“Tried again”

TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel
Ranked #109 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 31 July 2014

It was 4 years ago that I stayed at The Tryp Oriente Lisboa and to be honest I was not happy with the staff or the breakfast at that time. I tried again this summer because the location is wonderful. I am so happy that I did! The front desk was extremely nice and helpful. The breakfast was much improved. The rooms are very clean, the bathroom is roomy and they actually have a mini-bar!!! Very few hotels have mini-bars anymore. Beds are very comfortable. I was on the top floor facing the train station. I will say that I could hear a faint rumble at night of the train passing but not loud at all. Black out curtains are great. Free wifi. There are two elevators which are very fast for Portugal. Never had to wait long. Across the street is the Old Expo. So you have many restaurants, bars, and a high end Mall with very nice shops. All of this is on the water. It is a 15 minute ride from the airport and the price of a taxi is anywhere from 8 to 9 Euro, but the Tryp pays for your trip to the airport! The bar has a nice snack menu. I have tried so many hotels in Lisbon over the years but I am so happy that I came back to the Tryp Oriente. I will return next year for sure..

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel so you can see the Expo and the water.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Tryp Oriente L, Manager at TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Sir,

We are delighted to have been chosen, so that you could live the city to the fullest on your visit.

These comments encourage us to continue carrying out our daily work and provide our passionate travelers visiting the city, unforgettable experiences.

Hope to see you again in our TRYP in Lisbon.

Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We used this hotel to spend the night before our flight back to the USA. It was very good! The beds were big with nice bedding and the bathroom was very big and roomy with all the standard accouterments. The lobby was large and inviting and the check in and check out was very quick and easy. We ate at the hotel since we were already exhausted from our trip. The food was good and we were pleased with the selections. I had a typical Portuguese dish of cod casserole with linguica and kale -- very delicious flavor. After we had our meal and were refreshed, we went to check out the neighborhood. It was a shopping mecca! The mall was down the street-just a five minute walk away. The train depot was next to the hotel--there wasn't much noise either. The only glich or complaint that I have is that the shower glass is not long enough to keep the water from getting on the floor. I don't know how others take a shower but I like the water to fall straight and since the water was getting on the floor, I had to turn the shower-head to the right side -- it wasn't that big of a deal but something to note. The hotel hires taxis to take you to the airport--which was very convenient. I liked that part. We didn't have to wait on others to get off -- it was very personalized. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor and that helped with the noise of the trains and the cars. I think a high...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tryp Oriente L, Manager at TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hello!

I would like to start off thanking you for your nice words! We really like to take advantage of these opportunities to greet you once again and thank you for keeping counting on us!

Your comment was already passed on to our team.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel is very well located, 2 minutes walk from the main train station in Lisbon - Oriente - and the metro. It has a direct metro line to the airport, which is very close by. This is one of the best areas in Lisbon and there are plenty of restaurants in the area. The room was very good and it has free WiFi. The breakfast was expensive and we preferred to have it outside. The only minor thing was the fact that it has a very small iron board, not an option if you need to iron your shirts for your meetings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tryp Oriente L, Manager at TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Sirs

I invite you to come to our breakfast and see how wonderful it is.

Thank you very much for your comment on behalf of TRYP Lisboa Team.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let's get down to the core of it - it's not going to blow your socks off. That's ok, I like (most) of my socks and you don't always want something super snazzy.

What you'll get is a place that is 'fine' for business - a nice place to get down to your boxers, have a shower and play candy crush in bed. Nothing special here. The location is very business focussed, so you could stay for that, but you'll need to take a metro or train to get into the centre. No hassle really but worth pointing out.

There is a mall in the area, pretty much an identical copy of one you'll have back home. The river is quite nice but, again, very modern and not quite the quaint Lisbon you might be thinking off.

The rooms are a bit standard but clean. No probs there. Bit on the hot side actually.

However.... Whichever reviewer said that the breakfast was great has obviously never eaten breakfast before. Fruit straight out of a tin, service poor and the coffee a bit like the dredges of my grans bedpan. Not worth paying your, your bosses or your husbands cash on. Go to a nice little cafe to the left of the entrance. Much better.

All in all though, the fiat panda of hotels. It will get you there in one piece but you're not going to win any attractive ladies with it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank toronado123
Tryp Oriente L, Manager at TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Sir

We are sorry to know that we did not fulfilled your special request and we understand your discomfort.

Hope to see you next time in one of our TRYP Hotels in Lisbon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for three night during which my partner was attending a conference near to the airport, and I was let loose to explore Lisbon for three days.

We checked in fairly late (about 10.00pm). The hotel is a two minute walk from the Oriente Metro/train station and about a five minute hop in a taxi from the airport (about 5 euros and if you want to take a taxi be aware there is often quite a queue at the airport for a taxi).

On check in, we were given a room on the seventh floor which on first appearance seemed wonderful. However, after being in the room for a while, we found the toilet was constantly filling, and when we tried to flush, to solve the problem, the handle fell off the toilet! On informing reception of this, we were told they knew about this problem but thought it had been solved and would 'endeavour' to find as a new room, but that the hotel was quite full that night. I would not have stayed in that room if it had not been changed, as it would have been insanitary (no way to flush the toilet) and my review would have been quite different. I was a little shocked that reception even contemplated renting a room in which the toilet did not work, however we did get a new room very quickly.

Both rooms were VERY spacious, very clean and on the higher floor, not overlooked which meant you could make the most of the large floor to ceiling windows without feeling your privacy was compromised. Good sized fridge/mini bar in the room with a complimentary bottle of water.

There was also free Wifi, iron and ironing board, safe and a great wide screen TV with a lot of free TV channels in a variety of languages.

I wasn't a massive fan of breakfast, but my partner enjoyed his and there was a lot of choice.

The staff were very accommodating regarding booking a lot of taxis for our party.

The hotel is also directly opposite the 1998 Expo site which includes a large shopping centre, cable car along the seafront with great views, restaurants and very close to the Oceanarium. A good half day to day can be spent exploring the local area. The metro gives great links to Lisbon and the plethora of different attractions that that can offer. Centre of Lisbon is about 30 mins on the metro (1.50 euros each way) and is about 10 euros in a taxi.

I would definitely stay again if needing a hotel in this area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank louisebielby
Tryp Oriente L, Manager at TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hello!

On behalf of all the TRYP Team thank you very much.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Tryp Oriente is great hotel located close to the Tejo river, Expo area and right next to the Oriente Metro/Railway bus station. Great service, very polite staff, good breakfast, close to shopping center Vasco DG. Lots of bars, restaurants in the area as well. Would gladly come back again. The only problem I had in it was the magnetic key card sometimes, but other than that .. no problem.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from TRYP Lisboa Oriente

We hope you visit us again soon, to be able to live the city to the fullest with your family and/or friends.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

A great hotel for a last night in Lisbon (before an early flight). Friendly desk - somehow, we were upgraded to a wonderful room (719) with a Tejo view. A large, clean room with a bathtub etc. A good bar, too.
Close to the Oriente metro/railway/bus station, the aquarium, the Tejo river, and an inexpensive taxi ride to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple