“Clean, simple and extremely friendly and helpful”

Pensao Residencial Camoes
Ranked #110 of 445 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
los angeles
“Clean, simple and extremely friendly and helpful”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

My mother and I originally intended to stay at this place only for the first two nights after arriving in Portugal and then to move on but we liked it so much that we ended up using it as a home base. It was simple and very clean; we had one of the back rooms which was quiet. We paid 35 Euros for a double room with bath and the women cleaned it out very thoroughly during the day. We were traveling with my infant daughter and they spoiled her and made all sorts of special accomodations for her. They were extremely helpful--making phone calls on our behalf, helping us with train schedules, etc. In fact one night we messed up our schedule and when they were booked they helped us find another place to stay for the night. It is also in a great location in the old part of town--central to most everything, shops, restaurants, metro, train station, farmer's market, the river. If you like simple (i.e. there aren't TVs in the bedroom or pictures on the walls) and clean, this is the place for you.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank travelingmadre

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2008

I stayed at Pensao Residencial Camoes in May 2008 for 3 nights mid -week. Its location is fantastic, an easy walk to Fado bars, retaurants and trams into central Lisbon. As a single female traveller, I had no issues with walking around at night and felt safe in the area. The area (and hotel building) has loads of graffitti, but this seems to be standard for Lisbon.

The accommodation is of a very basic standard, and is rather shabby, however the rooms are kept very clean. The shared bathrooms are more recently refurbished and also kept very clean.

The breakfast is the European standard of breadrolls, jam, cheese, cornflake cereal, and coffee, hot chocolate and tea.

Most days there was someone who speaks some English at the reception which was very helpful, they were happy to give advice on restaurants and directions.

The biggest issue is one that has already been mentioned - it is a terribly noisy area, and there is very loud street noise from the local bars, even midweek right up until 4.30 or even 5am. I was not there on a weekend but imagine it would be incredibly noisy. As recommended in previous posts - I took earplugs so was able to sleep fine!! The only other negative I can identify is my room door lock was in poor condition, it stuck easily and did not look very secure, I would imagine a kick would probably break it open. They also didn't provide a towel, fortunatly I took my own.

Overall, it is a great option for the budget traveller, it is clean, central and good value for money!

• Liked — Loacation!
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank anchel79
Padua, Italy
Reviewed 7 January 2008

old building, just as the "real" lisbon, but helpful and friendly staff. right in the barrio alto, good for understanding the typical lisbon lifestyle. you can't think to find a luxury hotel, but it's clean and valuable. close the windows in the weekends, the noise from the street could drive you crazy! i'll come back next time in portugal

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank tlessio
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 23 October 2004

I stayed there for four nights in mid-October 2004 paying an extremely low price for a single room with a bath in the corridor. The people at the reception were nice. In the morning only Portuguese-speaking folks were around. The room was modest, but I had my own balcony overlooking a typical street, and everything - including the bathrooms - was kept extremely clean. The only irritating aspect was noise coming from the street - a pedestrian zone, but lively, and in summer - I suspect - even more. But primarily a very affordable and OK place, not so far from the Rossio.
A nice selection of restaurants in the area as well.
Recommended for budget travellers.

• Stayed October 2004
9 Thank joen.dk
Reviewed 27 February 2004

The building has seen better days, but we were well received. Good value for money

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2003

I was very well received at this hostal. Staff was not overtly friendly but very helpful. I had a nice (albeit small) single room for 18 euros, which was a nice change from the dorms I was used to. There is a TV lounge which is good to chill out. Also, this hostal is located in the heart of the party district. Watch the crowds literally invade the streets from your balcony as midnight rolls in. I recommend it without a doubt. They take reservations.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 August 2003

I've just been horrible recieved at this "Pensão Residencial Camões".
Its the last place I would return in Lisbon.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member