Brown's Downtown Hotel
US$202
US$121
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Oeiras(Lisbon)(Great Value!)
US$65
  • Room Service
US$335
US$327
Elvoline
All reviewsdocking stationfree coffee machineapple computersimac computershower doorexcellent locationceiling fansmall kitchenettepillow menubreakfast is servedsuperior roombaixa chiado metro stationkitchen areamini fridgecity breakenjoyed my staydouble bed
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Overall I enjoyed my stay at hotel browns Downtown. There were many positives, but a few important negatives that prevent me from giving this hotel five stars.

Positives:
Great location
Clean
Large bathroom
Awesome shower
iPads, TV, and apple computer in each room
Free espresso, hot chocolate, and tea in the lobby
Modern, comfortable lobby
Cute kitchenette with stove top, fridge, and mini safe

Of course there are so many more positives, like the cool lighting, pretty decor, and ample amount of mirrors in the room.

Cons:
There were really only two cons. First and most important was the bed. Myself and my friend both agreed that the bed was extremely uncomfortable. Neither of us slept well. There seems to be two twin beds pushed together that causes a hard ridge in the middle of the bed. It's so uncomfortable and prevents anyone from getting close. The bed was also really hard! I felt like I needed to sleep on top of the covers just to have a little cushion between my back and the bed.
The last con is that the doors do not prevent noise from entering. You can hear the person down the hall unlocking their door, and I had the misfortune of being woken up by the cleaning ladies talking loudly in the hall early in the morning. Every noise sounds like its in your room.

Overall my stay was great. The staff was extremely friendly, and helpful. The mood of the hotel is relaxing, and the location is excellent. I loved this hotel, but not sure I would come back due to the awful beds. If you don't mind sleeping on a hard bed, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It's more than worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Diazi
Reviewed 5 June 2013

After a recent stay at Browns (our 2nd), 2 pieces of luggage needed to be forwarded to Gibraltar on our behalf. The UPS shipment tag we had arranged did not work. The staff at Browns has diligently worked with us via email to locate another shipper and handle all the details! Thanks again for a great stay and going above and beyond to help us with this issue.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Browns Downtown is a great little city centre hotel. The location is great being just off the main square, perfectly situated right between the two main tourist spots and a very short walk from the seafront where you can hop on the train/tram to local towns.

The hotel itself is very cool. The atmosphere in the reception area is lovely, just very relaxed to have a coffee and read a book. The rooms are excellent. A handy little kitchen area to keep food and drinks in to help make the time in the room more enjoyable. They have also provided iPads, iMacs and iHome audio systems in the room as well as TV screens so there's loads to keep you occupied. The 4 poster bed was excellent-very comfortable. The only negative is the bathroom and the lack of privacy. The bathroom is very small with only a sliding door to separate you from the bed. It's not a place to stay if you're a new couple.

The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful though and cannot do enough to make the stay all the more enjoyable.

1  Thank Gemma B
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The location for this hotel is perfect and the place looks very modern and nice. The rooms are clean with a good atmosphere and staff are very helpful. The down side is that while you are in the room you can hear everything that is happening in the corridor like if the door was open, The rooms are very small and there are too many screens, pictures, frames and decoration in general. There is a computer and a iPad available in the room but the iPad is attached to a table which makes it a bit useless. There is not a bar or a restaurant which makes the place look more like apartments than a hotel. In general I would recommend it as it is a nice place to stay but it definitely has some areas to improve.

Room Tip: Bring some earplugs if you want a quiet room
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We arrived at Brown's early in the morning at the end of a 10 day European vacation. Our flight from Barcelona arrived at about 930, which we knew was early but coudln't be helped. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were warmly greeted and told a bit about the area. We were told that around room wouldn't be ready until after noon, so we should head out and explore the city a bit. We politely agreed, but in reality we had less than 4 hours of sleep so we weren't very anxious to see a whole lot without a nap.

After a couple of hours of touring the downtown, we returned to the hotel. We were informed it still was not ready, so we sat in their beautiful lobby for the next hour and waited. Finally around 1230 we were able to get into the room.

The room was stunning. Just beautiful in every way possible. Well decorated and spacious, it also was equiped with an iMac for us to use, as well as an iPad. I will say, the iPad was odd - since it is located directly next to the iMac and is bolted to the table, I didn't quite understand why it was there.

Here is where we ran into a few hiccups - first, the room was warm, so I turned on the AC. Apparently the entire hotel is heated/cooled off a central heater/cooler... so the air is either hot for the entire room or is cool for every single room. We turned on what we thought was the AC but after an hour... the room was even more stuffy and hot then when we first arrived. I quickly determined it was hot air coming out of the vent and called downstairs. We were told that the AC had been turned on and to give it more time. We did as we were asked but soon figured out that the entire hotel had the heat on, even though it was headed for a warm spring day. We were assured by the staff that it would be fixed by that evening - I am pleased to say it was and we had no further issues during our stay with the air.

But, then that evening we decided to take showers before heading out (since we were sweating in the room). That's when the next issue happened - the shower flooded the entire bathroom, flowed into the main room and even into the hall. Apparently, the water flows out faster than the drain can handle and it overflowed the basin quickly and spread everywhere. It took every towel in the room to get the water under control. The staff asked that we head out for a bit why they mopped up and brought us new towels.

It was then that we let them know that it wouldn't be a problem for us to leave and since they would be cleaning up anyway, they could replace the plastic liquid soap dispenser in the bathroom... since it was cracked and leaking all over the bathroom floor too.

That evening after returning, we decided to see what was on TV - but soon found that there wasn't a single channel working. The staff said they were in the process of switching services and it would be working the next day. The next day, I checked again and there still weren't any channels showing on the TV - so I ran the channel-locator option in the TV's menu and suddenly over 50 channels appeared... I suspect it was working the night before as well.

So... those were the issues - here's the good stuff. The staff was very nice during everything. The room was very comfortable and being able to use an iMac while in the room was very nice. The rooms are quiet, as is the hotel in general.

I have to say... the hotel is beautiful but almost has the feeling that it's not being maintained well. From the drain now working, to the tv not being programmed correctly, to the shower door handle coming off - oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when you pulled on the handle to close the shower door, it came off at the bottom! - it just seems like a beautiful hotel was built and no one has kept up with the proper maintenance a hotel requires. One staff member actually told me that they intended to do work on the rooms but they keep being so busy that they don't have the time to do the work... just a suggestion but perhaps you should make the time.

Brown's is a beautiful place. With a little bit of maintenance, it could easily be a 5 star hotel for me. Even though I am giving it an average rating now... I would stay here again in the future to see if the hotel has made progress or slipped.

Room Tip: Don't get one where the shower will leak all over your room.