“A perfect hotel”

Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #63 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I stayed here on the way home from Africa on the last evening of the volcano crisis. Even after this frantic ten-day period, the service was extraordinary: friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. I asked them to open the gym after its regular closing time.Two staff did so very willingly and made sure that I was comfortable. Apparently, they kept the staff on while they renovated in 2007. A clever idea reflected in the dedication and expertise of the team.

The room was comfortable, well planned and very quiet. I'm not sure that I would have liked the glass-walled bathroom if I had been staying with somebody but I was alone and it was great.

The room service was fast, friendly and reasonably priced (about 30 Euros for dinner). The minbar was, of course, outrageous but name a hotel where the prices are not and these are not as bad as Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkCWales
VANDCAR, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen the Sheraton Hotel for your last stay in Lisboa.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind comments regarding our product, our service and our staff. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal and excellent service.
We do look forward to welcome you in a not too distant future!

António Pereira

Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed 6 May 2010

As a Platinum level Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) member, I obviously stay at lots of Starwood hotels, including Sheratons. This was my first trip to Lisbon and first time staying at this 2007 refurbished hotel. I loved it!

I stayed on the 21st floor. FYI, the Sheraton is the tallest building in the entire city. I had a view from my room across the city to and beyond the river. The hotel is in a business, not a tourist, area. It is a hearty 20 minute walk downhill to the Baixa tourist area. The metro is nearby but we always took the taxi for 5 Euro and a 5 minute ride. There are a several restaurants in the area of all types. The hop on, hop off tourist buses pick up 2 blocks away and we enjoyed the Yellow Bus tour.

The hotel lobby is large. Check in was smooth. 6 free computers with a printer was excellent. Concierge was helpful as were bellboys. Lobby has a large bar with plenty of comfortable seating and an 8 foot TV screen (for watching soccer). Breakfast is also served in the restaurant area of this floor. There is a special SPG desk person.

4 elevators worked swiftly. Hallways on room floors are elegant and quiet. Our room had a Queen size bed, and electric shades that COMPLETELY blocked out the sun which was perfect. Very modern room, including bathroom. 42 inch flat screen was nice. Huge closets for a hotel room. There was a pool but never saw anyone use it.

We ate breakfast at the large, comfortable, and quiet 24th floor club lounge which was superb. Nice buffet and staffed with a person inquring whether you want tea or coffee. Newspapers of different languages available. To me, this was the best part of the hotel - a real place to relax, read, chat with other travelers, watch TV, get a refreshing drink and something to eat all day long.

Expensive restaurant and bar on the top floor were also elegant with beautiful views of the city. Staff throughout the hotel were friendly and efficient. Everyone spoke sufficient English.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to any visitor, even after reading some of the prior negative reviews.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PAQ
VANDCAR, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

Dear Guest,
It is indeed very rewarding to receive Customers like yourself, who take the time to convey their thanks to us. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stay at Sheratons a lot when I travel ... seeing them as "safe" options for my first stop in a new city. This one was definitely *not* safe, though.

It started with the ridiculous inefficiency at check-in. There were at least four computer terminals and at least five clerks, but they could only process one check-in at a time through a keystone-cop-like group effort. When I finally got my turn, I found that my request for an early check-in (on the strength of my starwood preferred 'gold' status) had been ignored. They did have plenty of empty rooms ready (even at 8:30 in the morning), but they insisted on charging me an extra 50 euros "early check-in fee". For what? They just had to keep that empty room empty for another four hours to avoid bankruptcy? Amazing! I could understand if the rooms were not cleaned yet, but that was horrible "service". I did avoid one extra charge, though. While my gold status supposedly entitles me to an upgraded room "subject to availability" and club access, I would have had to pay a fee to get that "perq".

The hotel location was also sub-optimal. It was close to a metro line, but far away from anything of interest ... either to a tourist or a business traveler. Again ... exactly the kind of thing I was trying to avoid by choosing it in the first place.

Breakfast was another adventure. I was not about to pay 19 euro for a buffet I would barely sample anyway, so I asked if they had a menu. Sure enough, there was an omelette available for 9 euro, so I ordered that along with coffee. I was near the end of the sitting, and most of the tables were empty. They sat me right in the middle, though, and then all four of the serving staff began to noisily rest the tables around me for lunch. The noise included loud conversations carried on directly over my head and I was frequently crowded as they rushed back and forth behind my chair ... way too busy to bother with freshening up my coffee. Meanwhile, there were several empty 2-person tables on the periphery of the room that were empty and available. The real surprise, though, came when i checked the bill. The single cup of coffee brought my total bill to 14 euros ... I was glad I had not gotten a refill, because at the rate they were going that probably would have brought me up to the full buffet cost.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank VirtuallyAnywhere

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen the Sheraton Hotel for your recent stay in Lisboa!
We do appreciate your comments! We take this opportunity to inform that in fact by the time you have arrived (08h30AM) we did not have any rooms available, as our standard check out is at 12h00 and check-in from 14h00PM onwards.
We also do regret to learn that you did not have the opportunity to experience our Lobby Bistrot buffet breakfast, as it is very complete and seems to please to most of our guests.

Nevertheless, we do look forward to welcome you in a not too distant future in our property.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

I've waited a week to write my review of this hotel because there were so many things I needed to give some serious thought about. I've made up my mind - I won't return. Having read the other Trip Advisor reviews, I pretty much knew what I was expecting, but they STILL managed to throw in some fees that are unheard of in the hotel industry. Yes, there's the 12.50 Euro fee for use of the pool. Perhaps that explained why I never once saw anyone at the pool. If other Starwood properties begin this "fee for pool use" policy, I'll simply discontinue the Starwood program and stay elsewhere. Of course, the mini bar prices were overboard the usual and customary charges, but that wasn't really a problem, either. I initially thought 19.00 Euro/day was high for internet (which it is) but checked out other high end hotels and found the same overpriced tactics. I had dinner at the Panorama restaurant the first night I was there. The food and service were good, but again, I discovered a grossly over-inflated "fee". Namely, I was charged 6.50 Euro for "couvert." When I inquired about this, the waiter said it was for the bread basket - I had one piece of bread - should have been tacky and taken the entire basket back to the room. I learned a couple nights later how outlandish this charge was when I ate at Eleven - the only Michelin star restaurant in Lisbon. Their "couvert" was only 4.50 Euro, and included much much more than bread - all for less $$ than the Panorama. Again - Sheraton is a rip off.

Now - this is the one that hasn't been mentioned in the reviews, and the only one that caught me completly off guard - I"m still mad. I booked a city tour with the concierge. The 38.00 Euro charge was put on the room account. The totally stunning thing was, that, upon ckeckout, I was floored to see the hotel had charged me a 2.8% CASH ADVANCE FEE for the tour booking. No cash ever traded hands; no cash was ever seen; no cash was involved. I've taken these tours all over the world and have NEVER been charged a cash advance fee for a tour. I decided then and there, I'd never return to the hotel.

The rooms were wonderful, the breakfast excellent, the hotel clean, and the staff helpful. The location is poor poor, so taxi or metro is the only option out of this place. The nearest metro is a few blocks away. If the Sheraton were the only option in Lisbon, I'd stay here again, but fortunately it is not. It's far from the action, and overpriced at every junction. Head south toward town, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Drroady
VANDCAR, Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Sheraton Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Lisboa and for taking the time to post your constructive comments on our standards and service.
We do look forward to welcome you again in a not too distant future!

Reviewed 18 April 2010

After 3 days at the Caloura on Sao Miguel, aka Heaven on Earth, we (two couples who go way back) had originally booked 6 nights at the Hotel Costa da Caparica. BIG Mistake. It looked – and sounded – like my old college dorm. So, 4 hours after check-in (at 9:00PM on a Saturday night) and trusting the Sheraton brand name, we called and were told we could reserve 2 rooms at 150 Euros each – but – could save some money if we booked online. Sure enough, online we were able to book the rest of the week at the Sheraton Lisbon for the base price of 124 Euros a night.
Checking in on a Sunday morning, we found the Sheraton to be everything you’d expect for a 5-Star rating. A beautiful lobby, attentive professional staff and impeccably decorated, modern looking rooms with lots of stainless steel and glass. Plus something unusual for Europe - a queen size bed with a good mattress.
One word of warning – be aware that the Sheraton is strictly a la carte. The 124 Euro’s was the room only. You pay extra for everything from using the pool to the in-room internet and none of it was cheap. I can only imagine what dinner at either of the restaurants would cost (after a sticker shock bar tab, we didn’t bother checking). What was worth the price was the breakfast buffet at 23 Euros per person. It was fantastic – plenty of variety and everything was fresh and hot. We made sure to eat our fill each morning before heading out to explore Lisbon and the surrounding areas. All in all, a 5-Star with breakfast for 170 Euros a day ($250 at the time) was a bargain
A bit out of the center of Lisbon, but still very convenient with a subway stop just around the block and plenty of taxis on hand. Taxis in Lisbon have to be the best bargain ever - 5 Euros will get you anywhere in the city and every driver we had spoke enough English. The subway system is on par with the DC Metro and with day-passes at 4.40 Euros is a great deal. The ferry across the Tagus to the giant Christo Rei (Christ the King) statue is worth a ride also; Take the elevator to the top for an amazing view.
Our 5 days in Lisbon were far too jam-packed to even begin to describe here. We could’ve easily spent another week and not run out of things to see and do, or restaurants to try. Must see: the Castelo Sao Jorge (photo) and the Monastery in Belem. If you can handle a couple hours on a bus, check put Fatima. Whether you’re religious or not, the place will impress you. If you’re really into castles, take the train to Sintra where there several amazing ones, not to mention the fabulous (if oddly named) Hockey Café and the truly bizarre Quinta de Regaleira (photo). We ate dinner each night in the Bairro Alto and were always more than pleased with the food and the prices. Definitely worth a return trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
VANDCAR, GUEST RELATIONS MANAGER - VANDA CARVALHO at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2010

Kind regards,
Antonio Pereira

Reviewed 13 April 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights after visting Porto. Hotel was beautifully designed and impressive to walk into. Staff were a little stiff, efficient but unfriendly. On a plus, they all spoke English (seems to be common in Portugal). Room was lovely, glass bathroom with seperate WC. Plenty of space and everything in room. On a negative, the iron and kettle were both broken and you had to hold the kettle for it to boil. On the 2nd morning, there was no hot water, although it was fine in afternoon. Ok as I was relaxing but not ideal for corporates.

Ate in restaurant on top of hotel, impressive views, food and service - very friendly staff - pricey but you get what you pay for. Also ate in lounge and room service - both were ok but overpriced with 5-star mark-ups - service was just ok and the same in bar.

Location was a bit out of main centre but a nice 20 min walk to get there (straight road so no geting lost) - underground nearby but near used it. free computers with internet and printing in lobby which was good.

Main negatives would be improve service and correct the little issues in bedrooms
Positives - room design and size, restaurant on top of hotel.

Got a very good deal for advance purchase for the room on website just a couple of wks out.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DdublinJ
VANDCAR, Guest Relations - Vanda Carvalho at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having selected Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa for your recent stay, and for having taken the time to give us your feed-back, a most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We are sorry we haven’t been able to meet all your expectations, and would like to inform you that we have taken the measures we believe appropriate in order to improve our service delivery.
Best regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2010

Excellent hotel
would go again - good room - nice staff - good bar

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having selected Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa for your last stay, and for having taken the time to give us your feed-back, a most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I was delighted to read of your last stay here with us. Our goal is to make sure that all guests feel as though they belong during their time with us and that each visit is a special one. I do hope we achieved this during your visit and your valuable comments only assist us in ensuring that others too can continue to benefit from our service.

Looking forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you again soon at our property.

Best regards,