“Very reasonable hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
England
“Very reasonable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

I was a bit concerned when I read some of the reviews on this hotel. However, I found the Hotel Roma to be very clean and comfortable. The rooms are an average size. The buffet breakfast was quite good. Whilst the hotel does get a lot of coach parties, this is to be expected in a large hotel. It didn't bother me. They could do with an extra elevator as the two are quite busy. Reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank StacyEngland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

If you miss a connection or flight through Air Portugal, this is where you will possibly stay. it is one of the worst hotels I've experienced. I would never stay here on my own knowing what I know now unless I wasn't in possessions of my faculties.

Just like other reviewers pointed out, the reception staff is terrible, the outside of the hotel is blacken from years of traffic, dirt and the elements. The room is dirty, the TV was so small I thought it was a joke.

During check-in I managed to get a glimpse of the people staying at the hotel due to Air Portugal screw ups. it was easy 85% of all people in the hotel.

In my opinion this is what the marriage of Hotel Roma and Air Portugal is all about: This hotel would never survive on its own so it needs Air Portugal but at the same time it does not like the agreement. Air Portugal needs a pigsty to dump passengers that is cheap and they have some leverage. Put these two together and you have his terrible experience.

After 4 hours in this hotel I called a cab, changed hotels and payed another one from my own pocket.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank solCalifornia
Merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

You will be surprised by the deceptive appearance of this hotel. It looks like a youth hostel from the outside but it is like a tardis and is very nice and comfortable inside. The bar area is nice, comfortable and reasonably priced. We did not have any evening meals there but the breakfast was ok. There is a metro station with access to Central Lisbon only a five minute walk away and it costs 1.3 euros for a single journey. The rooms were comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeanutDotJU
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

We stayed at the hotel Roma in Lisbon in Feb 09 for 4 days the staff were about as friendly as a pit bull terrier , the food also left a lot to be desired and that is no Joke.
Durin our stay we noticed people going to the airport via the Hotel courtesy bus , my wife and I were willing to pay and when we asked about the bus we were told they did not have this service , so on the day of our check sereval people in front of us checked out , as did we , my wife and I then got a taxi , as we were getting out of the taxi to our suprise guess what the Roma hotel Coourtesy bus turned parked next to us and all the people that were checking out got of the bus , Lisbon was very very expensive , the hotel was some 6 miles away form the centre But 1 positive thing it was close to the metro, that is the only postive thing , for a 3 star hotel we found it very disapointing , but very clean.
To sum if you can I would give it a miss and stay near the centre but watch out for pick pockets and thieves it is rife with them, a lady sat next to us in a cafe got her hand bag stolen while we eat dinner. We sqw nothing there are nicer places to visit
I mature couple from Yorkshire.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dobies369
Ballyporeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2008

After a long wait we were checked into the wrong room. They had checked us into a twin room, despite the booking confirmation clearly stating double. No apologies were given, and another very long wait started. Eventually we got the right room type. The room was very spacious, very clean and relatively quiet.

The food at Roma is generally of a good quality. Breakfast is fine, and there is a varied choice. No problems with lunch. We ate an evening meal at the hotel twice, the first time it was superb, the second time just average. There are some nice restaurants nearby so be sure to explore.

My only gripe with the hotel was the reception staff. They were absolutely awful; rude and disinterested. There also seems to be an abundance of managers on duty at any one time, all who appear to be doing very little! The rest of the staff are quite friendly though.

Overall, this was an enjoyable stay. The price is pretty cheap, but that doesn't give certain staff the right to ignore you!

• Liked — Good food, clean room, close to public transport
  • Disliked — Reception staff were terrible
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank peter5000