“Nice Hotel Good Location”

Tivoli Oriente Hotel
Ranked #104 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed our final night before returning to Scotland. Travelling with 2 young children and a grandparent. Chose the hotel because of proximity to the Airport. An 11am flight in the morning. Breakfast was included and a very good buffet breakfast it was too. Check in could have been a bit slicker. We had a Junior Suite on the 11th Floor. It was a bit dated, but they had put up camp beds for the kids in the lounge of the suite and my wife and I had the main bedroom. Beds were ok, but as a previous Reviewer has said air con was not strong enough. Excellent location though and 10 mins to the airport in the morning which was only 8.50 euros. My Dad was with us and he had a single superior room on the 13th Floor and it was a nicer room, recently refurbished. Staff all friendly though and near Oceanarium and Cable Car (for kids). I would recommend it but make sure you get a deal. I e-mailed hotel direct.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the River or cable car
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ret174
There are newer reviews for Tivoli Oriente Hotel

Reviewed 12 October 2011

Excellent Location and good clean hotel. The staff were efficient, room was clean and spacious and as we were up on the 14th floor, we heard no noise from the trains. The only reason I give it 4 instead of 5 stars is that the air-conditioning in the room was not strong enough.
IF YOU WANT A NO-FUSS HOTEL, THIS IS IT!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JSTEAD32
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I traveled to Lisbon for his conference and have been aching to go home from the moment we stepped foot into our hotel room. We arrived on Continental's 8:30am flight (which, by the way, if you can avoid coming in so early, I recommend it! No one wants to wait until noon with their bags to go explore the city while extremely jet lagged). Our room was not ready, but the lady at the front desk made a couple of calls and got us into a room within 20 minutes. My first impression was influenced with extreme gratitude as we were both incredibly tired.

We stepped into the room and back into 1991, apparently. Don't let the photos on the website give you the wrong idea - if you booked at this hotel for a discounted rate, they will stick you in the pink, flowery rooms with the bathrooms that have mold. The beds are your generic $99 springs-with-no-padding specials. I had my husband flip the mattress up and uncover it to check for bed bugs - I did not trust this place to not be infested with insects.

Our biggest issue has been starving in the morning! We had not been told at the time of check in that we had breakfast included in the rate (the hotel was booked through a different party). We finally muster the energy on the last day in the city to go forage for some breakfast and we find out that we could have been enjoying the morning buffet each day. (The buffet isn't bad, I expected worse from Tivoli). For three days we have been snacking upon one or two things in the mini bar, spending 3.50E on this and that. Upon finding out that we have been utterly wasting our precious dollars, I decided to talk a walk to the front desk and ask them about the confusion. I asked them to consider comping us for about 15E worth of food we had to forage on this past week. We were greeted by a manager who, obviously, had better things to do than deal with us. He came out to tell us that it was our responsibility to have checked and he would not refund anything. Not even one day's worth of buffets, which would have been 20E. I thanked him and told him that I would be spreading the word about Tivoli and my experiences.

There is a reason that this hotel is only ranked #64 for the city of Lisbon. We had no choice as to the hotel to stay at, but if we were ever to return we would most certainly, absolutely, without a doubt choose another hotel!

Room Tip: The walls are paper thin and the maids LOVE making a huge racket in the mornings. There is no such t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Frankie H
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My wife and I recently stayed one night at the Lisbon Tivoli Oriente and were very disappointed with for several reasons: Starting with the individual at reception who checked us in to a room that had not been prepared or cleaned - dirty linens, unmade bed etc. This could have been a mistake on his part, but the initial brusk, uncommunicative and indifferent attitude shown when we checked in initially was shown to be a consistent behavior when we returned to the lobby to complain about the room. The receptionist failed to even mumble an apology, took our room cards and left for almost 15 min. On returning, the receptionist without speaking thrust two reprogrammed cards into our hands. The new room did have the original requested single bed, but also a cot made up for a third person, which was never removed and inconveniently occupied a significant amount of the limited floor space. The newly assigned room had a foul, musty odor on entering, that could only be masked by running the air conditioner for an hour since the windows could not be opened. The bath had no functional exhaust and there was no way to easily leave the door to the bath open so that it could be ventilated. The floor of the shower stall was damaged in two spots, which created an uneven rough surface in spots. The heavy swinging doors had no stops installed, so they were a hazard when they swung free. My wife and I did not return to the lobby to request another room as we were extremely tired from a day of traveling and just wished to clean up and get some sleep before flying out early the next day. Our stay did not communicate either quality or an "experience more" type of memory that the hotel wishes to project.

We traveled with friends and their room on a higher floor was similar to ours in terms of age, inadequate ventilation and cleanliness.

In summary - some staff were not helpful, the rooms poorly cared for and inadequately ventilated.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. The hotel is a short taxi ride to the airport.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Guillermo425
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This hotel is excellent. We stayed there at the beginning of August.
The hotel is in the Parque das Nacoes area, which is far from downtown Lisbon, but it must be the best located hotel for transportation. The Gare de Oriente is right across the street (with trains to Porto, and other places, a metro station, etc.), the Vasco da Gama shopping centre is also across the street, and all the attractions in the Parque das Nacoes (the Oceanarium, etc.) are just a short walk.
The hotel itself is very nice. Our room was very comfortable, very quiet, and had great views. The personal was very attentive and breakfast was good.
I cannot fault this hotel with anything. We had a great time during our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank El_Josu
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Spending our last night in Portugal at Tivoli Oriente was a bit disapointing. Judging by the modern, well decorated lobby we thought the room would somehow be around the same level but boy were we wrong.. the rooms are very outdated and the bathroom...well, the bathtub not only was dirty but also very old and stained, not enough towels, shower curtain rod broken...
Anyways, we had dinner at Hippopotemus Restaurant (by the lobby): the food was really good and very affordable but unfortunately my fiance forgot his Iphone on top of the table. when we realized 1hr later they told us that the waiter that took care of us was changing to go home and he didn't have anything. We insisted to file a written complaint but the manager said unfortunately there's was nothing they could do. In my opinion they didn't do enough. Had they cared they would have searched the waiter or smth because they phone had to be somewhere right?
Wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justme321
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The hotel is a little bit far away from the city centre, but the location is worth it: the surroundings look safe with its modern architecture, clean streets and loads of restaurants, shops and a very nice embankment to take a pleasant evening walk. As for the hotel itself, it’s well furnished and spotless, the staff is friendly and helpful, the food in the restaurant is delicious and the breakfast is various and sundry. The only thing that wasn’t so great was the view of railways from the window of the room I stayed in, but it didn’t matter at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the window that isn't facing onto railways
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business