“Lovely hotel in terrific location”
Review of Jeronimos 8

Jeronimos 8
Ranked #179 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was housed here by the University I was giving a workshop at and was very pleased with the elegant simplicity of the hotel, the service, and the amazing location. My room was ample and opened to a sunny terrace with two lounge chairs and had floor to ceiling glass doors and a rich dark brown and white decor with double bed. The included breakfast buffet had fresh scrambled eggs, excellent coffee and milk, and a variety of fresh cut fruit (watermelon, oranges, honey dew, pine apple), and of course the warm Pasteis de Belem they pick up every morning from the famous bakery around the corner (which were truly amazing--and I don't have a sweet tooth with rich warm custard and pastry that crackles into its many delicate layers). The location was one of the best features. When not working, it was possible to walk over to the Discover's monument, the Torre de Belem, the Jeronimos Monastery right across the street, a stretch of great restaurants (better than the well-reviewed restaurants I went to in the center of Lisbon), as well as quick walk to the tram or bus to get into the center of Lisbon and the train to whisk you to the beaches of Estoril and Cascais. Also as pleasant surprise was that we were a few blocks from the local team's soccer stadium so last night we walked five minutes to see Sporting play the local team. The staff were invariably helpful and warm.

Room Tip: We liked having a room on the back side of the hotel so we had our own terrace. The front has views...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Michele-Myers

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the Jeronimos 8 for three nights and I loved this hotel, as a matter of fact, there are so many things I liked about it I don't know where to begin this review. In a nutshell it has an incredibly friendly and helpful staff, it is in a great location and it offers a full hot breakfast. The rooms are small but modern and very comfortable. I would recommend it and would definitely stay here again. The only things I didn't like about it were the lack a full length mirror, the bathroom floor gets wet when you shower and the free WiFi is unsecured. Minor problems. If you would like more detailed information please continue reading.

In an effort to provide full disclosure It is located in the Belem section of Lisbon right across the street from the Museu de Arqueologia (Archaeology Museum), which is one of the top sites to visit in Lisbon. The name is a bit misleading since it doesn't mention the beautiful church and monastery that are part of the structure, and these are both worth seeing. Also close to the hotel is a Starbucks (for those who can't live without it) and the famous bakery shop, Pastis (or Patis) de Belem. The hotel provides their delicious little custard pastry at breakfast but there are many more options at the crowded bakery itself. Other sites within walking distance of the hotel are the Museum of Modern Art (Warhol, Pollack, Miro and many others), the Tower of Belem, The Maritime Museum, the Museum of Coaches (vehicles, not sports) and the public gardens. The streetcar or bus that can take you to Baixo Chiado is one block away and the ride to the center of the old town is about 10 minutes (the 728 bus is a bit faster than the 15 streetcar).

The staff provides a level of service I would expect at a much more expensive property. We drove from Southern Portugal to Lisbon and arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 a.m. Since we had to return our rental car to the airport we wanted to see if we could check-in early. Fortunately, one of our two rooms was ready so they let us check-in before noon so we could leave our bags. The staff offered great suggestions for restaurants, sites to see, how to use the public transportation system, which transit pass would be best for us, etc. They could not have been nicer or more informative. Their service is what really made the stay here special.

The rooms are modern but small. I had a standard room with an even smaller balcony but it allowed in a lot of light and fresh air. The bed was comfortable with soft linens and nice wall-mounted lights for reading. My friends were in a deluxe room and they had a chair and a closet that was about twice the size of mine. Both rooms came with a desk and mini bar that we were able to store items in and not be charged (unlike my recent stay in a Vegas hotel). There was also a small safe in the closet.

The bathroom was new, modern and large with large absorbent towels. As I mentioned above the floor would get wet when I took a shower because they had a glass enclosure that only covered about 3/4ths of the length of the tub and part of that enclosure was the "door." Water would run down the door and onto the floor because it didn't line up with the tub. I had to dry the floor after every shower. It would have been nice if the vessel sink was a bit smaller to allow for more counter space but at least there was an open shelf under the sink. The bathroom in the deluxe room had about three feet of counter space compared to my four inches. Also, a hook on the wall to hang the hand towel would have been better than using the door knob to hang it on. There was also a full sized tub and enough of a surround that I was able to sit on it and soak my feet after a day of sightseeing.

Finally, a full length mirror would be nice. I mentioned it to the desk clerk when I checked out and he said that others had made the same comment so hopefully they would be added in the future.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a bit larger so two people might find it more comfortable than a standard room, esp...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank OnlyJoe
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I moved over to this hotel from downtown Lisbon because I wanted to be in a neighborhood I could walk easily in and sightsee without too much stress. This hotel fits the bill for that: it is near five museums, multiple monuments, a park, and a row of restaurants, as well as the river where there are some fancy bars with open air patios. The roads near the river are very wide and walkable, good for exercise. The hotel itself is pretty plain but nice, with modern decor in the lobby and friendly staff. It is in a nice old building that has been rehabbed to look modern inside. There is a wine bar with snacks downstairs. All in all a very convenient place to stay if you want to be in Belem.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Veronica S
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel is in a nice quiet location. The staff at the reception desk went out of their way to help and advice us, all in perfect English. Breakfast was great with a wide choice of everything we like for breakfast. Of course the fresh pasteis de Belem were highly appreciated! Also service here was very good. The room is okay although the carpet was stained. The beds were very good, the bathroom a bit small but clean and the shower worked really well. We woke up almost every night by the screaming of the seagulls, as we preferred to sleep with open windows. The outside sitting area looked nicer on the website than it actually was. But all in all a hotel we would certainly book again if we would stay in Lisbon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TWKNL
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here 2 years for work and LOVED this hotel. So much so that I chose to stay here again this visit as a holiday with my husband. However, it was not as good as it was last time.

When we checked in, we were only given 1 room card and had to request a 2nd. The room card stopped working twice, requiring us to return to reception to have it reset.

The man on the front desk told us our room number on arrival, but there was no offer of directions or assistance. Not sure if this is because he knew I was a repeat customer so knew my way around?

The first morning we had an early start, so had breakfast at 7.30 when it opens. Overall a reasonable spread but there was no offer of coffee and none of the famous pastries (which I'd promised my husband). In fact, we didn't see a single staff member. Not sure if this was because we were there early, but it was disappointing. The next morning the pastries made an appearance but seem quite small in number compared to 2 years ago.

We had dinner here once and the food was average at best. My cocktail was returned as it was unpalatable.

In our room, the bed was very hard, the air con didn't ever get cold, just cool, making the room quite stuffy at the end of a 30C day, and was quite hard to sleep comfortably. The cabinet door that hides the mini bar doesn't shut and needs to be propped shut with the chair leg. The completed feedback form from the previous occupant was left behind in the room. We used our glasses for drinks one night and they were left dirty in the room, they weren't changed for fresh ones, so we had to rinse them ourselves to reuse them. The carpet is tired, and is somewhat marked and stained now. We were on the 2nd floor at the end of the corridor which contains 2 sets of short stairs that we had to navigate our suitcases up and down.

I really loved this hotel and wanted it to be as magical as it was last time and I was quite disappointed. Given the cost of the rooms, we did not get value for money and I'm not sure I would return for a 3rd time sadly.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank skyerow
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at Jeronimos 8 for one night after we drove back from Porto. It was perfect for us as we want a slow day before leaving Portugal. The perk is the breakfast where it serves pastel de nata from the famous Antiga Confeitaria de Belem.

The location is off from central Lisbon and cab to city center is around 10 Euro.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alice L
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Jeronimos 8 is a modern European boutique hotel in a quiet residential neighborhood yet close to many great art collections, museums and attractions. The staff are very professional and friendly and they recommended a perfect little place to eat in the evening, the Enoteca de Belem, which we loved!
The hotel have the best breakfast you can wish for, including the famous pasteis de Belem. I particularly enjoyed the diversity and quality of their breads (loved the delicious corn bread), traditional curds and cheeses, and very tasty fresh orange juice and coffee.
Our room had a very nice balcony facing the lime trees that line the street.

We loved our stay here! A very charming place that added to the pleasure of our stay in Lisbon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coralia J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
Hotel Principe Real
SANA Executive Hotel
#113 of 255 in Lisbon
Pestana Palace Lisboa
#40 of 255 in Lisbon

Been to Jeronimos 8? Share your experiences!