“A Fine Place to Study Portuguese Romantic,Naturalistic,and Realistic Art”

Casa-Museu Dr. Anastacio Goncalves
Ranked #171 of 448 things to do in Lisbon
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This is an under-rated impressive collection by a private collector and friend of Calouste Gulbenkian, housed in an Art Nouveau building.
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Although I liked the Chiado Art Museum in Lisbon and the Soares Dos Reis Art Museum in Porto better for the study of Portuguese Art,I still would highly recommend this art museum for studying and enjoying Portuguese Romantic(Mario Augusto),Naturalistic(Silva Porto),and Realistic(Joao Vaz,Jose Malhoa)Art..I especially liked Silva Porto's"Prairie"and Joao Vaz'"Beach"and "Church Pulpit".This is a small house art museum located close to the Saldanha Metro Station.I spent two and half hours relishing its paintings and Chinese Ceramics from the Ming and Ching Periods.about.6 weeks ago.

4  Thank margatemensch2016

Reviewed 30 October 2013

After reading the few, but glowing reviews on here for this museum, I thought I’d crowbar the place into my itinerary so I would get to visit it too. On hindsight I wouldn’t have missed much had I not done so. In my opinion the museum is not the hidden gem some think it is. There are only a few rooms downstairs and they are looking a bit worse for wear considering its not that old. There are some nice interesting things to see I suppose. Upstairs is one big space and there are some nice paintings (although you don’t know who painted them) and other things. It doesn’t take long to visit I suppose. I was in there for about half an hour. It’s not dear (only 3 euros) and if you go on a Sunday like we did it was free before 2pm. And its not far from the Gulbenkian so you could combine the visit, although I would suggest you visit here first otherwise you will find it an anti-climax.

4  Thank ooo-boogar
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I cannot understand how the guidebooks overlook this little gem of a museum. The other TripAdvisor reviewers have it right. The house is beautifully decorated, giving you a feeling for how the owner lived. The paintings, by José Malhoa (the previous owner), Silva Porto, and others, are magnificent, suffering only from the fact that many are in narrow hallways, when you would like to be able to step back further. Excellent collections of Chinese pottery, intricate furniture, and other furnishings make the visit that much more worthwhile.

I'm only giving it four stars, because if you have to choose, pick the Gulbenkian and the Carriage Museum over this; but if you can fit into your trip, you will relish it.

2  Thank DanKonigsbach
Reviewed 14 September 2013

for sure you will not find anything about this museum in your guide book, it's not very popular but i can assure you it's one of the best you can find in lisbon. this is the beautiful house of a doctor (dr anastacio goncalves) who also happened to be an art collector. after his death the house with everything in it was bequeathed to the portuguese state and became a museum. here you will find
a beautiful collection of portuguese paintings (19-20th century), portuguese furniture (17-19th century) and the best portuguese public collection of 16th and 17thchinese porcelaine.

mark it on your map and don't miss it

9  Thank deired
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I agree with all of the positive reviews below. The only non-Portuguese language tour on offer when we went was French which we do not speak well, but the guide spoke slowly and clearly and we had no trouble. Even without his excellent commentary, just seeing the place and all of its treasures would make it a treat - suggest visitors take a quick look at the history before going so that it doesn't matter if there is no tour available.

3  Thank profecto