“Nice hotel but a bit out of the centre”

Hotel Alif Avenidas
Ranked #74 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 24 April 2013

A friend and I recently returned from a 3 night visit to Lisbon and stayed at the Hotel Alif Avenidas. There are plus and minus points regarding this hotel. On the plus side it is opposite a metro entrance which is on the red line and therefore a direct, quick and easy journey to the airport (make sure you take the exit Av. Duque D'Avila which can be found by searching on the signs on the metro platform - not immediately obvious and are at one end of the platform and not the other) The hotel is also very convenient for the Gulbenkian Museum, the adjacent Modern Art Gallery and the lovely park in which these two are housed. The centre of Lisbon can easily be reached by the metro (about a ten minute journey). The hotel is spotlessly clean, has comfortable beds, a great shower, friendly staff and a wonderful breakfast. On the minus side we asked to change rooms because we had requested a nice view and were initially put at the back of the hotel where the view is non-existent apart from windows and building work. Once we had been moved to the front of the hotel we were much happier and the road wasn't noisy. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room so if you like to make a morning cuppa then take your own kettle. If you like a hotel where you can walk out of the front door and be surrounded by choices of restaurants and be in the centre of activity then this is not the one for you (although as previously mentioned these things can be found by a 10 minute metro journey) One last point is that the hotel does not sell alcohol. We had a nice stay and would possibly stay at this hotel again due to its proximity to the metro although I personally prefer to be a little more in the centre of things.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RosieLee1

Reviewed 14 April 2013

In March 2013, I spent 8 nights in Lisbon at the Hotel Alif Avenidas. As previously mentioned, the hotel location is excellent: just across the last stop of the Red Line metro - Sao Sebastiao (exit Av. Duque D'Avila), in a quiet and safe residential area and close to the Gulbenkian Foundation Museum which is a very short walk away.
It rained almost every day during my stay in Lisbon but from the first time I entered the hotel lobby till the last minutes of my stay there, the warmth and friendliness of the reception staff - always professional, with a smile on their face, ready to help and to give advice, to share a laugh with me - made up for the less pleasant weather!
My room as well as the public spaces were spotless, very modern and... did I mention spotless? The room was very quiet, it had a safe box and also a small refrigerator, the bed mattress was firm but very comfortable and the WiFi was complimentary. I chose not have breakfast in the hotel and, instead, I had my cup of coffee and pastry in the small cafe across the hotel - very good value!
I strongly recommend this hotel and I am sure I will be their guest again. Thank You for everything!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lumi2414
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We have recently returned from a five night stay in this hotel, and we couldn't be more pleased with our choice. As others have said, the location is brilliant as it is across the road from the metro stop which means that anywhere in the city is easily accessible. The rooms and common areas are absolutely spotless and very modern. The room itself was a good size with a great rain shower in the bathroom. What really made our stay was the friendliness of the staff without exception. The door and reception staff were great. Most of our dealings were with Ipteaz (not sure of spelling!), Fernando, Milan and Marceo and they couldn't do enough to help. There is a small bar where we often stopped for a nightcap, and the barman, Orlando, was great. Always so friendly. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, so I can't comment on that. The only thing I could criticise is that the Wi Fi is not free. Not a major issue but it would have been useful. All in all I would strongly recommend this hotel for a city break.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmkScotland
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Typical city business hotel (which is better than most that you'll find in the UK) and is also good for people on Holiday. The rooms are clean, if on the small side. Breakfast is good. Staff are freindly. It is not in downtown Lisbon, but this is probably better as it is away from the noise and dirt. The hotel is right opposite a metro station, and it is only 5 minutes from the centre of town. There are lots of resteraunts and bars around, and it is only a 10 minute walk from the Gulbenkian and El Cortes Ingles. If pushed, you can walk to the centre of town in under 30 minutes. Worthwhile considering for your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I was expecting an average hotel for the price, but surprise... it was totally renewed. The room decoration was modern and clean, and what is best .... no carpets. It is located a block from the Sao Sebastiao metro station (end of the Ariport Red line) and in a walking distance to Fundação Gulbenkian, Saldanha mall and El Corte Ingles. The surroundings are clean and safe.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The hotel is convenient to reach from the airport by metro. One end of the red line is at the airport and the other end is at San Sebastio. If you exit from the Avenida Duque D Avila exit you are just a hop, step and half a jump away from the hotel.
The staff are courteous, the rooms are clean , the location is convenient and the price was value for money. However there is no view from the rooms at all and the hotel is just a clean , comfortable place to sleep

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2013

To be honest, I would give this hotel a 4/5 rating but they deserve to keep this ranking, I work in the industry and I know what it means.
Me and my boyfriend planned to spend 8 days in Portugal and 5 of these in Lisbon, where we were looking for a good but reasonable priced hotel, thankfully we found the Alif Avenidas in a hotel comparison site and it looked like the perfect place!
First day when we arrived we took the taxi from the departure level in Lisbon Airport, where we've heard they don't try to rip you off, Alif is like 6 km away and it didn't look like a big deal, told the taxi driver the street, hotel name, everything sounds ok...except that we realise that after 10 minutes the taxi driver is literally circling surrounding the area where the hotel is supposed to be. After like 3 turns around, the consecutive increase of fare and confusion in our driver's mind, I barely remember the former name of the hotel and I mumble a "Dom Manuel", luckily he gets more enthusiastic and brings us to target, make us pay every cent, but not before giving us the blame of telling him the wrong hotel name (Alif Avenidas), so I heartily suggest hotel staff to inform guests arriving by taxi about the previous name this place had.
As soon as we get off from the taxi, we are greeted by a nice guy at the door that helps us with the bags. We check-in and we're brought to the room, that is pretty large, bright and nicely decorated, bathroom has tub and we like it overall. Reception staff (all males) is helpful throughout our stay and also gave us directions to sights. We really spent 5 pleasant days at this hotel and would recommend to all.
Pros: hotel is new and well maintained; cleanliness of the room; close to metro stop; friendly staff; italian channels on tv; spacious room; we have not encountered problems with soundproofing; amazing price; gave us complimentary chocolates and bottled water upon arrival.
Cons: mattresses on the hard side and funny pillows, for this reason my boyfriend had backache 5 days and barely slept, for as I'm concerned I was tossing and turning but couldn't find comfort; charges for wi-fi and breakfast (most hotels in Italy of any category give them for free); no space to put toiletries in the bathroom except for the base of the sink where inevitably all got wet; our room was overlooking courtyards and rear of buildings.

As already mentioned in the title, however, a good compromise between quality and price, should we ever return to Lisbon, we would stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple