“Nice view, nice spa, nice interior”

Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #63 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 14 June 2010

This Sheraton offers a nice view over Lisbon, but I've heard there should be even better ones. The spa is 12,50€ pp extra but worth it, offering a sauna, hamam, hot tub and relaxing zone indoors as well as an (unheated) pool outside (no view whatsoever). Fitness center is free of charge.

I like the full glassed bathrooms offering some amazing views if travelling with a desirable companion.

Not so nice are the rooms on the 16th floor (no club) and below on the very east of the building (rooms XX11 etc), because all you will so is a wall of another building very near to your window.

Location is ok, near to the subway and only a short ride to all important must sees.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
VANDCAR, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Sheraton Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Lisboa and for taking the time to post your opinion.

We do appreciate your constructive comments on our standards and service and please rest assured that your opinion will be shared with the Management team, in order to improve our service delivery.

We do look forward to welcome you again in a not too distant future!

Best Regards,
António Pereira

Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed 23 May 2010

I stayed in Sheraton Lisboa in mid-March. It was my second stay and I knew what to expect. The hotel doesn't look very good from outside, and it's a bit out of centre (at least a 20 minute's walk from Praca Marques de Pombal), but the rooms have been renovated a few years ago and the style is modern.
The restaurant meals are really pricey for Lisbon, but of good quality, and I can say the same about the drinks at the bar.
There is a spa, a small fitness centre, and a swimming pool (out in the small courtyard),
and it's understandable that they have to charge for the use of spa services. What is not understandable, is that they charge hotel guests even for using the sauna and the pool.

I stayed in a room on club level, in one of the higher floors. The view is really nice and I don't really have anything to complain about the room itself.

But, there is a problem. For me it's a big one, and I believe it's a problem for many others, too. There is a very strong and unpleasant smell in the top floor panoramic bar,
caused by a vaporizer spraying an interior fragrance, almost like those typical in Middle-East countries. It is absolutely a no-go for me, as it's really too strong to be pleasant. Unfortunately I noticed the same strong smell immediately when I got out of the lift on the club lounge floor. I was intending to have a breakfast in the lounge, but it was impossible, as the smell was so strong, and I lost my appetite completely. Mixing an interior fragrance and food is definitely a mistake.
I suffer from a slight allergy for perfumes, and already a short stay in both the bar and the club lounge caused a reaction.
This problem was a new thing at Sheraton, during my earlier stay I didn't notice anything like that. I wonder if the fragrance is used to hide other smells and replace the freshness of the air, but whatever the reason, I cannot imagine anyone would enjoy it.

I guess I might try Sheraton one more time, and see if they have fresh air this time.

By the way, the blond waitress (maybe of Russian origin) in the top floor bar was really lovely, and she certainly knew how to mix fantastic drinks. It would have been a pleasure to stay at the bar longer, but in this case it was unfortunately impossible. I stayed a whole week, but visited the bar only once.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whim
VANDCAR, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2010

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Sheraton Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Lisboa and for taking the time to post your appreciated comments on this website.
We do appreciate your constructive comments on our standards and service as we always do our best to provide the excelence service to all our guests.
We do look forward to welcome you again in a not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton for 4 nights with family and friends for my 30th birthday treat. The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but everyone in the party was impressed with the bedrooms - they were really modern with buttons for everything (nice lights, curtains, blackout blinds) and the bathrooms had a glass wall (with a blind for the shy ones!) which looked great, and a huge bath!
The service was excellent. The manager sent us champagne, strawberries and chocolate for my birthday, which was a lovely treat.
Our only complaint was the €12.50 EUR per person per day charge to use the pool. We didn't expect this and with a party of 10, this was a hefty price for something that is usually free of charge for hotel guests. There is, though, a great jacuzzi inside which we thoroughly enjoyed.
There was a member of staff in the salon that I thought to be extremely pushy and I found myself having a treatment I didn't really want but maybe I just need to toughen up!
The Panorama bar on the top floor offered excellent views and a lovely atmosphere but the menu wasn't to my liking so we only had drinks when we did visit.
I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank GLouR
VANDCAR, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Dear Guest,

We do thank your for your comments! We are very pleased to learn that you have had an unforgettable experience at our property!

Looking forward to welcome you soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2010

I stayed here on the way home from Africa on the last evening of the volcano crisis. Even after this frantic ten-day period, the service was extraordinary: friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. I asked them to open the gym after its regular closing time.Two staff did so very willingly and made sure that I was comfortable. Apparently, they kept the staff on while they renovated in 2007. A clever idea reflected in the dedication and expertise of the team.

The room was comfortable, well planned and very quiet. I'm not sure that I would have liked the glass-walled bathroom if I had been staying with somebody but I was alone and it was great.

The room service was fast, friendly and reasonably priced (about 30 Euros for dinner). The minbar was, of course, outrageous but name a hotel where the prices are not and these are not as bad as Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkCWales
VANDCAR, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen the Sheraton Hotel for your last stay in Lisboa.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind comments regarding our product, our service and our staff. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal and excellent service.
We do look forward to welcome you in a not too distant future!

Reviewed 6 May 2010

As a Platinum level Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) member, I obviously stay at lots of Starwood hotels, including Sheratons. This was my first trip to Lisbon and first time staying at this 2007 refurbished hotel. I loved it!

I stayed on the 21st floor. FYI, the Sheraton is the tallest building in the entire city. I had a view from my room across the city to and beyond the river. The hotel is in a business, not a tourist, area. It is a hearty 20 minute walk downhill to the Baixa tourist area. The metro is nearby but we always took the taxi for 5 Euro and a 5 minute ride. There are a several restaurants in the area of all types. The hop on, hop off tourist buses pick up 2 blocks away and we enjoyed the Yellow Bus tour.

The hotel lobby is large. Check in was smooth. 6 free computers with a printer was excellent. Concierge was helpful as were bellboys. Lobby has a large bar with plenty of comfortable seating and an 8 foot TV screen (for watching soccer). Breakfast is also served in the restaurant area of this floor. There is a special SPG desk person.

4 elevators worked swiftly. Hallways on room floors are elegant and quiet. Our room had a Queen size bed, and electric shades that COMPLETELY blocked out the sun which was perfect. Very modern room, including bathroom. 42 inch flat screen was nice. Huge closets for a hotel room. There was a pool but never saw anyone use it.

We ate breakfast at the large, comfortable, and quiet 24th floor club lounge which was superb. Nice buffet and staffed with a person inquring whether you want tea or coffee. Newspapers of different languages available. To me, this was the best part of the hotel - a real place to relax, read, chat with other travelers, watch TV, get a refreshing drink and something to eat all day long.

Expensive restaurant and bar on the top floor were also elegant with beautiful views of the city. Staff throughout the hotel were friendly and efficient. Everyone spoke sufficient English.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to any visitor, even after reading some of the prior negative reviews.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PAQ
VANDCAR, General Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

Dear Guest,
It is indeed very rewarding to receive Customers like yourself, who take the time to convey their thanks to us. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stay at Sheratons a lot when I travel ... seeing them as "safe" options for my first stop in a new city. This one was definitely *not* safe, though.

It started with the ridiculous inefficiency at check-in. There were at least four computer terminals and at least five clerks, but they could only process one check-in at a time through a keystone-cop-like group effort. When I finally got my turn, I found that my request for an early check-in (on the strength of my starwood preferred 'gold' status) had been ignored. They did have plenty of empty rooms ready (even at 8:30 in the morning), but they insisted on charging me an extra 50 euros "early check-in fee". For what? They just had to keep that empty room empty for another four hours to avoid bankruptcy? Amazing! I could understand if the rooms were not cleaned yet, but that was horrible "service". I did avoid one extra charge, though. While my gold status supposedly entitles me to an upgraded room "subject to availability" and club access, I would have had to pay a fee to get that "perq".

The hotel location was also sub-optimal. It was close to a metro line, but far away from anything of interest ... either to a tourist or a business traveler. Again ... exactly the kind of thing I was trying to avoid by choosing it in the first place.

Breakfast was another adventure. I was not about to pay 19 euro for a buffet I would barely sample anyway, so I asked if they had a menu. Sure enough, there was an omelette available for 9 euro, so I ordered that along with coffee. I was near the end of the sitting, and most of the tables were empty. They sat me right in the middle, though, and then all four of the serving staff began to noisily rest the tables around me for lunch. The noise included loud conversations carried on directly over my head and I was frequently crowded as they rushed back and forth behind my chair ... way too busy to bother with freshening up my coffee. Meanwhile, there were several empty 2-person tables on the periphery of the room that were empty and available. The real surprise, though, came when i checked the bill. The single cup of coffee brought my total bill to 14 euros ... I was glad I had not gotten a refill, because at the rate they were going that probably would have brought me up to the full buffet cost.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank VirtuallyAnywhere

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen the Sheraton Hotel for your recent stay in Lisboa!
We do appreciate your comments! We take this opportunity to inform that in fact by the time you have arrived (08h30AM) we did not have any rooms available, as our standard check out is at 12h00 and check-in from 14h00PM onwards.
We also do regret to learn that you did not have the opportunity to experience our Lobby Bistrot buffet breakfast, as it is very complete and seems to please to most of our guests.

Nevertheless, we do look forward to welcome you in a not too distant future in our property.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

I've waited a week to write my review of this hotel because there were so many things I needed to give some serious thought about. I've made up my mind - I won't return. Having read the other Trip Advisor reviews, I pretty much knew what I was expecting, but they STILL managed to throw in some fees that are unheard of in the hotel industry. Yes, there's the 12.50 Euro fee for use of the pool. Perhaps that explained why I never once saw anyone at the pool. If other Starwood properties begin this "fee for pool use" policy, I'll simply discontinue the Starwood program and stay elsewhere. Of course, the mini bar prices were overboard the usual and customary charges, but that wasn't really a problem, either. I initially thought 19.00 Euro/day was high for internet (which it is) but checked out other high end hotels and found the same overpriced tactics. I had dinner at the Panorama restaurant the first night I was there. The food and service were good, but again, I discovered a grossly over-inflated "fee". Namely, I was charged 6.50 Euro for "couvert." When I inquired about this, the waiter said it was for the bread basket - I had one piece of bread - should have been tacky and taken the entire basket back to the room. I learned a couple nights later how outlandish this charge was when I ate at Eleven - the only Michelin star restaurant in Lisbon. Their "couvert" was only 4.50 Euro, and included much much more than bread - all for less $$ than the Panorama. Again - Sheraton is a rip off.

Now - this is the one that hasn't been mentioned in the reviews, and the only one that caught me completly off guard - I"m still mad. I booked a city tour with the concierge. The 38.00 Euro charge was put on the room account. The totally stunning thing was, that, upon ckeckout, I was floored to see the hotel had charged me a 2.8% CASH ADVANCE FEE for the tour booking. No cash ever traded hands; no cash was ever seen; no cash was involved. I've taken these tours all over the world and have NEVER been charged a cash advance fee for a tour. I decided then and there, I'd never return to the hotel.

The rooms were wonderful, the breakfast excellent, the hotel clean, and the staff helpful. The location is poor poor, so taxi or metro is the only option out of this place. The nearest metro is a few blocks away. If the Sheraton were the only option in Lisbon, I'd stay here again, but fortunately it is not. It's far from the action, and overpriced at every junction. Head south toward town, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Drroady
VANDCAR, Manager at Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2010

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for the preference you showed on choosing the Sheraton Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in Lisboa and for taking the time to post your constructive comments on our standards and service.
We do look forward to welcome you again in a not too distant future!