“Lovely wee place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of O Cantinho Das Gaveas

O Cantinho Das Gaveas
Ranked #1,283 of 4,016 Restaurants in Lisbon
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
“Lovely wee place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Great little street corner find. Yummy seafood and nice staff. Would pop back for a simple meal again. Not fancy or particularly special bit nice for what it is.

• Visited July 2013

• Polish first
Wisconsin
“Great Value for Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

My travel buddy and I were wandering around in the Bairro Alto tonight looking for a place to eat when we spotted this restaurant. We were greeted by the friendly staff and quickly shown to a table. There were only a few other diners (at 7:30pm), and the atmosphere of the place was quite nice. After a week in Portugal, we have learned that if you do not eat the tapas that they put on the table, you do not pay for them. And it's a good thing we passed on the tapas as our dishes were very filling on their own. My friend ordered the shrimp rice with shellfish sauce (9,50 euro), and I ordered the pasta with cod and shrimp (9,90 euro). Both of us received large portions, and the flavor was good. I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but it was not bland and boring as some reviews have described the food. The drinks were more expensive than we have experienced in many restaurants (2,00 euro for a can of 7-up), but I would definitely recommend this place to someone looking for a meal with good value for money.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank RunsAmok
Sacramento, California
“Mysteriously Expensive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

We, like other reviewers, went here on a recommendation from our B & B. This being our second restaurant in Lisboa, we were pleasantly surprised to see the bread accompanied by butter, four cheeses, olives, and squid salad. We ordered the grilled cod with cabbage and the pork with chips (actual chips not fries). The house wine was about three-four half glasses for 4.90 Euro (not bad). The cod lacked flavor. It had a hard shell on top and was cooked perfectly but the flavor was bland. The cabbage, however, was quite good as half was pickeled and half was standard. The pork was full of flavor and went well with the cabbage from my plate. For dessert, we had pudding that was delicious.

So, time for the bill. We calculated 30 Euro max for the food based on what we ordered. Needless to say we were surprised when the bill came out to 50 Euro! We were charged 1.40 for two tiny pieces of bread, 6 for cheese that we didnt eat!, and 6.5 for some pretty good squid salad. Pretty sneaky guys, pretty sneaky. Way to drive away business!

If I didn't feel like I was just obbed, then I might go back. The food wasn't bad. But these guys are crooks. Stay away.I've heard this is a theme in Spain/Portugal. Well, not to this extent. Out of the 20 restaurants we visited we were offered bread at all of them but never the whole 20 Euro course like we got from these jokers. Most restaurants also tell you in red ink on the menu that they charge for these "tapas." Clearly, this place didnt.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 29getaway
Hamburg, Germany
“Great fresh fish with spicies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I can not understand the critical bad reviews of this restaurant.
I am living in Lisboa since a couple month now and this has been my favorite restaurant since I tryed it the first time.
I have been here a couple times and it was always good. I can recommend the fish, especially the grillend salmon and tuna. It is grilled perfectly and has great spicies. Every meal is served with seasonal vegetables as well.
Also the sangria is the best I have had in Lisboa.

The bacalau is a portugese fish which most of the foreigners do not like anywhere in portugal. It has its own taste.

I recommend this place. It has great and fresh fish and very good prices.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“Nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

Based on a recomendation from our B & B owner went here for early evening meal after a long day walking with family. Did not disappoint. Food was good and service eccellent from an English speaking waiter. The location with some music made for a good night. Children ate everything before a walk up the hill.