“An interesting surprise...”
Review of Hotel Roma

Hotel Roma
Ranked #112 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I had to stop by in Lisbon for the second week of March, and I was looking for a hotel... I found Hotel Roma poping up in every research, and I decided to chose it, for many reasons. First, price, then location (near a metro station), and word-of-mouth...

I knew I was facing a three star hotel, but I was also aware that some maintenence was made lately.

I arrived in a Sunday late afternoon to the airport, and I took a cab for 8 EUR till the Hotel. Located in the up-scaled street 'Avenida de Roma', The hotel is one of the landmarks of this neibourhood. I step into the stairs, and I had waiting already a very handsome and gentle 'bell boy' ready to help me with my bags. I quickly directed myself to the reception trought the amazing huge and well illuminated and furinted hall. I remember that I had a good first contact with the receptionist, that took care of every detail professionally, but gently as well. I also took care of the asking to change the room for the upper floors afterwards, and she took care of it for me afterwards.

First I was in a smoking room, in the 3rd floor, and I could say that it was great room. A nice TV, with a great double bed, pretty confortable. The doulble window, was also great, and made me remeber where are we living in. Good old lisbon. Great bathroom as well. I was very impressed with a rope in the shower, that allows guests to wash clothers for examples, and hang them there.. In another aspect, I also spoke with the one of the ladies of the 'housekeeping', and we made our 'deal'. I would like to only change two towels per two days, and keep the soap for all week. She understoot. I was happy as well.

I had the opportunity to eat at the restaurant for the night, and I must say that I was somehow happy also. The service, I could see it was very polite,a dnold school. Somehow I did notlike my soup, but afterwards, the 'Bitoque', or in english, the traditional pork steak with french fries, was good enough to make me more delighted. I ate quickly, because I do ot like to hang much nearby thoses guests that hold those meal vouchers given by the Airline companies... They behave very nasty sometimes. But for the restaurant, I have nothing to say..

The breakfast, in another location, was also another good experience. I liked the huge room, with two sides offering juices, coffees, breads, eggs, bacon or sausages, some ham and cheese, fruit, cakes and other goods, that really give the right start for any given day. The buffet a litle monotonous and repetitive, but for the price, very accepted. I liked it!

Meanwhile I mooved to a the 10th floor (I guess, not sure) And I was in another room, this time with a great view over Lisbon, and that location. The Tv this time was very small, and old. The bath, was the same. And I have spoken once more with the housekeeping about the towels...Also with the balcony, I was very much watching and taking some fresh air, enjoying the sightseeing..

Nearby there are also plenty of small and big restaurants, of witch you can eat meat, fish, sandwiches or snacks, you have also the metro station, that allows you to quickly surf trough Lisbon, or you can also walk a lot trough those streets, that are also of an exclusiveness that you can´t imagine.

In sum, the service, the location, the quality for the price and the coziness, makes me sure that I will choose this hotel in the next staying in Lisbon. I indeed understand the hotel´s board decision in maintaining the three start hotel recognition, instead of forcing a four star status quo. As the old portuguese saying reffeers to: 'Mais vale um pássaro na mão, do que dois a voar' - It is better to hold one bird in our hand, than to see two flying..

A very interesting surprise that made me share this excellent review!

Comgratulations Roma!

Room Tip: Choose the upper floors for better views, and possible balconies. Choose lower floors if you need a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

Great view of the city from our 8th floor room. Very clean room , a/c not function but windows do open wide and no bugs. The trains running by just outside did not bother us at all. The metro is so close and convient and clean. The best way to get around Lisbon for sure. The food (breakfast only) was good and the wine is very inexpensive. Enjoyed a Fado show. Yes I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank travelwisard
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We were a group of 13 people coming from Madeira after we missed two connecting flights back home because of a storm. With the kind support of Abreu airport office agent Viktor Bako we got invoices from TAP for one night stay and taxi transportation to and from Hotel Roma. The room was not exceptional, but OK to spend the second extra-night of our almost three days journey back home. The bathroom supplied with all necessary: shampoo, soap, hairdryer, bidet, phone and so on. A small wall mounted TV set was enough for me. Furniture in good condition, and bed linen clean. The dinner was very good, too. After a good rest in this hotel we flew to Munich next day where we missed again for the third time, our connection flight to Bucharest because of the fog. Lufthansa found a quick solution to board us in an afternoon flight. I do not think if I would have stayed longer in Hotel Roma, my impression would be different. After Vila Gale in Santa Cruz (Madeira), Hotel Roma was the second good hotel provided by TAP on our unforgettable way home. I would also appreciate the support of the reception desk staff on duty, who managed well providing us taxis in time to the Airport, early in the morning.

Room Tip: I do not remember the floor, but I know my room was located on the left of the hallway coming from...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Roma on two occasions. It is a good solid 3 star hotel that represents very good value for money. It is very conveniently situated about 15 -20 minutes in a taxi from the airport and main train station (depending on traffic), and 1 minute from Roma Metro station and then easy access into the centre of Lisbon. The hotel is comfortable, on our first stay we had a very spacious room on the 9th floor with settee and and a small balcony, on our second stay a smaller but pleasant room on the 4th floor. The beds were very comfortable.The staff were uniformly extremely helpful and pleasant and everyone spoke excellent English and were happy to suffer (and encourage) my very poor Portuguese! The is a good substantial breakfast (although the coffee is awful!) and the resturaunt offers a tourist evening meal of 3 courses including wine for under 20 euros. The food was tasty and quite acceptable if not exceptional. The WiFi on the 9th floor didn't work well but the staff were helpful about this.We thought it very good value for money and would recomend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nick T
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed here with 2 colleagues for 4 nights and wasn't too impressed. On past reviews guests said they had wooden floors, a balcony and a living area. Our room had carpets and although it was clean and spacious, there was no living area or balcony. Our stay would have been more enjoyable if the receptionists weren't so snobby. They treated us like children (we are 28) and the rest of the staff looked constantly scared, as if they were about to be sacked if they did anything wrong (I suspect this is poor, old fashioned management). Also, the room service was overpriced and undercooked. There are better hotels for the same price in Lisbon.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in with very clean and spacious rooms including living area with sofa, chairs and coffee table. Lots of closet space, spacious bathroom and hardwood floors without smelly carpets. Great breakfast buffet and friendly staff. Huge lobby with lots of comfy seating and proximity to subway, restaurants and shopping!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Juandalust
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed in Hotel Roma for 4nights while visiting friends in Lisbon. I can highly recommend it. 4 adults shared a family room. The hotel and rooms were spotless. Hotel and rooms have been completely refurbished. Booked bed and breakfast through Travelrepublic.co.uk at a bargain price. All staff around the hotel were so friendly and helpful. Room was huge with nice decor and furniture, twin beds at one end of room. with 2 size sofas at other end which converted into full size single beds and very comfortable mattresses. We had a big bathroom, again very clean and 2 big double wardrobes.
Breakfast was a good buffet with a wide variety of breads and pastries. Scrambled eggs and sausages, cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruit and cereals. We also had 2 evening meals in the hotel, they offer a 3 course menu of the day including a drink and coffee for 18 euros. The first evening meal was really good food a delicious meal we all chose something different. But the second evening meal we had was awful, a different chef maybe. We passed our comments on to the waiter at the door. So we found a great Italian restaurant round the corner called LUCCA"s, very good prices for last 2 evenings. Lucca's is really busy so you need to book a table.

The Hotel is 15 mins taxi ride from airport cost 7 euros, on the outskirts of the city centre which is probably why it is cheaper, so you need transport to the historical part and main shopping area There is a Taxi rank outside hotel, drivers were offering a tour around all local sights and costal towns for 19 euros. Metro is right outside. We chose to use tourist Hop on Hop off double decker open top buses which went to all historic areas and shops ( 4 different routes to use ) 18 euros for 48 hr ticket. the hotel reception sells the tickets. The routes pass by at Bull Ring 10 mins easy walk from hotel. Lots of shops and cares nearby hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013