“Not what I expected”

Ranked #19 of 246 Hotels in Lisbon
New York City
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 26 September 2008

The hotel is very grand and nicely done but the architecture of the building is nothing too exciting. I chose this hotel because I thought it would be the perfect location with easy access to the nightlife but it was far from it. Of course you take a cab no matter where you are staying but this hotel was particulary far compared to the one our friends stayed at. They stayed at Sofitel. I also thought the rooms would have great views of the city but ours did not. I believe this is a good hotel for business travelers, and for large family events but not for young couples looking to get a feel of the city. I would suggest where our friends stayed or other nearby hotels.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NSL76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Super posh hotel, beautiful innards, very nice staff. Beautiful spa on ground floor and gym on top floor with great view.

--Awkward check-in. Front desk clerk kept me waiting 1.5 hours when he promised he would come to find me in hotel restaurant within 30 minutes when my room was ready. Not a busy period. Turned out that, swiping my card once and not getting instant confirmation of charges, the hotel clerk swiped again and my company froze both charges b/c they thought it was fraudulent
activity. He didn't handle the situation smoothly, said it was a problem with my card rather than something more elegant, like, "We are having trouble getting confirmation with your card." I spent about 10 stressful minutes on the phone w/American customer service straightening out the situation...the computers at Four Seasons apparently didn't recognize the confirmation my credit card company had sent. At $400+ a night, this is
questionable.

--Rushed breakfast service. Restaurant only half full, mid-service, and towards the end of my meal, waiters on several days put down checks on table while I was clearly not close to finishing. Extremely rude, especially in such a pricey and supposedly classy joint! Otherwise, though, they really went to a lot of trouble to make it a nice experience.

-A few minor details
..an inexpensive piece of electronic equipment went missing somewhere in the hotel, but could've been taken/discarded by anybody, including a hotel guest
..free wireless available in lobby; this is not disclosed to guests
..if you contact the Four Seasons central command in the States to request early check-in, they will write you back in words to suggest that early check-in is impossible in any situation
..if you don't request an airport transfer in your original reservation, and email as a followup to request one, you must wait for an email from central command and reply to this email to confirm your reservation. If you're going at the last minute, you should call the hotel directly to request. The car reservation business could be streamlined to avoid inconvenience.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank GhostJimThompson
miami
Reviewed 20 May 2008

This hotel is excellent. We stayed only for one night in a room overlooking the city. The room itself was big in size, much bigger that European standards, with a bathroom that was bigger than many hotel rooms. The hotel staff that we came in contact was terrific and very helpful. The only drawback is the hotel location, for tourist is about 20 blocks from were you want to be, probably for someone on business is in the right place. The bottom line is that if we go back to Lisbon, we would consider staying here again.

• Liked — hte room
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bighead33
Recife
Reviewed 16 April 2008

Great hotel ith everything one can expect from the names Ritz and Four Seasons. Also a great restaurant, although sometimes it is difficult to book it even for guests.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank cenoronha
London, England
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We stayed at the Ritz for four nights over Easter. We had a deluxe room on the tenth floor with a view of the park. The room was pleasant, if a bit gold and baroque, and while it was fully flat-screened and DVD'd, I suspect it is due a refurb shortly judging from the state of the carpet and the dated black marbleness of the (excellent) bathroom. The room was huge by European standards, with a balcony overlooking a park and a view of the river if you stick your head out and turn to the right (there appear to be no direct river views). The park view is not that great, don't pay extra for it.

Overall, we had a positive experience during our stay, especially with the exceptional service from the concierge and check-in staff, but a few hiccups and the location would put me off staying there again.

Though the hotel was not full, on two of the three mornings we went to the restaurant for breakfast (which was included in our rate) we had a significant wait for a table. It wasn't possible to book a table ahead of time, so if we wanted to eat what we'd already paid for, we were forced to just sit in the lobby with LOTS of other parties waiting for others to finish. One day this took nearly 45 minutes. The food itself was good, and the waitstaff were very good.

Our other morning, we ordered room service breakfast, which we'd been told on check-in was a valid way to get our included meal. Breakfast did not arrive until more than 30 minutes after Room Service had said it would arrive, and we were not only charged for it on my bill, but were over-charged for what we had ordered.

The hotel management picked up on the lateness of the delivery without my having to complain (which was great) and we were greeted with a note and half-bottle of port when we got back to the room later that day. I pointed out the charge upon check-out and it was removed from the bill, but it's the kind of problem that shouldn't happen at this kind of property.

The hotel is a good 30-minute walk (up a significant hill) from the centre of town. Taxis are incredibly cheap in Lisbon, so generally we walked to town and took a taxi back, but it would have been nice to be closer to the action.

The hotel is an ugly Soviet-style concrete block on the outside, but the public areas inside are beautiful, with exceptional art. The new pool and spa area in the basement is very nice, and the fitness area on the top floor is extraordinary.

If I go back to Lisbon, I would choose instead to stay at one of the high-end properties closer to Rossio or in Lapa rather than at the top of the hill, but that is mainly due to wanting to be able to stumble home from restaurants late at night, rather than any fault of the Ritz!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank kathycastro
London
Reviewed 24 March 2008

The building may be considered brutalist but time and age has given it a patina of imposing dominance over the surrounding area.

It is simply stunning inside with majestic spaces that open onto an endless succession of vistas, built when maximising return on each square foot was not the objective. The triumphal art, particularly the tapestries are of museum quality.

I stayed in a magnificent Junior Suite of immense proportions and supreme comfort with crisp linens and a cornucopia of pillows. Bathroom was of tennis court proportions with the added benefit of daylight.

Room service breakfast arrived to the minute, beautifully presented and all at the correct temperature.

A crumpled suit was returned pressed to perfection in under 30 minutes, wish the suit's owner could have been similarly renewed in the spa but was a bit pressed for time.

Concierge and business centre all excellent.

With large balconies overlooking the Eduardo VII Park and the sea in the distance, the setting really cannot be beaten.

• Liked — Space and attention to detail
  • Disliked — All met by expectations
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank nowvoyager1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2008

Where do i start, i really wanted to treat my grandparents and mother in law to something special for New Year and figured i wouldnt go far wrong with the Four Seasons. So i spent a small fortune on what i hoped would be a memorable New Year. However it did not get off to a good start when it took a multitude of phone calls from both myself and my staff just to book the rooms, eventually we recieved confirmation (after a lot of chasing) that we had booked 3 deluxe rooms. We then booked the hotel transfer as we were told it would make life easier on arrival and that a standard taxi would cost 25 Euro, so 35 as we were origionally quoted didnt seem astronomical. However as there were five of us we were then told that we would need a mini bus at the cost of 70 Euro, i agreed as i knew it would be late and as my grandparents are old i didnt want them hanging around in the cold. Sadly they still ended up hanging around in the cold as the driver met us in the airport then left us for ten minutes outside the airport whilst he got the car. In the car there was no bottles of water as one usually recieves on a Four Season transfer, just a bog standard people carrier - i want impressed. I was even less impressed when on the return journey we took two standard taxis at a total cost of 20 Euro for the two including a generous tip. Lesson learnt - their transfers were a total rip off. When we arrived in our room both my husband and myself were both disappointed - the rooms did not live up to the usual four seasons standard, the bathroom was dated, along with the furniture and the poor layout of the room meant that it was difficult to watch the tv in bed. To top it off there were none of the usual four seasons toucehes, bathroom amenities were sparse and basic, there was no free water and no DVD player (well what else do you do with elderly grandparents, who dont want to eat after seven o'clock and just want to have a nap constantly!). Having looked at my mother in law's room however, we realised that we were better off as hers had not been decorated since the mid 70's at a guess. It wasnt until the last day that i realised that my grandparents had just been given a superior room, when they paid a trip to my mother in laws and got upset that she had a sofa and seating area unlike them, however the hotel still proceeded to charge us for a deluxe room and as i didnt want to make a fuss in front of them i let it go with the intention of taking it up upon my return. To top it off the hotel is located out of the centre of town (a good thirty minutes walk to the centre, over an hour with aged grand parents!)on the top of a hill with little to no restaurants nearby, which (as a new comer to Lisbon) i didnt realise when booking. In short,from the dated rooms, worn furniture, poor layout, pretty useless reservation staff, being overcharged on a room catagory we didnt recieve and being utterly ripped off on the transfer this was not the most successful trip. I always say you cant go wrong with a Four Seasons and its worth paying to be assured a pleasant stay. But this hotel really didnt meet any of my expectations fgor a Four Seasons. I am very sure that there are better hotels out there, probably at half the price!

• Liked — The hairdryer in the room was superb, superfast and ionic, if only the rest of the room was that good!
  • Disliked — Worn furniture and poor room layout.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family