“Really, really awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Dehli Darbar - CLOSED

Dehli Darbar
Price range: US$0 - US$13
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodre
London, United Kingdom
“Really, really awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This place looks very inviting, however the service is amongst the worst I've ever received in any restaurant anywhere in the world. I waited more than 90 minutes for my main course to come. I complained multiple times but the waiters didn't seem to care at all. There were other people on tables nearby who looked equally hungry and annoyed. Watching the kitchen I realised food was slow coming out for absolutely everyone. Once arrived the food was pretty bad - perhaps passable for someone who has never tasted Indian food (it could be that Indian recipes have been adapted to suit the Portuguese palate, who knows?) but I've had more authentic tasting Indian food from a jar.

Service was a 0 out of 10. Seriously. Do not go here.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank TRISHJARVIS

UK
“Terrible Service Below-par Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This place looked good and we were hungry. Quickly shown to a table, menus came and food and drinks were ordered and the latter delivered with speed. Then....nothing. We had ordered poppadums, starters and main courses. After an hour of waiting and after our complaint, the starters and poppadums arrived. I've eaten in Indian restaurants all over the world and I've never know poppadums take so long. They are usually ready and waiting in the kitchen and take 30 seconds to make. We feared we would have a further hour wait for the food, but it arrived within 25 more minutes after we had complained again. Complaints which appeared to be quite normal judging by the (non) reaction of the staff.

The main courses ranged from barely acceptable to poor The rice arrived cold and was sent back (we noticed they gave it to a nearby table - after one of our party had stuck their finger in to test!). The Vindaloo was spiceless (someone suggested it tasted like a bottled sauce), the Tarka Daal was inauthentic, the Biryani overly-greasy. The Shashlik was enjoyed.

But worst of all is that we were not the only ones who had to wait for an hour or more. The place was full of bored-looking hungry customers, though the table next to us, who arrived half an hour after us, got theirs before us. Additionally, the restaurant seems to have no problem with customers waiting for a table just milling round inches from diners. This has the feel of a restaurant which has got too big too quickly and cannot cope.

I'd avoid. The quality of food isn't worth the hassle and there are alternatives within a few streets.

• Visited December 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“Average food and slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were a group of 7 people and were seated in a very small place, quite uncomfortable.
We order indian bread and some indian specialties. We had to order the drinks 3 times because the waitress always forgot some and leave when we were still ordering.The bread took 30 min to arrive and was lacking sauce for everybody. The specialities took 1h30 to arrive! Were so small and so expensive. They were lacking flavour, something so odd for indian food.

I would NOT recomend this restaurant. There are a lot of indian restaurants in Lisbon (and of course, in Bairro Alto) that are so much better than this.
The average price is not 10€, but 15€ or more per person.

2 Thank AnaCastanheira
Montana Rose
“Not bad, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a craving for Indian food again and thought we'd give this place a try since it was close to where we were staying and it had some good reviews. We really didn't have high expectations (especially since we knew they served both Indian and Italian dishes, the menu is huge and is in multiple languages, and there is someone outside trying to attract customers) - but hey, we were hoping we'd luck out.

The staff was friendly enough and the atmosphere was nice. Prices are reasonable. We ordered the Garlic naan, the mixed vegetable curry and the chicken tikka marsala. The garlic naan was fine (we've had better, we've had worse), the mixed vegetable curry (was actually pretty good), and the chicken tikka marsala (just ok). The chicken itself was actually very good, it was just that the sauce was too tomatoey…more italian than indian. There seemed to be some repeat customers there (mostly college age). Oh well, maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Seattle, Washington
“Please avoid if you can”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have been to this place on the last day of my stay in Lisbon. I went to a couple of other indian restaurants before and wanted to try a new place. The first bad impression i got was by looking at the waiters who stood outside on the street , inviting people to try this restaurant.

Optimistically , i went inside. I ordered lassi , vegetable pakora and fish jalfrezi. Lassi was too salty , i had to replace it. To my surprise , the vegetable pakora was salty as well.Trust me, I can take more salt than an average person and I felt them salty. I couldn't take it up and wanted to get out asap. I asked the waiter(after waiting for 10 min to find them) if I could cancel the fish jalfrezi and check. They cancelled it but didnt bother to ask if anything was wrong.

Overall ,Terrible Food and service.

PS:Please keep in mind that if you are taking the bus/metro to this restaurant , you need to walk an narrow uphill of 650 meters to reach the place.