“Loved it!”
Review of Safestay Lisbon

Safestay Lisbon
Ranked #26 of 504 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Yes there are a lot of stairs to get to the hostel, but lisbon in general has a ton of stairs!
#1- staff were unbeliveably friendly and full of advice
#2- rooms and bathrooms were very clean and cleaned daily
#3- great location to Barrio Alto for evening drinks and meals
#4- online directions to find hostel were good but once there take the cleaner stair path which is to the left when you walk out the hostel doors.
#5- do the free walking tour it will be well worth your time especially if sebastion is your guide!

2  Thank 0_Missy_0

Reviewed 10 January 2014

It was the best hostel ever! Great STAFF, very SAFE and great facilities- the rooms are spacious and the lounge is great to meet other travellers. They even have an international dinner every sunday. I'll definitely come back. I'll miss you guys!! :)

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 5 January 2014

A decent hostel but perhaps not much better than average. The stairs inside are a killer and the hostel is built on a hill - good exercise being the only real good thing to come out of that. Good location, right next to Praza Restauradores. I saw one member of staff being really rude to another person staying in my room which didn't do anything for the appearance of the hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnthonyJamesH92
Reviewed 23 December 2013

At the beggining, you've got to climb the mountain top, passing throught lisbon street art which is a beautifull contrast with old houses you'll also find. And then, you face equity point. Inside, locals artists made a really good job in the commun room and the bedrooms. Everythings is clean, arranged just it has to be. You can talk with personnel without being in another room which is, for me, really important. Well, this is a perfect place to meet people, personnel get along and obviously hostelers get along with them. If you need any advice, they know exactly what you need in lisbon. I really liked that place and I'll comme back soon!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Marylou P
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Nice and clean place in the middle of nothing. Everything else is OK, but you have to climb to mountain top! If you are young and have fresh feet, this is a perfect place for you. And please be prepared with something special from your country for a weekly Sunday dinner!

Room Tip: Just ask. Room 3 has own garden.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Antti R
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Where to even begin with this disgraceful excuse of an establishment. I stayed here in August with a friend during our trip to Portugal. Now let me just begin with that the stay itself isn't the only reason it has this rating. You have to lugg your luggage up loads of stairs ( like most hostels these days so fine) rooms were disgustingly hot no one could sleep and the kitchen a mess but the main reason for this tripadvisor comment is the fact I left a jewellery bag filled with all my jewellery along with my late mothers which is of huge sentimental value to me. I understand it is my fault I left it there in a rush to get out of the sauna of a room but the fact is I contacted the hotel and after hundreds of emails and phone calls unanswered they finally replied stating they had the bag but could not send it to me due to Hostel policy but it "is here and we will keep it safe and sound". Brilliant they made my day I basically had to arrange a courier when I had finished travelling and could have it sent to an address I was staying permanently only to be told now after again 30 emails, phone calls and promises to call me back all unanswered ( this hostel will not reply to you once you have checked out and they have your money ) they tell me they have thrown my jewellery bag out in the bin. Umm what happened to safe and sound!?.. Thank you Equity Point for having "thrown out" all I had left of my late mother. As I work in the industry I know that lost property does not just get thrown out but is given to staff if they want it and as the lady who checked my friend I in "loved" my necklace and my bag was filled with beautiful statement pieces one guess where my safe and sound bag has wound up.

Even though it is my fault having left the bag there the response and assistance was the most unprofessional I have ever come across and management here needs to be trained on general manners let alone customer service. This is my first bad rating as I generally see the best in most establishments but not this one.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a great hostel in a great location, just be prepared to climb a lot of hills and stairs to get to it!

The rooms are clean spacious and there are plenty of bathrooms so having a shower on a morning isn't an issue. There is a big kitchen with everything you need and breakfast is provided. There is a lovely common room and terrace so it was great for us as we were a big group.

This was my first stay in a hostel and I have to stay it has converted me! I would definitely recommend it and would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends