“Simply the best...”

Ranked #34 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Malmo, Sweden
“Simply the best...”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

It does not get better than this. A fantastic hotel in a beautiful 19th century palace in a fantastic garden. An peaceful oasis in busy Lisbon. The rooms are beautiful with really nice beds. This hotel have the sweetest and most attentive staff I have ever encountered. This was my second stay here and I will definitely return over and over.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Oss, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 September 2014

After initially staying in another hotel in Lisbon, which we fled due to the noise, we walked into the lobby of this hotel (looking rather shabby) and asked if they still had accommodation. They receptionist where extremely friendly and give us a great rate for our room. What a relief it was to get to such a peaceful and quiet place after our initial hotel. The rooms are excellent and the food very good (although on the pricey side). Very good amenities in the hotel, and with taxi rates as cheap as they are in Lisbon, it's not a problem that the hotel is a bit further from city center.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with gorgeous and well kept gardens and grounds.

The old part of the hotel is stunning and breakfast and lunch is served in two large rooms which have the look of a large French chateau.

We had dinner here one evening and the service was excellent and compliments to the chef as the food was superb! Breakfast was varied with lots of choice and is available until around 11.30am at the weekend which is great if you fancy a lie in.

Our room was lovely, a huge and very comfortable bed and very clean.....over looking the gardens. No tea and coffee making facilities unfortunately but that's very common in Europe so no surprise! Room service is available however....

Thankfully everywhere is fully air conditioned. Our bathroom was well stocked with luxury toiletries and although the shower was not 5 star quality, it was perfectly adequate.

The only negative which cannot be helped is that the hotel is under the flight path so there is a bit of noise every now and then but it wouldn't put me off coming back and certainly didn't spoil our stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned from 3 wonderful nights at this charming hotel. Its a real oasis of calm and tranquility. The house and grounds are really beautiful and the pool area and leisure facilities were spotlessly clean and well equipped. Without exception the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
If I were nitpicking the beds weren't that comfortable and the bathrooms, as other have mentioned, are functional rather than luxurious but those niggles were hugely outweighed for us by the delightful service and calm tranquil setting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Garden view - the tropical style gardens are a delight. They are very quiet ev...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel has a lot to live up to.. The clue's in the title. The palace portion of the hotel is impressive, even though the grandeur is faded and in need of restoration. It seems to lack adequate care and emotional and financial investment that would allow it to truly shine as the place that it clearly once was. The guest rooms are a more recent addition to the main building and these are not to the same standard of construction or design. When we were showed to our room the bathroom floor was flooded - the staff mopped it up and as it was late we went to sleep. The next morning we awoke to find the flooding had retuned - from the toilet. We changed rooms.

Nevertheless, with a very pleasant pool area and fitness centre the whole experience is better than the average 4* holiday chain - but only just. Breakfast is an uninspired buffet and when we were there the no of guests seemed to overwhelm the waiting staff - who although doing their best were clearly not supported adequately to cater for the hoards that descend on Lisbon in August.

The main issue I had with this hotel is rather personal - and to my mind unforgivable. Whilst we were guests at the hotel my (Portuguese) wife celebrated her birthday. We invited my mother-in-law and 93 year old grand mother to lunch at the hotel with us to celebrate. The hotel reception informed us that there was no policy of reserving a table (strange..) and that we should go along on the day. The day we went along there were 2 staff waiting in the restaurant (which only has 6-7 tables). It was not busy so we asked if we could be seated only to be told that there were no tables available for 3 hours! When I pointed out that half the tables were empty - the staff informed me they were booked. I pointed out that we were not allowed to book and the waiter looked uncomfortable... If it had not been for my Portuguese family who appeared and spoke to him in Portuguese we would without question have been turned away from an almost empty restaurant - despite my protestations.

The incident mired the lunch - it's never pleasant having to argue before eating in a restaurant. Later that afternoon, still annoyed by the misinformation and lack of willingness to understand the situation, I felt compelled to complain to the hotel duty manager. Although seemingly sympathetic, explaining that there was a private booking in the main hotel restaurant - his remedy was to offer a free drink!!! I was and still am hugely annoyed by the response and that a birthday meal was almost ruined, a 93 year old lady painfully walked through the hotel grounds for 20 minutes to be turned away from a near empty restaurant - and the manager thinks that a free drink will make everything fine.

If this is how the Pestana Palace feels it's guests should be treated then I would suggest there are much better 'palaces' where guests are treated in a manner more fitting of the name.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank McConnon
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Be careful. I visited the hotel in July. The ambience, reception and concierge services are certainly 5star. The bedrooms are average with very poor shower arrangements run off the bathroom taps with a cheap and inefficient plastic curtain leading to flooded bathroom floor. Quite frankly the service in the restaurant was dreadful. Given the isolated position, I think I have been generous with 4 stars but the gardens, pool and most staff are 5 star.

Room Tip: You need to go towards the top of the range
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I think this was one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in. Both the inside and outside was magnificent. Antonio at the reception was very welcoming and helpful with dinner reservations and directions. I would love to go back.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is very lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple