“Satisfactory and did the job !!!”

Albergaria Insulana
Ranked #175 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
Valletta, Malta
“Satisfactory and did the job !!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

Was there for two nights. 20 minutes by Taxi from airport, depending on traffic. Did not know what to expect after all the mixed reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe because I went with the mentality that I will not find anything special.

Room was adequate. Not to small and not to big. Toilet was a bit awkward as it was in a seperate room from shower and sink. Toilet room was so small that my feet couldnt fit in the room between the facing wall and the toilet when I sat down on it. Strong water pressure and towels are changed daily. TIP: take shower gel as its not offered. Only those small useless soaps on the sink.

Air conditioning was great and bed was really comfortable. Big wardrobe and alot of shelves. Furniture was old style and I particularly liked that. Small TV but I didnt put it on once for the simple reason that when I was in the room I unplugged the TV to charge my electronics. Only that plug waa available in the room.

Wi-fi was available. And it connected properly - maybe because I was one floor up from reception. Others have had problems.

Breakfast was, as mentioned in a previous review, a bit lacking but I didnt mind it. Two bread rolls, one jam, one butter and a pot of tea (no milk) all served in the bar area which is a bit uncomfortable.

Cannot get better than this on location. In the centre of shops and restaurants and close by the train station.

Above all, for the price, I'd stay again and I recommend if you are not the fussy type. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dedu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

I had a pleasant stay in the hotel. It was adequate but not much more than that to be honest. I don't mind old fashioned style, in fact I quite like it which is why I booked. However, I think there are certainly some aspects of this hotel that need updating. Breakfast is one of them. It is very basic and I think just a little more choice would be welcome by most guests. My room was ok, had a big patio style window that overlooked the street. Lucky for me I got a twin room even though I was travelling alone. The TV was old - very old, not a problem either but the problem was that of the channels you could get, the picture quality was rubbish due to a bad signal(?). Room was clean enough though, towels changed every day. Location was of course very good and there are some excellent restaurants near by and a Pingo Doce (supermarket) close by too, should you need it. I would go back though but I would look very hard to find something else first. As a regular traveller to Lisbon I know there are plenty of hotels I could have got for a similair price. One thing I would say without a doubt is that the reception staff are FANTASTIC. If they can help, they do!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

This hotel's main advantage is it's location : Near all the busy and exciting central Baixa streets and near the main Rossio and Restauradores metro / bus / train stations. It's so easy to get anywhere in Lisboa from this place.

The hotel room was clean (and this is the most important aspect for me) but needed some renovation / decoration. These are old 70’s rooms that won't impress anyone. But if you intend to spend all of your time outside, it doesn't really matter.

The service was helpful, in Portuguese, English and sometimes French.

Wi-Fi Internet access was available, but the connection was very poor.

I didn't have a lot of time to select an hotel in Lisboa and I picked the Albergaria Insulana. I wasn't exactly disappointed, but Im sure there are better deals around the same neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PlateauEastsider
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

This was our first hotel in Lisbon, so we had no frame of reference. The staff was polite, but not friendly or very helpful. The room was OK. The breakfast was dry rolls with coffee. Period. After seeing the treats in the pastellarias and what other hotels offered for breakfast, I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Location, location...but not much else to commend.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gwandsh
Busto Arsizio, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

We've been there for a week in summer; even if at the first sight the hotel seemed a little shabby, it turned out to be clean and well handled. The staff was friendly and helpful for any question and the breakfast was very good in quantity and in quality. The forniture of the room was old style but clean and in order, and the bathroom also. The hotel is located in the city center, near two underground stations and bus stops too. Therefore it was very easy reaching the many attractions of the city and of the neighborhood. We think it's a very nice place with a good service and quality for a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CrisSte
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Ideal location at the centre of Baixa/Rossio, convenient for all parts of the city. The staff were great through the entire stay. As a budget option I would certainly reccomend it, sure the breakfast isn't the most sophisticated but it is satisfactory.

The decor isn't all new, but that is part of the charm. I would much prefer to stay here again than in a faceless cream coloured box.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

This hotel was really bad. The bed was shorter than I am and the ancient mattress was about 4 inches thick. There was no hot water in the mornings.

The breakfast consisted of 2 rolls, one sweetish one and another that could not be eaten. We only had the breakfast once as the milk jug we were given had what appeared to be a bogey on the spout.

The reception is on the second floor and is reached by a lift. The lift has no internal door so you should stand as far back as possible to avoid getting caught between the lift and the shaft. Unfortunately this is difficult as the lift is tiny.

We booked through Lisbon30 and found that we could have got a cheaper price from the hotel directly.

On the plus side the location really is fantastic and the rooms are clean although the considerable age of the furniture means that there is always a musty smell, especially as smoking is permitted in the rooms.

There is a bar, which doubles as the breakfast room, it is most uncomfortable.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Furet_Rouge

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels