“Nice business hotel in quite area a bit out of the old center” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Alif Avenidas

Hotel Alif Avenidas
Ranked #62 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Kiev, Ukraine
“Nice business hotel in quite area a bit out of the old center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Good value for the price you pay if staying in the very center is not your first requirement.
Quiet and clean street, especially in comparison with old center. All area is very safe. Big shopping mall El Corte Ingles is just in few blocks. Here location is very convenient if you're using metro- the station (St.Sebastio) is right at the hotel entrance for two lines - about 15 mibutes to the aiport and only few stations to the center.
Modern clean rooms with comfortable bed and pillows. Nice design of bathroom.
Attentive staff.
Breakfast is not bad. It was really nice to sea good coffee machine but coffee itself is not good. Variety of fruits for breakfast is even impressive and all fruits are really fresh and tasty.
Actually it's a standard business hotel - nothing special but nothing bad to mention.

2 Thank GalaMak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We really enjoyed staying in this Hotel. The guys at the front desk is so helpful and very polite and they all speak very good English. Ask them to call you a taxi from the taxi stand they know. Rooms are big enough, bathroom is OK. We had our breakfast in the cafes on the other side of the road in front of the Hotel ( Avenida Duque D'Avila )(take the one on the right or walk 50 meters to the right and have a very nice breakfast at the Cafe Nicola.) (never the one on the left when you come out of the door). They all have very nice coffee (espresso or cafe com leite - with milk). Metro station Sao Sabestiao and Gulbenkian Museum is very close.

Ask taxi drivers to turn on the taxi meter for fare. From airport to the hotel is app. 10 euros.
Generally taxi is cheap in Lisbon, especially when you are 4 person travelling. We took taxi at least 10 times and only 1 was a cheating type. It was 9 PM, at the Rossio Square, he did not turn on the meter, and when we asked, he said 10 euros, but we insisted and managed to have the meter on. We warned him when he passed our route to our hotel. Finally when we reached the hotel the fare was not still 10 EUros (8.70) and we paid him Euros 6 because that was what we had been paying previous nights. He couldn't say anything when we said that we will complain and which we did afterwards. (Next day to the tourism bureau located very near to Restauradores Metro Station.

1 Thank dmrbay
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful. I don't understand how there can be any negative reviews. We were booked for 3 nights but extended to 5 because of the wonderful everything. Don't pass it up.

HOTEL LOOK/DESIGN
Very cool, sleek, modern design (renovated 2-3 yrs ago).
The rooms are a nice size, everything new, tiled bathroom, laminate wood floors in other area, mini fridge, tv in English, glass shower with rain head and hand wand as well as what I think is an emergency pull cord.

NOISE LEVEL
We were in room 207 at the end of the hall so we had zero elevator or people noise. We didn't have a great view from our particular room, but if I want a view I go walking to see things. Out our window was other buildings so we didn't have any street noise. The hotel is on a quiet street so I don't think street noise would be an issue.

CLEANLINESS
The front staff and cleaning staff are excellent. I'm a messy person and yet they clean wonderfully after me. They are always wiping chairs, the chrome rails around the columns, elevator doors, counters, etc. I don't think I could find dirt if I wanted to.

STAFF
The staff are helpful and friendly. Always standing around to help (I don't think they ever sit). If you need directions, to borrow a bottle opener, deodorizing spray for a stinky suitcase you bought, recommendations, or what ever you may need they offer assistance. One day I went to sit in the retro lounge area before it opens at 5:00. It was a little dark because there was only natural light at this time. A hotel staff came in (I thought to ask me to leave) to turn on lights & tv for me. I don't know the other staffs name but it's the same 4-6 people I see over and over. All were great! But The real HIGHLIGHT is the BARTENTER, ORLANDO. He is very personable, friendly & welcoming. He has great knowledge of the city and gives you his attention. His English is superb. His pride and attention to detail in his work are to be commended and applauded. He too never sits and constantly keeps busy cleaning, organizing, serving, etc. Our last night we choose to stay in the hotel and eat food that he prepared for us. This man is a star. His food was delicious, the marinade sauce was the best I ever had, the presentation was spectacular. Orlando drew maps for us, pictures of fish that are good to eat, made calls to get answers to questions we had if he did not know the answer. Orlando starts work at 5pm. Go see him and tell him the Canadians say hello.

LOCATION
The location is terrific.
It's in an affordable area. Very close to El Corte Ingles (supermarket & department store), metro station directly across the street. Close to a park on a hill top where we had a picnic. It's a very short ride to the over priced touristy down town. Do not pass this hotel up. There is an outdoor market with inexpensive prices about a 5+ min. walk from Alif. There is an outdoor patio bar on the corner with .75 euro for a beer. Caipirinha drink for $3 euro. One place down town charged me $7.50 for Caipirinha of equal size. The longest metro ride is the one to the airport at about 15-20 mins, maybe even shorter. To down town must be 10 mins or less.

NEGATIVES
I had to think hard about this because the place is spectacular.
Only slight (very minor) problem is our free wifi cut in & out during busy times but not much of a problem because in the lobby it always stayed connected. I did check out another near by hotel that was renovated as well (Zenit) and Alif is much nicer from what I could see.

We are very glad to have shared our time with the Alif people.

Stayed March 2014
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Positives: Friendly, helpful staff; hotel staff give even more info and have better attitude than the employees in the tourist info offices and bus depots in Albufeira and Lisbon; clean modern rooms with very comfy beds; very well located to subway line and restaurants; on Duque de Avila that is one-way and has an excellent bike path; 10 minutes walk from Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church with several mass services; near 2 well known museums; walking distance to El Corte Ingles dept. store; subway line to airport nearby; or can take Aerobus from airport where the drop-off is about 15 minutes walk away; street is quiet and calming at night.

Negatives: rooms are small and sometimes you can hear other guests showering in the upper floors; no coffee machine.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel!! We will certainly go back ourselves.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lena5209
dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Great location for sightseeing. Metro station is very close, hop on-hop off bus station is close also. Couple of cafés in the vicinity so no need to pay for the hotel breakfast.
The lobby staff was very well informed of tourist information. Filled us in on a lot of what was happening within the city and what to go see.
A different staff though was not as nice. He promised to let us know of the train timetable from Lisbon to Porto and he didn't get back to us.

ASHFORD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

A great value for the money: luxury rooms, near the center, conveniently located at walking distance from underground. We stay here for 9 days. Really a great hotel, service and rooms really up, cleaning is on the first place. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Rooms on Front.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Badajoz, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

LOCATION: Really really good. The metro station (Sao Sebastiao) is in front of the hotel, and this line takes you directly to the airport. On the other hand, not far to the downtown by metro, as well.

STAFF: They were friendly at any moment, although after I checked in, I felt quite unconfortable as a guy from the Hotel insisted on carrying on my luggage (in fact it was a really small suitcase)...I didn't want it since I knew I would have to give him some tips..but its ok...I really recommend to the staff (in case they are reading this opinion) not to insist...

BREAKFAST: It was good, good variety. My recommendation is (in case you can have breakfast after 8am) to try to have breakfast in a coffe shop that is next to the Hotel. I am pretty sure you can save money. Honestly I couldnt try it as I had to leave the hotel earlier than 8am, but I would recommend to try the coffe shop (just to check prize and quality).

ROOM: It was really clean. Absolutely no noise. Everything looked really new. Bed confortable...BUT...pillows were really UNCONFORTABLE...they were TOO soft. Honestly: really unconfortable.

BATHROOM: It was really clean.

INTERNET: It was FREE. I have already read you have to pay if you want to use internet. I must say that I didnt have to pay. I was asked the number of devices, in my case it was 3 devices (2 cell phones and 1 laptop) and I was given 3 pieces of paper with the 3 different wifi users and passwords. This papers contained the information that 10 euros have to be paid in order to use the internet, but this information was crossed out with a pen. I guess they have changed their policy

CONCLUSIONS: Really good location. Confortable bed. Really unconfortable pillows. Really clean, no noise at all. Good variety of breakfast. Nice staff with the "but".

Its a good hotel. I am giving 4 stars because there are some points to change in my opinion, although their internet policy change lets me think that they take into account the guests opinions and therefore it can be a place I will go again in a future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple