“Pay to use the (freezing cold) pool!!!! Breakfast good, an airline crew hotel, not for kids!”

Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #62 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Being a 2 night stop over before heading to the holiday proper in Cascais we wanted something central(ish) but with a pool for me and the kids whilst the Mrs went sightseeing.

First shock was the fact that you actually have to pay to use the pool €12 for an adult and €6.50 for kids! I mean, never even heard of such a scam! Main issue was that although stating an outside temp of 28' and pool temp of 24' was no where near it. Daughter lasted 5 mins and had to take my 4 yr old son out after 10 when his teeth wouldn't stop chattering.

Give the hotel credit, and the staff were excellent, the reversed the charges, after I'd stated I would refuse to accept the bill.

Generally an ok hotel, one I could see using for business but a family hotel, no!

As to the rooms pillows very flat, no slippers or gowns in the bathroom and make sure you get a seaview room as the other way is nothing!

• Stayed July 2013
ACPereira, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your comments, regarding your recent stay with us. We are sorry to learn that the pool failed to meet your expectations. Fortunately all other aspects of your stay have been according to your needs and expectations and we are happy to hear that. Thanking you for having stayed with us, we wish you and your family an enjoyable holiday season! Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Very good for business purposes or maybe for a family holiday base, well located in central Lisbon and only 20 minutes by taxi from the airport. Smart and clean throughout with usefully equipped meeting rooms. Photographs in the website are reliable guides. Gourmet restaurant on top floor with great views of the city, plus very acceptable restaurant on ground floor. A good place to begin a study of Portuguese wines!

Same location for breakfast. For me this is a meal of high importance and although there is a good range of fruits, juices, cereals, pastries, Continental and cooked choices, the cooked are predictable (beans, mushrooms, sausage, bacon, hash browns, scrambled eggs by the slightly dried up bucketful). For that reason I would have marked the hotel down a bit BUT its healthy option breakfast menu included egg white omelette with mushrooms. Add some smoked salmon, as I did, and you have in my opinion a wonderful breakfast.

Unusually the hotel appears to have one entire floor of bedrooms (15th) where smoking is permitted. My travelling companion, an unreformed smoker, was thrilled. Fortunately it did not impinge on any other floor.

No chance to try the spa but it looked attractive. A nice detail was a complimentary 20cl bottle of Tawny Port in each bedroom. Last but far from least, check in and out were straightforward with staff who were well trained, courteous and very helpful. A good stay.

Room Tip: It seemed to be a very quiet hotel throughout. On the 15th floor smokers have the unusual luxury of...
Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank StephenHowarth
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for the wonderful comments you have posted, following your recent stay with us. It is indeed fantastic to read your comments as they are both detailed and informative as well as highly flattering. Thank you! We sincerely look forward to hosting you again soon. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager.
North Olmsted
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I visited Lisbon in September 2012 and enjoyed staying at this hotel. The decor is very interesting - I would call it modern but retro at the same time. The lobby has a warm, inviting feel. The corridors leading to the rooms had very interesting mood lighting - kind of a blue glow, and all the doors to the rooms looked like leather panels - almost as if you were walking into a large steamer trunk. I think it was pretty cool. The room itself was decorated in chocolate brown and blue. I found it to be comfortable and very relaxing after a long day of sightseeing.

I see that another reviewer didn't like the gym. In my opinion, it's one of the nicest hotel gyms I have ever used, and I do a lot of traveling. The gym is not huge, but it is a reasonable size with some nice equipment, was very clean, and the wood floors gave it an elegant spa feel.

As an additional note, the bar on the top floor is very nice with a beautiful view of the city at night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for havig chosen our hotel for your stay in Lisbon. Thank you also for the really nice comments you have posted about the hotel and your stay. Really appreciated! Should your travelling plans bring you back to LIsbon, w e would be pleased to welcome you back. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General manager
West Kingston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The hotel itself is nice, although I found the decorations getting a little tired, but still were holding their own for now. I felt the same thing about the rooms, good but not great. I was on a higher floor, and my room did have a nice view. I guess my problem was with the extras. I'm a platinum with Marriott, and only a gold with Sheraton, so maybe my view is a little skewed. I find it ridiculous, like some of the other reviewers said, that you have to pay €12.50 to sit by the pool. Why is there any extra charge to sit by a pool, include it in the rate. They say it's part of using the spa, but when is the pool part of a spa, just Sheraton being greedy, which they do at other hotels of theirs I've stayed at. It's kind of like the ridiculous resort fee they charge at some places. Second, and I guess most of the hotels do this, is the €26 they charge for breakfast. I don't think I've ever eaten €26 worth of food for breakfast, so they probably made about €20 off me for this. You'd be better off going across the street and getting it, and if I had stayed more than one night I probably would have.

I'll go into the positives. The cabs to get around town from the hotel are reasonable, the staff at the hotel was friendly and seemed eager to please, and the pool area was nice once I got in there. I found the gym above average compared to other hotels I've stayed at, and the beds weren't too bad. Also, go to the top floor, there is a fantastic place to get drinks with a great view.

Again, not a bad hotel, but please include stuff in the rate, because otherwise it seems greedy and takes away from an otherwise alright stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for having stayed with us during your recent visit to Lisbon. The comments you have posted with your detailed views on the hotel and on your stay in general have been duly analysed and discussed with the Executive Team who thank you for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to hosting you again sometime in the future. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
London
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Its looks nothing from the outside but inside is luxurious and spacious. The rooms are large with modern bathrooms and comfortable beds. It's was very busy all the time. Lots of the airline crew seem to stay here, plus business people and leisure visitors so reception was always busy and the lobby bar was too. A great top floor bar with a view. The surrounding area doesn't have a lot going for it but a 20 minute walk gets you into the old town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne A
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for having selected our hotel for your recent stay in Lisbon. The comments you have posted regarding your stay and the hotel in general have been duly appreciated. Thank you! Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Down as a 5* and compared to the 4* hotels we also stayed at on this holiday , you did get that bit extra. - you pay for it though.

Taxi cost 12 eur from airport, but has a metro right out side (100m away) . For me Lisbon looks much better on foot, and if not too hot it was about a 2 mile walk down to the river.

I disagree with the comment posted immediately before this one,: - Hotel decor was different, but modern and nice, as were the rooms on 17th floor which we also stayed in. My wife has more taste than me and she was impressed. The gym was large and split into 3 areas, but good, i don't skip so maybe the ceilings were a bit low for skipping.

Re comment about charging per person, that is not what we found, we took 2 rooms each with 2 staying and we were not charged on a per head basis

The 12.5 Eur per person charge isnt a secret - for pool and spa , not the gym, but the changing facilities and spa was excellent. It includes a robe!

The pool was in shade due to an adjacent building until noon, but from noon on it was melting. A few plants in pool area would have taken away the concrete impression of the pool.

The top floor is definitely a place to visit and have either a meal , or just some drinks whether a cup of tea or something stronger. View is superb.

staff all excellent

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
ACPereira, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for the really nice and positive comments you have posted following your visit to our hotel. We are delighted to hear that both you and your wife have enjoyed your stay, as well as the hotel facilities, services and decor. Your comment about the pool area have been duly noted and will certainly be analyzed and discussed with the Executive Team. Again, thank you so much for your constructive comments. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager
Jordan
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife and I selected the Sheraton in Lisbon to avoid all the unpleasant surprises that are typically associated with unknown boutique /local chain hotels. However, the hotel had a few surprises for us nevertheless (which I don't know if they were derived from Portugal's deteriorating economy or other reasons - which I'll mention below).
First, I would like to reassure that the hotel is what you would except from a 5 star hotel (no complains there). Staff was friendly and concierge was also most appreciated in providing directions across the city.
As for other aspects:
- We stayed on the 17th floor. The hotel corridors were dark, gloomy, and looked like the interior of a villain spaceship.. creepy to say the least
- We were not impressed by the lack of "proper" closets. Those were replaced by curtains. Saving on the cost of wood maybe?
- There were no slippers, no shoe care kits, or bathrobes. Extremely weird as far as I'm concerned.
- In a city filled with free public beaches, I wondered why the hotel charged €12.5 per person to access the pool. This should be provided by default to hotel residents.
- Oh, and they charge room rates by the number of persons which I found ridiculous. I booked a standard room with a queen sized bed (no breakfast or internet) online. The rate changed from €140 to €170 the moment my wife handed in her passport during check in. Yup, they charge by the head. Never did I encounter this throughout my trips.
- The gym is a joke. More of a fitness room. They should at least check out the gyms of rival hotels and try to imitate. And the ceiling was super low. Cant skip rope if you wanted to.
- The metro station was a 1 minute walk which was very convenient.
- The hotel itself is not located in a touristic area. Walking to Marquise de Pombal is a 20 minute walk (closest thing to a touristic area).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Waminator
Dear Client, Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your recent stay in Lisbon and also for the comments you have posted regarding your experience. We are sorry to hear that the decor and design of our rooms and corridors were not to your liking as this quite modern and trendy design is usually quite appreciated by all our visitors and guests. Having said that, tastes differ... Again, many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Kind regards, Antonio Pereira, General Manager