“Beatiful hotel with a high standard”

Pestana Palace Lisboa Hotel & National Monument
Ranked #35 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
Moss, Norway
“Beatiful hotel with a high standard”
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Stayed for three days on a European sales conference. The hotel was once a palace and is still a beautiful and unique hotel. Excellent service, great food and very helpful and friendly staff. A must is going and see the chapel in hotel.

Will surely stay at this hotel next time I’m going back to Lisbon!

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank MrAtle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Rooms in new wings (most of the hotel accommodation) were small, poorly furnished and more in keeping with a 3-4 star hotel. And the beds were the most uncomfortable we've ever experienced! A move to a suite (again in a new wing) provided more space (at a price) but the same type of hard mattress. We got the usual response in these circumstances - 'no-one else has complained', but see previous guest comments. They did produce an additional mattress protector, but that didn't really make a great difference.

Tea/coffee making facilities were unavailable in the standard rooms, but there was a coffee making machine in the suite we moved to. As one of us can't drink coffee, we asked if we could make our own tea, which seemed to be regarded as an unusual (unwelcome?) request, but eventually we got a kettle and one tea bag but no milk. When we asked for milk, a jug of milk was sent - for which we discovered at check-out we'd been charged 5 euros! When we pointed out that it was usual to offer milk or lemon with tea, the response from the manager was that in Portugal no-one drank tea with milk. And this is a 5 star international hotel?! With prices to match. And the prices don't include complimentary in-room tea/coffee - again we only discovered at check-out we'd been charged a large amount for the privilege of making our own.

Lastly, the hotel gardens are lovely, but the hotel itself is far from convenient without your own transport. We enjoy exploring on foot or by public transport, but we spent too much time getting to & from the hotel to the areas we wanted to visit. Maybe if we'd just wanted to laze by the pool that wouldn't have been a problem, but in March that wasn't an option.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shirazLondon
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stay for 4 nights. We roons are cosy and the service is perfect. The Palace is beautiful, you fell like you are in a fairytale world, that at any time a princess would show up and share the sofa with you...The spa offer excellent services too. It is a memorable hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LRVolpi
London
Reviewed 23 April 2010

The hotel itself is very beautiful. The staff is nice and plesant but if you expect a five star sevice you are going to be disappointed. I am not a fussy person myself but these are sort of things that I was disapointed about:"We arrived with a young baby and there was not a cot in a room. I asked for a bulb to be replaced (as it went off) but it took them a whole day and I had to remind them to change it. I asked for a few small things I needed , but literarily had to nag about it. The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service 4 times per day every day . This service was simply not available for 2 days as one of the stuff was on holiday and other was off sick. The day we left it was early in the morning before breakfast time. Because we paid for it I asked if they can provide us with a packed breakfast but the answer we got is that we can have a cup of coffe and a biscuit instead."
I recently went to Iceland and stayed in Raddisson Saga hotel in Reykjavik that had much better service. In the past I have only stayed in 5 star hotels in Asia and South America and the service was always impecable. The standard of the service in this hotel is nowhere near.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank DanieleLondon
Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2010

welcoming staff, beautiful room with doors opening onto private balcony overlooking established garden with morning birdsong. Healthy breakfast options in natural light filled historic room. Well equipped gym. Excellent bed. Location suited us as it as very quiet and a short walk to all public transport.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PennyLane101
West Cork
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We stayed at Pestana Palacio in February for four nights and again for one night in March. We explored Lisbon with the help of the hotel shuttle bus and cheap taxis. We had wonderful bacalau in the bar. The desserts are to die for. The staff are amazing. Nothing is too much for them. They are friendly, informative and attentive. The hotel itself is superlative - restored and furnished so sensitively. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. Wait till you see the breakfast buffet. There is free internet access in the business centre. Brilliant stay. There is a beautiful chapel in the hotel for a special wedding.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank suewestcork
Singapore
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I stayed at Pestana Place for 4 nights recently as I had to attend a conference there. Initially I wanted to stay in a hotel that is closer to Lisbon's attractions and travel to the Pestana Palace each day for the conference. Was I glad I didn't. The traffic in early morning would have made it difficult for me to get there on time. It was also more convenient to stay at the hotel itself as you could go to your room to refresh during the day or when you need to attend conference events there in the evening.
But the most compelling reason was the Pestana Palace itself. It was a beautiful and interesting hotel with impeccable and friendly service. Others have written about the physical aspects of the hotel so I will not say more on that except to confirm all the good things that have been written. My room was on the ground floor and it opened out into a little patio by the garden. The garden was surprisingly verdant given that it was still very cold. I could stand outside and admire the greenery and on one of the nights, the sky was so clear I could see numerous stars and a beautiful full moon.
The room was beautifully done. The bathroom was clean and elegant. My only complaint was that the room was too warm once I was under the covers.
It would have been good if there were coffee and tea making facilities. I needed coffee first thing in the morning and had to order room service for that even though breakfast was part of the room price. The coffee price was however very reasonable.
Front desk and concierge were friendly and helpful. My suitcase did not arrive from London and they called the airport a few times to get updates for me. When it eventually arrived very late in the day, the porter brought it up to my room immediately.
The hotel does not have any attractions nearby but taxis are very easy to get and the fare to Chiado and Amoreiras is very reasonable. The Vasco Da Gama Shopping Centre is much further away and cost 11 Euros each way.
Have already recommended Pestana Palace to my friends.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business