“Outraged!”

Ranked #63 of 110 Dessert in Lisbon
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I work near and frequently go into Casa Brasileira for a quick snack. Usually I'll order at the counter and just have my coffee or snack right there, but have also sat in the terrace quite a few times. Snacks (typical Portuguese-style ones, as well as sandwiches and the like) and juices are quite delicious, and service fantastic (quick and very, very friendly). Yesterday was a particularly hot day in Lisbon and I decided sit in the terrace and get one of the fruit salads I had often seen by the window. When I asked for the bill I was flabbergasted to see each fruit salad — in a ±30 ml cup (less than 1.5 cup) cost 5.50€. I though they had mistaken the size of the salad or something, but when I inquired I was told a fruit salad indoors costs 2.80€, but 5.50€ if taken in the terrace (with a plastic cup and fork — same as indoors). I actually felt insulted! Not only was the fruit salad uninspiring — the pawpaw was too ripe and the peach was tinned — but, most of all, I consider this price increase (indoors vs. outdoors) absurd! It made me want to never go back to a place I so much liked and recommended!

3  Thank AnaPrataDiasCosta

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for good coffee, dont drink here! Weak coffee, over priced.
If you want good coffee, go to a small, locals coffee shop and avoid this place!
Over rated!!

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Go here for coffee and great custard tarts/other pastries.

The baking was so good we came back to eat lunch there, but that was not as good.

Very mediocre pizza, absolute tourist fare. Shame as the baking is so good they could have made it better if they wanted to. Overpriced too.

Summary: Go for the cheap and excellent pastries, don't stay for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank Rik S
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stopped into this restaurant for dinner, dessert & coffee. The window had some amazing looking pastries. After putting in our order, we were informed that the Paella Mixta that we ordered was no longer available & had to change our order. Not even 5 minutes later a table behind us ordered 5 Paella Mixtas & GOT THEM!!! I got upset but my level-headed husband said to calm down & ask our waiter. We asked our waiter why the table behind us was getting the same dish that we were told wasn't available & he brushed us off saying that it's was because he went & got the ingredients. (Pretty much told us they were important enough to get the stuff for it but we weren't). We ate our second choice paella (which was crunchy & not what we expected) and left. We were too upset to try any dessert or coffee. Nobody apologized or made any attempt to remedy the situation. To top it off I was sick to my stomach the rest of the evening. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I first stumbled upon this pastelaria a couple of years ago when visiting Lisbon.
During that visit my family and I had coffee here every day of the trip!

Since then I have moved to Lisbon and this is still my favourite pastelaria in town!
I love popping in for coffee, a pastry or fruit salad, standing at the counter before rushing off to my next appointment.