“A very bad experience”
Review of Olaias Park Hotel

Olaias Park Hotel
Ranked #141 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 13 January 2010

In the middle of nowhere. Stains on the carpet and on the bed covers. Bathroom not properly cleaned. Cold-shoulder service. Minibar locked (and no key). Electric wires on sight. Do you call that dirty water a coffee?
They have a shuttle bus to the airport, but let you spend your money for the taxi, not suggesting you the free alternative.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2009

The room was too small for 4 stars hotel, the food was not on a Block Table and the chef was not very good. No balcony, no view, no swimming pool, no window wich can be opened. I will never stay at that hotel if I go to Lisboa next time.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank denny_ivanova
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I stayed in Lisbon for a week with a large group. Having read previous reviews before going, I was very positively surprised by the hotel, which seems to cater mostly for groups and business travellers. The hotel was very clean, rooms were spacious and well equipped. The staff was friendly and helpful and buffet breakfast was plentiful.
The hotel is located half-way between the city center and the airport, but there is a Metro station only two steps away which we found very practical. It will take you about 15 minutes into the very center of Lisbon. Taxis are very cheap as well, but subjected to frequent traffic jams.
There is a supermarket in the shopping mall right next to the hotel and on the other side, a nice café called "Charlot". Other than that, the hotel is not in an area where you can do a lot except for getting on the Metro.
I'd say if you can get a rate below 90 or 100 Euro per night, the hotel really is a very good deal.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 4 October 2008

My travel agent booked this hotel for my group of twelve ladies before I read any reviews. When I read the reviews I wanted to change to another hotel but they were all booked up for this particular weekend. I did not tell my friends that most of the reviews were bad and went there with fingers crossed that they would not kill me for booking such a bad hotel. I need not have been worried, the Hotel was excellent. The front desk staff were not overly friendly except for one who smiled all the time and was very helpful and when you made an effort with the others they were also friendly and efficient. The bellboy and doorman were also very friendly and helpful. The place was spotless and the rooms were spacious. Breakfast was also excellent plenty of choice. The restaurant was also good, we ate there the first night and thought it very reasonable for the main courses, when the bill came all the starters like bread and butter, olives and other little appetisers which we thought were free were charged for which brought the bill up considerably, but it is the same all over Lisbon, on the other nights we sent back the things we did not want. They forgot to charge for two bottles of wine and when we pointed this out they said 'since we forgot to put it on the bill it is on the house'. On the second night we ate out at Parque das Nacoes, some were happy with their meal and some were very unhappy so we decided to eat in the hotel on our last night as it was Sunday night and a lot of the good restaurants close on sundays. Well it was a big change from the first night, the meal was excellent and they could not do enough for us. There was our group and just another couple in the restaurant which was a pity, I suppose people are afraid to eat there after reading the bad reviews. The only bad thing about the hotel is the location, you have to take two metros to reach the city centre, the station is just yards from the hotel which is good but after one stop you have to change to a different line which is a nuisance. The free shuttle advertised by the hotel is not really a shuttle as such, it goes from this hotel to their other hotel near the centre and then to the airport and back again, it stops at lunch time and finishes at 4pm and only takes eight people so we could never avail of it. We all loved Lisbon and had a fantastic time seeing all the sights including a day trip to Fatima. Carmel Yore. Ireland.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank CYore
Reviewed 5 May 2008

We stayed in Altis Park for one week. The hotel is not near to the city centre but a metro station is just outside of the hotel so you will need about 15-20 minutes to rich the city centre. It's not a new hotel but if you could find a price around to 70 Euro it's certain a good deal to choose this hotel.
I decided to write this review because even I travel a lot, first time I found a so friendly staff in a hotel! Especially the men who work’s in the entrance of the hotel are so friendly and scheduled and they impressed me a lot.
If you are thinking to visit Lisbon I certainly advise to take the decision. Is one of the most beautiful towns in Europe, and if you could find a good deal For Altis Park Hotel, don’t be afraid to choose this hotel.
Great memories from Lisbon and from the staff of Altis Park Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank jimakos
Reviewed 3 April 2008

This hotel is about halfway between Lisbon airport and downtown (old city).
Plus points:-
- About 10 mins taxi ride from airport and 10-15mins to downtown
- Metro station (Olaias) is directly opposite hotel
- Good views of city and river from upper floors
- clean rooms and friendly hotel staff
- moderately priced

Minus points:-
- Too far from downtown to walk
- No swimming pool attached to hotel; don't be fooled by website photos, as the pool pictured is a sports club 100m away and it will cost you 10 euros to use the facilities (plus 5 euros to buy swimming cap)
- right next to main road, which is busy and noisy even at night. Traffic noise can be heard from the 10th floor and I'm not even a light sleeper. Might be different from the 17th floor
- No atmosphere - just a standard modern chain hotel
- in room wired internet access, but you have to pay and when I was here there were no access cards available. I think there may be wireless internet reception in the reception area
- not the cheapest hotel for the facilities offered
- buffet breakfast was adequate, but nothing special
- some distance away (20mins taxi) from conference center (Centro Congressos de Lisboa) if you are in Lisbon to attend a meeting there

In summary, unless you have to be based in this part of Lisbon, surely there must be another hotel that can provide all of this and more for a similar price. I was here on a work associated trip (someone else paying), but I wouldn't choose it to stay for my vacation.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed 16 March 2008

Dine in the Navegadores restaurant at your peril: having arrived on a Wednesday morning, we were exhausted by evening time so decided (against our usual instincts) to try the hotel dining experience, despite the cost.
We were shocked to find the room (contrary to the glossy dressed-up photos in the brochure and the Internet) to have a shabby retirement-style worn out pastel green carpet and mottled walls (a' la "Changing Rooms") which had a distinct 1970s-80s feel to it, not at all what we expected from a supposedly modern 4-star hotel in 2008.
As soon as we sat down we realised what we were possibly in for, but given the location of the hotel, without hopping on the tube, there would have been nowhere else to go except for a fried chicken place nearby (not really what we were looking for) but we gave them the benefit of the doubt hoping the food would transcend the quality of the environment.
The cover consisted of bread, pre-packaged tuna pate and 2 sachets of garlic butter and plain butter, followed by 2 chewy fried samosas and 2 deep-fried meat croquettes (clearly both microwaved). This did not bode well for the main course: the bacalhau and Portuguese-style steak were both tiny and only came served with potatoes. The presentation was poor (both served in a small, grubby round dish).
The biggest farce was the dessert though. I ordered traditional pasteis de nata which was fine, however they seemed completely thrown by an order for cheese, which was on the menu itself for €8, twice the price of any other dessert. When asked what cheeses were available the waitress replied "yellow cheese" and "cheap cheese" (no joke). My pasteis arrived which was fine, and then we were on for a good 20-minute wait for the cheese. When it finally arrived, it was literally a plate of cheese, no crackers, no grapes, no butter, no trimmings. Hilarious! They obviously didn't understand how to serve it, so why have it on the menu for €8?
To sum up: €63 - 2 covers, 1 x bottle of house wine, 1 x soft drink, 2 x mains, 2 x desserts.
By complete contrast, the following night we dined at a cute little back-street restaurant in town, had fresh soup, fish, heaped plates of fresh salad followed by dessert and coffee, and spent a total of €15 and were completely stuffed.

Stayed: March 2008