“Comfortable and quiet; a perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Florida

Hotel Florida
Ranked #109 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
palm beach fl.
“Comfortable and quiet; a perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

This stylish hotel, one block from the Marques de Pombal monument, is a great place to stay. Our room was huge (with a small second bedroom!) and very quiet. The location was central to eversthing. We could walk to most of the places we wanted to go or take the nearby metro if necessary. The staff was pleasant and helpful, the neighborhood was clean and seemed safe. At 11 Euro, the hotel breakfast is too high for those of us on a budget. There's a McDonald's two blocks away with coffee as delicious as any you'll find in the best cafes around town, so save your breakfast euros.

3 Thank fritsch5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I booked this hotel via a Lastminute deal with Top Secret Hotels so didn't know where we would be staying until after the trip was bought and paid for. Very unusual for a control freak such as me, but I'd decided to try my luck and see what happened.

Bad decision. Superficially, I hated this hotel. However, there were a number of positives, so I'll start with them. Before going on though, I must point out that we paid peanuts for the hotel, so really this is about how they position themselves as 4*, and offer facilities and services that are simply not delivered. However, in terms of value for money for a clean basic 3*, this could not be faulted.

The location is very convenient and near to Marques de Pombal metro so makes for easy get-around. We purchased a metro card the first day (for around 5 euros) but in fact the rest of the week we walked everywhere and it was fine. The shops near to the hotel are pretty pricey - Armani, Prada etc, but nice to mooch around if you like that sort of thing. Nice little cafes and pastry shops nearby.

The hotel is spotlessley clean. The beds are extremely comfortable (although two singles and not the double I'd booked) and the sheets crisp and clean as you would expect in a 4 star place. One of the best night’s sleep I’d had in ages.

Now the not so good.

The design is horrible! I appreciate that is down to personal taste - but on what planet does sleeping in a sparsely furnished room, with garish 70s style curtains, plastic chairs and a horribly dated bathroom equal "hollywood glamour"? Sticking a poster above each bed does not quite cut it for me, I'm afraid, particularly as my poster was Godzilla! No doubt the intended theme there is retro - but whilst there may have been plenty of retro going on it seemed to me to contain nothing but the "bad" retro, not the good! Yuk yuk and yuk.

The winter garden looked unkempt with overflowing ashtrays and decking badly in need of a sweep. However, and to be fair to them, it is now November and we were in the middle of unseasonably warm weather so perhaps they had not expected anyone to want to use it.

There is a mini bar (ie fridge) in the room - empty save for a note inviting me to call to reception if I want anything. Pointless.

There is supposed to be a small gym - in fact small doesn’t cover it! There is a treadmill, a static bike and an inflatable ball. No weights at all! The first day there were two bottles of water and two apples left on the side in the gym (presumably for users). However, my BF committed the unthinkable sin and drank one of the bottles of water when he went to the gym - the next day both bottles had been removed. Clearly they were for show only. I found that level of petty penny pinching to be extremely rude and unwelcoming!

Despite the pictures on the website, there is no main restaurant within the hotel (there is a breakfast room, I believe) although they do have a tie up with a tacky American Diner up the road (called something like "the Great Disaster") and trust me, it looked it. We went to go there for cocktails one night but it looked so unappealing we left. We decided instead to have a drink at the hotel bar but this "bar" turned out to be a couple of plastic chairs at one end of reception next to an unmanned counter and some more chairs the other end of reception under a staircase. There was nothing to tempt you in - no drinks menus, no music, no people! It was completely unwelcoming and not somewhere I would feel comfortable sitting drinking alone in a hotel foyer! We would have perhaps gone to the room and enjoyed a glass of wine or beer from the mini bar but – oh yes – the mini bar is empty!

We skipped breakfast as it was something like 22 euro for the two of us. We went to a nice coffee shop at the end of the road and consumed copious amounts of coffee and ate some fabulous pastries for a total of 5 euro (for two of us) instead.

I suppose the key to all this is expectation. Had this hotel billed itself as a 3* I would have thought "fair enough" and probably gone up with my rating. However, there is no way, in my opinion, that this lives up to a 4* which can only lead to disappointment.

With all the above said, I would still recommend it to travellers wanting to get their heads down in a good clean fresh bed and in a nice location. However, if you expect more than that go elsewhere.

As if to prove the point that its not all bad we actually ended up extending our stay by two nights due to our flights being cancelled - we could have gone somewhere else but decided in the end that the hassle of finding somewhere and moving again was too much to bear (we'd already moved around quite a bit by then as we'd been on a city cruise!) and this was clean and convenient, we decided not to leap into the unknown at that stage! The manager was extremely accomodating, and even matched the cheap deal I had originally found on the internet for my additional nights. So if for that alone, the customer service was helpful, although the receptionist could afford to smile once in a while!

5 Thank ellesbelles57
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Hotel Florida for 5 nights while visiting Lisbon. It was a good choice because the location is excellent as the hotel is located at the border of the old downtown and the commercial district and the Margues de Pombal metro station is right at the corner.
It takes 10 minutes to walk to Rossio, the main square in Baixa or you can take the underground (2 stops). Even at night it felt safe to walk in the neighborhood where the hotel is located at. From Barrio Alto it took 15 minutes to walk to the hotel.

The bus nr22 has a stop at Marques de Pombal (100metres from the hotel) and this bus takes you to the airport. (the bus ride takes around 35-40 minutes from/to airport.

During the 5 days the room was always clean.

Our only small problem was that our room was right next to the elevators so sometimes we could hear the elevators moving.

We liked the movie themed rooms and quotes from the movies on the wall.

1 Thank _chaka_82
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

While most guests would rave about the superb location, the reasonable prices and size of the rooms, personally I was very impressed with the Hollywood glamour and retro design of this place. The lobby is decorated like an old Tango Barrio, with the floor in checkered black and white with a white grand piano in the middle and the stairs with classic banisters to the left (think Breakfast in Tiffany's).

The lifts are decorated with huge posters of Audrey Hepburn (who else!) and Humphrey Bogart. As you take the lifts to the room, one can tell that the building (and the lifts) belong to a different era but they have been very well maintained and preserved. The rooms facing the front entrance are all extremely large and large windows overlooking the street, if one were to leave the windows open, it may be a little noisy. The rooms all have individual classic Hollywood cinema theme. The rooms towards the back have either limited view or overlook a small courtyard. The rooms are generally clean and the bathrooms are in good condition.

The breakfast is good with a wide selection of food and drinks. The break fast area overlooks the Marques de Pombal Square and in a good day (which is very often in Lisbon), one can just sit there and watch the world go by.

The hotel staff are very helpful. They provided free maps, gave a few pointers on the places around the area and helped with arranging for taxis.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank KahChin
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

stayed one night when on business travel. stylish room - seemingly all with movies as theme. the view from my room (420) was to a dark courtyard.

minibar was empty and the bathroom was only average - not really dirty but average. layout was bad (climbing into the bathtub was not that easy). good soaps (olive oil) were provided!

no free wifi - price was said to be 5 EUR per 24hrs.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kamillentea
Porto Alegre
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I have just return from a trip to Portugal and I stayed three nights at the Florida. Actually, it was not my first choice in Lisbon but the city was fully booked due to a huge medical congress. I manage to confirm the Florida few days before departure.
I was travelling with a friend but we booked two single rooms and arrived in different flights. She got earlier to the hotel and was given a huge room facing the street; my flight was delayed and when I got to the Florida I was given a small single room (618) with double bed with no view, facing a small internal courtyard. As a travel agent, I was a bit disappointed but I knew the fact of fully booking all over the city. The room was good and clean. Bathroom was also good but every now and then a very bad smell came out from the drains and it was disgusting.
Breakfast is very god and complete served in a restaurant area facing Marques do Pombal Square.
Location is great in an excellent point to tour the city. Right at Liberdade Avenue and close to the old part of town as well as to the Park and El Corte Inglez. Staff is good and helpful.
I would stay again at the Florida but next time I hope to get a room with view and no smell.

Room Tip: Front rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ALBERTO_BR
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

I just returned from a three night break staying at the Florida. On the plus side, it's very central and the staff are excellent. It's walking distance from Bairro Alto, Chiado, Baixa, plus the Gulbenkian and Modern Art Museum. And there is a metro station a minute away from the hotel if you need to travel a little further. Staff all spoke English and were helpful and pleasant every time we asked them for something. We didn't eat breakfast there as it seemed a little expensive and there are enough pastelarias within walking distance of the hotel to eat out for cheaper. On the minus side, the area directly around the hotel is a little soulless and the film theming of the hotel feels charmingly eccentric at first but a little forced by checkout. But overall I'd recommend it, good service and value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank samlowry1972
David_Costa, General Manager at Hotel Florida, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Sam Lowry,

Thanks for taking some time to review Hotel Florida and recommending us.

We noted that you had the opportunity to try the excelent pastry at the coffee-shops around the hotel and maybe also in downtown . That is a very good alternative.

We look forward to receive you once again.

Best regards,