“Memorable”

Pestana Palace Lisboa
Ranked #35 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I stayed at Pestana Place for 4 nights recently as I had to attend a conference there. Initially I wanted to stay in a hotel that is closer to Lisbon's attractions and travel to the Pestana Palace each day for the conference. Was I glad I didn't. The traffic in early morning would have made it difficult for me to get there on time. It was also more convenient to stay at the hotel itself as you could go to your room to refresh during the day or when you need to attend conference events there in the evening.
But the most compelling reason was the Pestana Palace itself. It was a beautiful and interesting hotel with impeccable and friendly service. Others have written about the physical aspects of the hotel so I will not say more on that except to confirm all the good things that have been written. My room was on the ground floor and it opened out into a little patio by the garden. The garden was surprisingly verdant given that it was still very cold. I could stand outside and admire the greenery and on one of the nights, the sky was so clear I could see numerous stars and a beautiful full moon.
The room was beautifully done. The bathroom was clean and elegant. My only complaint was that the room was too warm once I was under the covers.
It would have been good if there were coffee and tea making facilities. I needed coffee first thing in the morning and had to order room service for that even though breakfast was part of the room price. The coffee price was however very reasonable.
Front desk and concierge were friendly and helpful. My suitcase did not arrive from London and they called the airport a few times to get updates for me. When it eventually arrived very late in the day, the porter brought it up to my room immediately.
The hotel does not have any attractions nearby but taxis are very easy to get and the fare to Chiado and Amoreiras is very reasonable. The Vasco Da Gama Shopping Centre is much further away and cost 11 Euros each way.
Have already recommended Pestana Palace to my friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank makeupaddict

Reviewed 6 March 2010

Great staff, Beautiful and Unique Hotel (Palace), Superb Tropical Gardens, Wonderful Breakfast !
Very relaxing place, just outside Lisbon.
I recommend it to everyone!

- Jason

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank JasonCParis
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Was impressed with this hotel, the staff were excellent special mention to Marie Joes & Auza from the front desk, the rooms were spacious and well decorated. The Gardens were fabulous. The food was good especially as catering for lunch for 60 or more people.

Very impressive rooms around the hotel, like staying in a stately home here in UK. A must is go and see the chapel in hotel.

Good place for a couple.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank CJmonkeygirl
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Best choice ever!!!! You must try one of the four royal suites at the palace.
We spent a couple of night at D. Luis Filipe.
Simply the best.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FreeEnterprise
Reviewed 15 February 2010

I’ve just come back from a romantic valentine’s weekend in Lisbon. I booked Pestana Palace as a romantic surprise for my girlfriend and I have got to say it is one of the best hotels I have ever been. I called the hotel three days in advance and explained that I wanted the weekend to be romantic and whether they had any good suggestions. The lady at reception instantly upgraded my room from a double to king size with a room overlooking the garden. The room was fantastic, it had a massive balcony, they sprinkled rose’s petals on the bed and sent us a complementary bottle of champagne on our last day, which was Valentine’s Day (It was free because there was a mix up and they sent it on our last day rather than when we arrived – at EUR180 I wasn’t complaining).

Make no mistake, this is a real palace and it is extremely impressive. It is one of the grandest buildings I have stayed in. The dinning room where they serve breakfast is breathtaking. We were told by several locals that Pestana is the best hotel in Lisbon and that a number of celebrities, such as Madonna, Bon Jovi and Black Eye Peas have stayed there. Apparently the palace was built by a wealthy Viscount who made his fortune in the Cocoa business. They owned a lot of land that expanded beyond the compounds of the Palace, eventually selling the Palace after the Viscount died. Apparently the former bulter/estate manager who use to work for the Viscount still visits the Palace in his uniform to greet guests, despite being 98 years old. We didn’t actually see him, but I guess it might have been a little cold that weekend for him to venture out.

I was initially worried about the location being far out from the centre, but soon realised that it is quite close to a lot of tourist attractions. The buses and trams are easy to use and the taxis are cheap. The service at the hotel was amazing. They organised a car to pick us up from airport and then take us back. The concierge was great – they book us a romantic traditional Fado dinner (A must do). All in all I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eaglej
Reviewed 24 January 2010

The hotel is amazing! The service was also really good, and the restaurant as well. It was a very pleasant stay, and although it is not in the center of the city the hotel provides a service to take to the center, which makes things much easier.
I went alone and for a business meeting, but I would say it is a very romantic place. In summer, it should be great to take advantage of the beautiful gardens and swimming pool. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank SIsabel
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I've been visiting regularly the Pestana Palace in the last three years or so, for business travel. I like every aspect of it, the service is always excellent and all the hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. Since i'm travelling here in Lisbon on a weekly basis in certain periods of the year, I got to know it very well.
The Hotel itself is amazing, you just have to try and see. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business