“The Pestana Palace Hotel is the place of dreams............”

Pestana Palace Lisboa Hotel & National Monument
Ranked #35 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
Europe
“The Pestana Palace Hotel is the place of dreams............”
Reviewed 14 August 2010

You want a hotel that makes a lasting impression? You want a hotel that gives something beyond what a normal five star hotel gives you? You like to be treated as an individual not just another visiting tourist? Then the Pestana Palace Hotel gives you all that. And more!
The Pestana Palace is my first option when going to Lisbon, and luckily for me I have nearly always been able to stay there.
It is a place (and a national monument as well), and being there, surrounded by its beautiful gardens gives one a sense of well-being that is difficult to surpass.
You get such personal attention from the staff and are looked after so excellently, that you feel an intimacy that is seldom found in large, five star hotels.
The staff couldn't be nicer and they anticipate your every need. And should you require that extra special information or have some other 'difficult' request, be rest assured that the staff at the Pestana Palace will do all in their power to supply you with all you need or ask for.
Breakfast time is a dream come true. It is both serene and relaxing. You are looked after superbly and the buffet is extraordinary! Especially the 'hot choice', consisting of the most delicious delicacies, different every day (my favourites)!!!.
The walks in the gardens re-charges your soul.
The pool is an oasis in the midst of a busy city.
Dining in the beautiful restaurant is a trip to the past yet the food is full of modern and experimental treats of the highest standards.
The bar is the perfect place to wind down after having explored Lisbon. Such a beautiful city!
And when it is time to retire, you sink into those heavenly pillows and fall asleep feeling relaxed and totally content.
Don't miss staying at the Pestana Palace when visiting Lisbon. In fact: don't miss visiting Lisbon, for the combined experience of Lisbon and the Pestana Palace Hotel will give you an experience that you will want to repeat again and again.
Which is what I do whenever possible.

3 Thank ubi_rhodes-malin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2010

After staying at the sister location, the Pestana Promenade in Madeira, we decided to book a few days at this location in Lisbon. We had such a delightful stay at the Madeira property and were intrigued at the idea of staying in a castle. The Castle itself was exactly as advertised, beautifully adorned with some parlors that was reminiscent of royalty. The buffet breakfast was exceptional as there were a multitude of items to choose from. The property is very well maintained with lots of areas to sit and enjoy the scenery. The only qualms I have with our stay there is that since I am North American, we have ice machines available in most of all our hotels. Perhaps it is because they cater more to the European clientele so some of the things we are used to, were unavailable( Ice, Iron and Ironing board). When I requested some ice from the bartender to take to my room I was told I had to order it and there would be a Three Euro charge. When we had brought a meal to enjoy in our rooms we were told that plates, and cutlery were subject to a three Euro charge although I went there to pick it up myself. I consider myself a frequent traveller and I was appalled by the extra charges. One of the rooms we booked was listed as a “Garden View” room. When you open the windows all you can see is a tree obstructing your view of any garden. Since the room charges were based on certain types of views and location, I think they ought to stop charging extra for a garden view room. The rooms themselves were clean and well kept, but they weren’t as nice as you would have expected coming from another one of their properties and because they are listed as a five star world class location. Because I have worked in hospitality, I understand where the extra charges would need to be levied . I just felt that charges need to be placed on more relevant items. Due to our trip plans changing as we decided to stay at another location longer, we had to cancel the rest of our reservations. This is not to say we weren’t considering a change already. All I can say is: it’s very beautiful there; some of the rooms were just ok; and beware of the extra charges. I think it would be unlikely we would return to that location. I also found the Front desk staff to be a bit curt.

2 Thank Paul_H24
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I went to the Pestana Palace when looking into holding our European Conference in 2011 in Lisbon. The Pestana was one of several options for the event, so it was fortunate that it was the one I chose to stay at whilst assessing all the options. Additionally, it was my 30th wedding anniversary whilst I planned to be there, so I took my wife so that we could have that day off together. She was there to check out the potential Companion Programme as well.

In short, it looks like a Palace, with amazing Luis XV & XVI rooms, it feels like a palace, and one is treated like royalty regardless of where one is staying. (You do have the option of staying in the Royal Suites if you want as well, but I didn’t).

The staff was great, nothing was too much trouble, they were always friendly and always very attentive without being remotely intrusive.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Graemergordon
dublin
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This hotel is a very special residence. As soon as you arrive you can feel that it is steeped in history but also smartly kept and well maintained for modern travelers.
The dining experience is second to none. Dinner is Michelin star quality. We remember with some humour if we would like to retire to the bar with our vintage port! The three chocolate dessert is also a stand out memory.
The artwork throughout the hotel is very impressive.
The pool and spa are also worth mentioning as this adds another element to your stay.
I'd recommend this as a great place to stay for a special weekend in Lisbon such as an engagement, special birthday or anniversary.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thegodmother
Orange, CT USA
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Palace last month and found nothing wanting at this stunning property. Excellent service, immaculate standards met or exceeded by the staff at all levels. Despite its somewhat out-of-center location, we did not find it inconvenient to most major attractions in Lisbon. We had high hopes for this Pestana owned property, as we had just finished a family wedding stay in Faial, Azores at the Pousada de Santa Cruz, managed through the Pestana Group. This company seems to get it right...we are looking forward to trying their newest hotel in London. Our room faced the manicured botantical garden from the second level. A welcome bowl of fruit, though past its prime, was sent to the room with a nice note from the Manager. Front desk staff was professional, easily handled an optional private car tour, and will change currency with no commission at a reasonable rate. Taxis are always on the doorstep or a brief call away. We dined one night in the beautiful hotel restaurant, also the site of the delicious included breakfast. The bar and lounge was very attractive and comfortable, with the tuxedo-clad pianist adding a nice touch. On a value basis it would be hard to top this hotel.

2 Thank CBCarveth
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2010

The Pestana Palace is a sanctuary in a somewhat uninspiring city in which some parts are riddled with poverty - although the countryside is a different story.

It is a bit of a way from city, which for us it is a good thing and cabs are cheap in Lisbon anyway. The Upon check in, one of the receptionists showed us the facilities of the hotel - dining, garden, pool, etc, before escorting us to our room. Lovely gesture. The rooms are a bit smallish but adequate and we have a veranda facing the beautiful garden. They also offer free access to the internet in their business centre.

We also dine a their magnificent Valle Flor restaurant which exudes elegance. Food was absolutely lovely and was worth the price.

Overall, my stay in Lisbon was well worth it - thanks to Pestana.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vinzeph
Paris, France
Reviewed 26 July 2010

The 19th century palace building itself is elegant and beautiful and, even though the bedrooms are in modern wings on either side, they have done a great job of extending the palatial old-world feel. Great artwork and antique furniture make you forget you are in a modern wing.
The grounds are peaceful and cool and great for lounging in a comfy chair in the late afternoon. The free wifi everywhere was a fantastic bonus that all hotels should provide.
The fitness center is definitely inadequate and, while the pool is beautiful and blissfully cool, there is a real shortage of sunloungers. And, also in the list of things to improve, bizarrely they charge 3 euro for a bucket of ice in the room - not a great way to stimulate minibar consumption.
The live piano in the bar is a nice touch and the staff in general are genuinely warm and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple