“We'll definitely be going back....”

Pestana Palace Lisboa
Ranked #34 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned from 3 wonderful nights at this charming hotel. Its a real oasis of calm and tranquility. The house and grounds are really beautiful and the pool area and leisure facilities were spotlessly clean and well equipped. Without exception the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
If I were nitpicking the beds weren't that comfortable and the bathrooms, as other have mentioned, are functional rather than luxurious but those niggles were hugely outweighed for us by the delightful service and calm tranquil setting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Garden view - the tropical style gardens are a delight. They are very quiet ev...
There are newer reviews for Pestana Palace Lisboa

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel has a lot to live up to.. The clue's in the title. The palace portion of the hotel is impressive, even though the grandeur is faded and in need of restoration. It seems to lack adequate care and emotional and financial investment that would allow it to truly shine as the place that it clearly once was. The guest rooms are a more recent addition to the main building and these are not to the same standard of construction or design. When we were showed to our room the bathroom floor was flooded - the staff mopped it up and as it was late we went to sleep. The next morning we awoke to find the flooding had retuned - from the toilet. We changed rooms.

Nevertheless, with a very pleasant pool area and fitness centre the whole experience is better than the average 4* holiday chain - but only just. Breakfast is an uninspired buffet and when we were there the no of guests seemed to overwhelm the waiting staff - who although doing their best were clearly not supported adequately to cater for the hoards that descend on Lisbon in August.

The main issue I had with this hotel is rather personal - and to my mind unforgivable. Whilst we were guests at the hotel my (Portuguese) wife celebrated her birthday. We invited my mother-in-law and 93 year old grand mother to lunch at the hotel with us to celebrate. The hotel reception informed us that there was no policy of reserving a table (strange..) and that we should go along on the day. The day we went along there were 2 staff waiting in the restaurant (which only has 6-7 tables). It was not busy so we asked if we could be seated only to be told that there were no tables available for 3 hours! When I pointed out that half the tables were empty - the staff informed me they were booked. I pointed out that we were not allowed to book and the waiter looked uncomfortable... If it had not been for my Portuguese family who appeared and spoke to him in Portuguese we would without question have been turned away from an almost empty restaurant - despite my protestations.

The incident mired the lunch - it's never pleasant having to argue before eating in a restaurant. Later that afternoon, still annoyed by the misinformation and lack of willingness to understand the situation, I felt compelled to complain to the hotel duty manager. Although seemingly sympathetic, explaining that there was a private booking in the main hotel restaurant - his remedy was to offer a free drink!!! I was and still am hugely annoyed by the response and that a birthday meal was almost ruined, a 93 year old lady painfully walked through the hotel grounds for 20 minutes to be turned away from a near empty restaurant - and the manager thinks that a free drink will make everything fine.

If this is how the Pestana Palace feels it's guests should be treated then I would suggest there are much better 'palaces' where guests are treated in a manner more fitting of the name.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank McConnon
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Be careful. I visited the hotel in July. The ambience, reception and concierge services are certainly 5star. The bedrooms are average with very poor shower arrangements run off the bathroom taps with a cheap and inefficient plastic curtain leading to flooded bathroom floor. Quite frankly the service in the restaurant was dreadful. Given the isolated position, I think I have been generous with 4 stars but the gardens, pool and most staff are 5 star.

Room Tip: You need to go towards the top of the range
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I think this was one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in. Both the inside and outside was magnificent. Antonio at the reception was very welcoming and helpful with dinner reservations and directions. I would love to go back.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is very lovely.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in July 2014 as a couple… From the moment we pulled up in the taxi to when we departed it was 5* all the way. A beautiful hotel (we had a lovely room overlooking the gardens) which was spotlessly clean. Lovely gardens and 2 pools. The breakfast was great and we were able to sit outside. The staff bend over backwards for you. Very happy and would love to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theroyfamily
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Feel like royalty and get a true taste of old Lisbon in all its glory by staying at this exquisite hotel. Luxurious rooms and lush surroundings are truly glamorous, and the restaurant is a 5 star experience from start to finish. Despite the museum quality furnishings and well groomed gardens, the friendly and attentive staff and atmosphere somehow feel cozy and not stuffy. The Pestana gives everyone the opportunity to feel regal and is well worth the visit.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

After a great stay at this hotel in 2013 my daughter and I decided to come back again this year. We stayed for a week in July and again we had a great time!
Pestana Palace is such a nice place! It's an old palace with a beautiful garden and a nice pool where you can relax after or before visiting the city. The rooms are very clean and the breakfast is absolutely perfect!! We had breakfast outside on the nice terrace a few times, a lovely start of the day. The service of Carlos and the other staff at breakfast was excellent.
We enjoyed the hospitality of the whole staff but especially the warm welcome of Rui at the front door every day really gave a personal touch to our stay.
The hotel is not very close to the city center, but that is no problem. The shuttlebus of the hotel drives to the center a few times a day and also taxis are quickly available and not expensive at all.
Thank you all at the Pestana Palace for our lovely and relaxed stay!!!
We will definitively come back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family