very hostile. To the point that we assured him that we would return the glasses! Which we did the next day.

I asked one of the gentlemen where we could pick up the tour we had booked. He said he didn't know and didn't act like he wanted to look up the information. I found the staff to be incredibly rude. When I asked a question, the response was short and not informational. No one greeted us each morning when we came down nor when we came back to the hotel. It was if we were just a nuisance to them.

The final blow was the situation with the taxis. We were told that a taxi to and from the airport would be 10 euros. When we got to the hotel the taxi driver charged us 14 euros. When we asked the people behind the desk, they said it was only supposed to be 10 euros. When we told them what we had been charged, their responsive was to shrug their shoulders and say no only 10.

I picked up a flyer on the information table in the lobby from a shuttle service that said it would come to the hotel to pick us up. When I asked the front desk about calling the shuttle service, they told me no the taxi would only be 10 and they would call for us. I asked them to book it and was told no let their colleague know in the morning. I said I needed to leave at 4AM for a 6:30AM flight to London and wanted to be sure about the taxi. Again, they refused to do any thing until the morning. When the morning person was asked, again he said only`10 euros. When the driver got there and we asked if it was only 10 euros, the story changed again. The hotel person said "you pay what is on the meter". It might be 10 or 12. Then he said we had luggage and that might be extra!

The room was adequate but dark since one set of lights kept flickering on and off and finally went dead. We decided to just deal with it since we weren't sure what would happen if we ask for someone to come and fix it.

The location, it was so far from the city center, new city center, old town and river. The costs of taxi's would put a serious dent in anyone's budget. We decided, after our experience with the first taxi, to use the Metro. We are not the norm for women in our age group. We don't mind taking public transportaion. The Metro was like old New York but we were prepared and took the necessary precautions.

As older women traveling alone, the all male front desk staff did nothing to make us feel secure or welcomed. I have traveled extensively, lived in Europe and in Asia. This is the first time that I have encountered such blatant indifference and lack of concern for female guests. I would hate to think that it was either that we were Americans, Black Americans, Female Americans or older Americans that made them think it was OK to be so rude.

My advice, pick another hotel that has a caring staff, better location and rooms with lights that work!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnnKS2013
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Check in was no fuss, but also no smile. The room was small and overlooking the constantly busy road. Beds comfortable and decent shower. Breakfast does the job but nothing tasty or healthy. Location isn't great - metro is only 200m but the yellow line isn't great for getting downtown. The good thin is the shopping complex under the bull ring right across the street - including value foods and cinema, AND free wifi in the 'City Bar' there so don't pay €10 to get it at the hotel if just for a quick use.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo