“BEWARE! Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!”
Review of Olaias Park Hotel

Olaias Park Hotel
Ranked #135 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 27 November 2007

This is quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. We arrived late after booking through a website that we use all the time and have never had trouble with. When we arrived the lady at the front desk claimed she didn't receive our booking (even though we had a print out with the confirmation number etc). She then threw a fit because some mistake was made and they were "fully booked" and made us feel like we had done something wrong! I was so shocked with her rudeness - I have never experienced anything like it in the service industry. I requested a full refund as I was wary of staying in a hotel with such incredibly rude staff and was told this wasn't possible. We were then put in a smoking room which where the air circulation was dreadful - resulting in very dry throats!

The buffet breakfast (free with our accommodation - another thing the woman was angry about) was so bad that we didn't go back after the first morning. The food was dreadful and it was so packed we had trouble finding a table.

All staff at the hotel were very rude and unprofessional - prehaps they do not pay their employees enough because they had no idea how you should treat a hotel guest. They also charged for strange things - for example, we were charged three euros for asking room service to bring us an ice bucket to chill our wine!

I would absolutely never stay at this hotel again nor will I ever stay at a Golden Tulip hotel which obviously has very low standards.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sunkist_michelle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)

Reviewed 23 October 2007

I've only spent one night at this hotel (thank God!), while my husband attended a congress there. It was a very bad experience. First of all, the location is very very bad, far away from everything, in an old residential area with no charm or interest. The staff was rude and plain. The building is old, badly decorated, tired and soulless. Our room was tiny, with two very uncomfortable single beds and a TV that didn't worked properly. The bathroom was very old fashioned, and hadn't been properly cleaned (on the bath tub, we found the used soap from the last guest...) It is definitely not 4 star! The breakfast was not as bad as we expected after such a terrible experience, but was not enough to raise my opinion about this hotel. If you wish a pleasant stay in Lisbon, stay away from it!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Parisienne
Reviewed 16 October 2007

My husband and I are just back from a long weekend in this hotel in Lisbon. We were a little put off at first sight because as some of the other reviewers have mentioned it is a little far out and not in a particularly attractive area.However the Metro station is 30 seconds away.
We were given "a particularly nice room" according to the receptionist and when we got into it we wondered what the others were like! There was nothing actually wrong with it - just a little old fashioned - but it was clean, quiet, the bed was really comfortable and it did have a great view as we were on the 17th floor and at the front of the hotel and to be fair there was plently of room so we got quite fond of it !
We found the reception staff friendly and helpful and in particular the porter/ bell boy?( I'm not sure of his correct title but I think his name was Marcos,) but he could not have friendlier or more helpful. He spotted us leaving the hotel soon after we had booked in and he came over to check had we a map and having got us one from the lobby proceeded to mark on it the places of interest and how to get to the further ones by tram/bus etc.
We didn't have dinner in the hotel so I can't comment on it but the breakfast was great! Fresh fruit salad,lots of different fresh rolls, cheese, cold meat,croissants, pastries and constantly replaced so nothing ever ran out.
Overall I would recommend this hotel if you are happy enough to use the metro for every journey no matter where you are going.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2007

On arriving, I was ignored at reception for a while (a later Portuese guest being given preference). I was then given the usual with no smile and the key to a room. On entering it, it was obviously occupied.

On returning to reception - no apology, no customer service, but after a lot of unsmiling huffs, a key to an unoccpied room. Meanwhile my porter deserted me because a party of Americans (rich pickings!) had arrived. Not impressed.

Dinner - the service was good, but the meal below average with stringy, grisly and meagre lamb chops than it would embarrass a transport cafe to serve up.

However, the room itself was fine - and very quiet. Location was OK for business purposes, but I am glad that I booked a more centrallly located hotel for leisure afterwards.

I would try another one.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Thetruthwillout
Reviewed 19 September 2007

I stayed at the Altis Park for six nights in September 2007. I was in Lisbon on business and stayed in one of the hotel's suites. On the positive side, the room was quite large, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom suite was well appointed and clean and there was a separate television room. A colleague stayed in a regular room and the standard appeared to be a lot lower.

The breakfast in the hotel was quite good for a continental type breakfast but the irish/english breakfast was relatively poor. The hotel staff vary in terms of their efficiency and ability to speak english. Most try to be helpful but some are inept regardless.

The location of the hotel is poor in the sense that there is nothing to do in the neighbourhood and the neighboorhood itself is quite run-down although safe. That said, most neighbourhoods in Lisbon seem to fit this description.
The metro is near by and taxis are cheap so this is not a huge problem with I would favour a city centre location in hindsight.

The leisure facility is off-sight and expensive. It consists of an outdoor pool and a gym with an indoor pool. (There also seemed to be racket sports available but I did not use these.)
The cost of using the gym for a hotel guest was €10. This entitled usage of the gym and the indoor pool. Having paid for this, I attempted to join a couple of friends who were sun-bathing at the outdoor pool and was informed that this would cost me a further €10 - absolutely ridiculous. The facilities are supposed to be available at a discounted rate to hotel guests but I'd be very surprised to find that the locals are paying more than this.

Overall, I found my stay to be average. I would not consider staying at Altis Park again, chiefly on location grounds but I would not visit Lisbon again by choice.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2007

I personally would not stay in this hotel again!

Their service was poor, the staff, especially receptionists, were unhelpful, rude and abrupt.

The advertised facilities were non-existent. I tried to use the pool, which indecently is in a health centre a few streets away across a very busy and dangerous double road, the pool manager told us we could use it if we pay despite us being from the hotel!!! So much for free use of the pool. Even if you do decide to use it you have to spend more money and buy a swimming cap from them. They also advertised an external heated pool at the same health club but that was undergoing maintenance.

Although they advertised a car park included in my stay package, they billed me an extortionate price for the using their car park and conveniently told me they forget to mention the charges. The porters park the cars and they also conveniently forget to mention any charges. On one occasion I asked them about any charges for the parking and they confirmed it was complimentary, but on leaving the hotel they presented me with a large bill for the parking!

I booked two double interconnecting rooms next to each other as I had children but the hotel also failed to provide them, I was given two rooms that were apart!

And to top of all this nasty experience, there was no wireless internet connection

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank MoJoUK
Reviewed 14 April 2007

We just returned from Portugal and spent two nights at the Atlis Park. We felt the hotel was an excellent value for the price. The room was large and very clean, the staff extremely helpful and the breakfast was very good and quite varied. The location is not right downtown, but the metro station is steps away. All in all, we would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family