“Good for a decent sleep”

VIP Inn Berna Hotel
Ranked #231 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good for a decent sleep”
Reviewed 24 April 2007

We paid 59 Euro for a one night stay here. It is located near the buses -- if you are traveling here from the airport, ask the driver to warn you of your stop, as they are not marked and the bus only stops after a passenger rings to get off. The hotel lacks personality and charm, but it's suitable for a good night's sleep. When we asked the front desk for restaurant recommendations, we were given a business card of one place, rather than a listing of various options. We checked it out, but decided to find a spot on our own. Overall, I would only stay here if you find a good deal and plan to spend most of your town enjoying Portugal outside the hotel walls. Lisbon is a beautiful city!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank USA808

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 29 March 2007

I stayed here over a long weekend and chose this hotel as part of a city break package for two reasons, price and location. Most of the staff were friendly and spoke english.

The hotel is rated 3 stars and is located a little north of the centre of Lisbon on a relatively busy side street. The hotel is a 10-15 min drive from the Airport. There is a Metro station about 5 mins walk away and the Bullring shopping centre with Supermarket and food outlets is around the corner.

I had a double room with which I found to be small. There were night tables on either side of the bed, a larger dressing table, big mirror on the wall and a decent sized wardrobe with plenty of hangars and a safe. The floor was made of hardwood. The bathroom was also small but the shower was powerful and there was also a bidet somehow squeezed in!

The room looked out over the street and although there was no traffic noise, it was possible to hear noise from outside in the corridor, including slamming doors, people knocking on doors and conversations. Also, I always knew when my neighbour went for a shower!

I had two major problems with my room. The first was ants in the bathroom. There was a little hole at the point were the bath met the floor beside the sink and there were lots of ants marching in and out. They wondered all over the bathroom floor, on the sides and into the bathtub and some even ventured out into the room. I reported this to reception and they promptly had the ants fumigated, however the dead ants on the floor weren't cleared up until the next day after me asking them to. I also noticed that one day during daily room cleaning my bed sheets weren't changed, but just "shaken" and flapped about a bit!

The other problem was that on the day I was supposed to check out, there was a problem with the side of the building where my room was that meant there was no hot water for me to take a shower. I waited 3 hours for this problem to be resolved to no avail. Then the hotel let me use the shower in a room that was in another part of the building that did have hot water. I was fed up of waiting so I overlooked the inconvenience of walking through the hotel in my pyjamas! However, to the hotel's credit, as I had missed my check out time of 12pm and my flight wasn't until the evening, they let me stay in the room until 5pm at no extra charge and threw in complimentary cups of tea!

Overall, despite, the problems, it was a decent enough hotel and served it's purpose as a value for money base that was close to transport links. I didn't eat in the restaurant but found drinks and snacks in the bar to be very cheap! However, if my budget allows it next time, I will stay at a higher starred hotel closer to the centre.

• Liked — Proximity to transport, airport and price
  • Disliked — Room size and ants in the bathroom
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Playa_President

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

London
Reviewed 11 December 2006

Staff were mixed, some very friendly some not. Service was quite good. We had the normal hotel channels and our towels were changed daily.

For the price, this is a nice and VERY big hotel. The rooms size seemed normal for a double. However, they done the usual hotel thing of pushing together 2 single beds and calling it a double bed. They was also no mini bar in the room, which is annoying as in hot weather.

Rooms were clean although did show some signs of wear. I would not have a problem staying here again. Situation is OK as well is you prefer a bit of distance from the noisy areas.

Unique Qualities: Free hotel parking even though there is ample parking outside the hotel.
This hotel is ideal for large group bookings.
Good prices for those on a budget.

• Liked — Great for large groups
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank DJ FearRoss
Dungarvan, Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2006

Three of my friends and I stayed in the Berna Hotel this week for two nights on a room only basis.We had a bit of a bad experience with a taxi from the airport who overcharged us but that is not the hotels fault.On arrival we found the check-in a little slow but eventually got to the rooms.They were clean and compact.Plenty of shower gel and soap for the unprepaired.Plenty of clean towels.The bar staff were very friendly an had very good english.We were in town for a Football Match at the Benfica ground which was not too far away.On the whole we had a very nice stay and Man.United won the match which was an added bonus.Hope to visit the Berna again.

• Liked — Near Airport and Subway
  • Disliked — Only one type of Beer in the bar
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring Bottled water as hotel and probably whole city has high levels of Chlorin in water.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Manunitedman
Berkshire, England
Reviewed 12 August 2006

We stayed at the Berna for one night as a result of our flight home being cancelled hence its location near the airport was advantageous. Room was small but very clean, the bathroom had recently been refurbished with an excellent shower. The view was awful - but for one night that wasn't an issue. The lifts can be rather slow and the public areas a bit smokey. There was a reasonable choice for breakfast but the dining room had no ambience - rather like a fast food hall with staff clearing up after people, not interacting with them in any way. We felt it was a good enough choice in the circumstances we found ourselves, but we would probably not book it as a longer term holiday option.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — lack of view, staff interaction,
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BerkshireStewarts
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2006

My boyfriend and I spent 5 days at here as part of our stay in Portugal. Hotel isn't centrally located in regards to tourist sites but is very close to the subway so it took only a few mins to get anywhere. Rooms are plain but clean. A decent value for the price.

Stayed November 2004
4 Thank Gummycandy
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2006

Stayed one night before catching early morning flight. Handy 24 hr service station directly over the road to re fuel before short drive to the airport. Great price smallish room but clean, didn't have breakfast. Close to metro to get downtown, undercover parking.

• Stayed October 2005