“Oh Wow!”

Ranked #64 of 251 Hotels in Lisbon
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Oh Wow!”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Of all the Sheraton’s I have had the pleasure to stay at, and believe me staying at a Sheraton is always a pleasure, the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa is my absolute favourite.

I have arrived at the hotel 3 hours too early to check in, however the gracious front desk staff has called a porter who whisked away my luggage to be kept in a secure room so I can explore the neighbourhood on foot unburdened.

After about two hours of wandering the streets of Lisbon I’m feeling a bit tired. I wonder if they’ll let me check into the hotel yet. I might as well go back and see. You never know unless you ask. The courteous lady at the front is more than helpful. “Your room is ready and it isn’t a problem that you’re early. I will call the porter.”

The porter is at my side within minutes.
“I will show you to your room Madam…”

We exit the elevator on the 15th floor and begin walking down a plush luxurious corridor. The doors to the guestrooms are covered in chocolate brown quilted leather like material and the small pot lights that run the length of the hall give off a warm and welcoming glow– the atmosphere is remarkable. The use of lighting and texture in the design of the corridor whispers opulent tranquillity which is so nice after spending two weeks in Portuguese hotels that screamed cheap and cheerful. If the hallways are this nice, I can’t wait to see my deluxe guestroom.

The porter takes my key from me and opens the door allowing me to enter first. I am not disappointed. Well I am…I am disappointed that James Bond isn’t sitting in one of the brown leather club chairs with a glass of champagne in his hand (The Sean Connery James Bond).
“Welcome home darling…here’s your champers…it’s chilled…just the way you like it.”
“Oh thank you James…be a darling and tip the porter for me will you?”

“This is where you can hang your clothes…and this is where I’ll put your luggage for now…would you like me to unpack for you?” The porter has completely brought me back to reality.
“Ummmm. noooo thank you…”
Yikes! I’ve been in Portugal for two weeks without any laundry facilities…I’ve just had a flash of an open suitcase and an unconscious porter on the floor of my guestroom. That would totally ruin the ambiance!

The porter puts my luggage in the specifically designed luggage area (no throwing the old bags on the bed in this place) and begins to show me how to turn on the different lights, the television and lower and raise the automatic blinds. The blinds are not only on the large window but also surrounded the enormous glassed in bathroom.

I give the porter his tip and thank him.
“If you need anything at all please do not hesitate to call. We are at your service.”

Alone at last. Now I can stop behaving like an elegant 44 year old lady and allow my inner child to come out full force. I launch myself onto the bed and land on a cloud…I grab the pillows and do the pillow test. You scrunch them up, hug them, put them under your head…oh yes…a down pillow…I love down pillows! They never have those big turkey feathers in them that come out at night and poke you in the head! Just nice soft squishy goose down…these will do just fine!

I’m lying on the bed looking around. The earth tone coloured room is very soothing. I reach over and start clicking light switches…the different light settings are very futuristic, very modern and has a wonderful effect combined with the old world charm of brown leather furniture and dark plush carpeting. Oh and I must say, that I am a smoker (yes social pariah) and although I am in a smoking room it certainly doesn’t reek like one. There is a faint smell of cigarettes in the room, but only very faint. Good…just because I’m addicted to smoking cigarettes doesn’t mean I’m addicted to smelling like an ashtray. I believe this is the “smoking floor”…so no worries for non-smokers – you won’t have to put up with second hand smoke here.

I have to check out that bathroom. As with all Sheraton Hotels I’ve stayed at the bathroom amenities are top of the line…I won’t even use my own salon shampoo while I’m here because the shampoo they provide is just as good if not better. Everything is impeccably clean and sparkling. The oversized bath tub has an oversized “rain shower head”. Oh goody…I love those. Instead of water being shot down at you on an angle and pelting you like water bullets the water comes directly down upon you…just like you were experiencing rainfall. I’ve taken showers in guestrooms where I was certain all the hair had been blasted off my head due to the force of the water, I’ve also had showers with such horrible water pressure that I thought I was going to have to rinse the conditioner out in the toilet bowl…the water pressure here…perfect.

Actually everything is perfect, and my plane doesn’t leave for two nights, two blissful nights of absolute comfort and indulgence. I’m not leaving this room for anything. Now to make the experience more complete…time to watch movies and order room service.

I’ve ordered a bacon cheeseburger…I know I know…but I’ve been eating Portuguese food for two weeks…I just want a bacon cheeseburger ok? Oh and wine…I have wine that I bought around the corner at Pingo Doce (Portuguese version of Valu-Mart)…and no cork screw…great.

“Hi, this is Marie in room115 is there any possible way that I could have a cork screw sent…yes…oh thank you…yes please…thank you!”

Not only are they sending up a cork screw they’re sending up a wine glass with my room service order. Now, if I weren’t alone here I’d probably take advantage of all of the amenities that are available. My room is located on a “preferred floor” and according to the Sheraton website, “The Sheraton Club guest rooms offer upgraded amenities, free bottled water, and complimentary fitness center access. Club guests also have special access to the Club Lounge. A relaxing, upscale space, the Club Lounge offers complimentary breakfast, afternoon hors d’oeuvres and a variety of beverage options.”

Well, I’m on my own and I don’t feel like mingling so I’ll settle for a relaxing, upscale room with room service and movies!! Quite happily I must add.

My supper has arrived and I am now devouring my hamburger with table manners that would embarrass a trucker while watching the new Shrek movie. (I know, nothing but class.) The meal is hot, delicious and cost less than eating in a 3 star Canadian restaurant! I want to live here – forever – in my own little chocolate cocoon...with nice people who bring me delicious food under shiny dome lids.

Supper is finished and I’ve just realized, that I have nothing clean to wear on the plane on the day after tomorrow! Pause Shrek! Jump up, open suitcase, find flying dress. I have a flying dress…it’s a comfortable stretch cotton Ralph Lauren dress, it’s the equivalent of being able to wear your most comfy nightgown on long flights…I love it…and it is dirty.

“Hello, it’s Marie in room 115…I have a dress that needs to be laundered…thank you.”
That was easy! Everything is easy at the Sheraton in Lisbon. These are going to be a great couple of nights!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank MGutscher
Antoper, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Guest!
Oh Wow!
In fact this is the very first time we have such a detailed description/ comment from an experience lived by a guest in our property.
We sincerely hope that the stay, which was just starting, was worthed and "easy" and that you had the chance to fully enjoy what our property has to offer.
We do look forward to welcome you soon!
Best regards
António Pereira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I love Portugal - the food - best lobster I have ever eaten; the deserts - pasteis are the yummiest pies I have tested; port wine; fado music; I also love the Brazilian influence. So, to find a hotel that provides service and comfort on top of all fun of Lisbon, is a real bonus. The Sheraton does that (this is a backdated review my stay there in March 2010). Our room was a good size and lit by LED lighting, with a very comfortable king-sized bed, a well designed bathroom with speakers and electric curtains. The hotel is also near a metro station to get into the centre of the city, easily done. Breakfast however was not included but we found some places nearby anyway. The spa was well designed and well equipped. Wifi in the room was not free (annoying and unacceptable these days) but free internet on hotel computers in the reception. Having said that, the comfort of the room, and the service of the staff made this a good choice to stay. I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joel019
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments.We are delighted to read that you have fully enjoyed Lisbon, the food, the people, the port wine, the "pasteis de nata" and the fado music.
It is very pleasant for us to realize that our guests do enjoy their experience at our property and as well in the city. We are very pleased to learn that you have had an excelent experience at our Hotel and we do look forward to be welcoming you in a near future.
Antonio Pereira
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The Sheraton was refurbished a few years ago and the rooms are modern, comfortable and well equipped. Service is excellent and the club lounge is very pleasant with very friendly staff. Location is relatively central. Food is good. A solid choice especially if you are in town for business.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sergio P
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen our Hotel for your last stay in Lisbon.
We do appreciate your kind comments about our rooms, location, food and Club Lounge.

We do look forward to be welcoming you very soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Second stay in Sheraton Lisbon and continue to be pleased with the hotel.
1. Centrally located
2. Very well-equipped and big gym
3. Fantastic roof top bar/lounge with a panoramic view of Lisbon
4. Excellent breakfast spread (bring along an appetite)
5. Reliable internet connection.

No complains and will be back again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Yvonne E
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I pulled a one-nighter recently and I was at awe as soon as I got inside the room... I hadn't been in this hotel since way before the major renovation, and if it was already a great choice then, it's a no-brainer now.

From the service at the front desk to the service in the bar; from the wonderful modern deco in the rooms, it's a great hotel!

The rates are acceptable I guess...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Marcos C
SHERATONLISBOAHOTEL, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Dear Guest,
It is indeed very rewarding to receive Customers like yourself, who take the time to convey their thanks to us. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal service. In fact it's been exactly 5 years since we have totally refurbished. I am glad that you did enjoy our new decoration, rooms and of course our service.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa in a not too distant future.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I was on business and the hotel staff were without fault

I love the champagne and little portuguese tarts in te foyer on arrival

I was comfortable but it is not in the best location in Lisbon.

Eat in their top floor restaurant and the food was good, especially as it was a large group.

But I resent paying 7€ for beer, and 24€ for a gin and tonic, especially in a country which really needs tourism.

But really you cannot fault them.

Room Tip: Go high and pay for the superior rooms and get the club rates
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
SHERATONLISBOAHOTEL, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Sheraton Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Lisboa and for taking the time to post your comments.
We do appreciate your constructive feedback on our standards and service and believe that we are going to share among all the team.
Only having our guests honest feedback we are able to improve our service delivery.
I also wish you a fantastic 2012!
Thank you so much!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I have stay at the Sheraton in Lisbon when there on business and the hotel has everything you expect from a the SHeraton hotel range. The door staff always welcome you with a warm smile and hello, however the reception staff can be a bit hit and miss.... some a happy to greet you while others just seem distant !

The hotel has two main restaurants , however I have only ever eaten in the restraint in the lobby. The food prices are reasonable and well prepared and taste great.

There is a gym and SPA onsite, however guest have to pay 12 euros a day to vista the SPA, i.e swimming pool, steam/ sauna. The gym however is free for all guests. I like to see them open up the dimming pool etc to guests included in the price, but I guess you can't have everything.

The rooms are typical Sheraton, dark, big and very modem.... basically a great hotel room.

There is wireless internet but its 4 euros for 1 hour, and 12 for 8 hours. Again why can't they included this in a business price!!1

All in all a great hotel, though it been even better if they could sort out business rates with the additions included.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your honest feedback.
We do appreciate your constructive comments related to the Internet and Spa access fees and believe that we are going to share them among the team.
We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed our Lobby restaurant, our rooms and our Sheraton Fitness by Core Performance.
Also thank you for the feedback concerning our Front Office associates, although believe that they are always more than happy to welcome and assist our guests in whatever is necessary.
Looking forward to be welcoming you soon to the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa.