“Basic hotel with great location”
Review of Pensao Londres

Pensao Londres
Ranked #157 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This was a basic hotel in a great location. We were able to walk to all the major sites. The hotel is limited to the basics but it was fine as we only get in to go to bed. Lisbon is so beautiful, we were always out and about. Breakfast was limited to bread, cheese and drinks. For the price of the hotel, we have no major complaints.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank S A

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was a nice hotel in a fairly good location. The staff were excellent and really friendly and helpful. The. Breakfast was very nice. The walls were quite thin between rooms, and some noise could be heard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lara1_8
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It is not a four star hotel but depending on the price & it's location we would definitely recommend Pensao Londres and also go there again. It is very close to Bairro Alto with lots of Bars and Restaurants.

Room Tip: We have had a room without shower but it seemed that we were the only ones using the shower/bathroom...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but it is definitely worth the price for a good place to stay! The guesthouse is in an excellent location to metro, plazas, shopping, and cafes with a great view right across the road and also from my room's window. I stayed 3 nights in a single room with shared bathroom and never had any issues having to wait on the restroom. Guesthouse is old fashioned, decorated in a unique manner, and clean. The breakfast was only par with bread, cereal, and drinks. It was hard to find the place as the bronze sign beside the door is easily missed.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Jenxit
Reviewed 14 May 2014

good location and price, I can understand the good reviews recieved though they set my expectations high.... going by the photos our room was very small,the 2nd floor is noisy because the reception and breakfast room are there and the old bedroom doors dont keep the noise out,street facing rooms are also noisy with window open.showers are not wall mounted and beds have sheets and blankets instead of duvet.

Room Tip: I wouldnt want to stay on the 2nd floor again,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Pensao Londres Review

I'd really give this place 4,5 stars if I could but since I can't I've rounded it up to a 5; aside from some minor annoyances I was very pleased with it overall!

Background: I was heading back to the states after visiting friends in Spain for Spring break, and needed to stay in Lisbon for a night due to a layover.

HOW TO GET THERE:
I had a bit of trouble figuring this out but it turned out to be surprisingly simple and cheap. You take the red line of the metro from the airport to the last stop, S. Sebastiao, and then switch to the blue line from there and go to the Restauradores stop. Once you get off there you go to Calçada de Gloria, which branches off from the plaza de Restauradores square that you end up at once you get out from the metro, and take the funicular up to Bairro Alto. The funicular ticket is 3,6 euros if you buy it on board but you can use your Viagem metro/transportation card that you bought for the metro to pay for the ride, which will cost 1,4 euros. Thus I highly recommend buying multiple tickets on your Viagem card when you first purchase it! After the funicular you go to the right (side note: there's a mirador/viewpoint on your way to the hotel that gives you a panoramic view of Lisbon, definitely stop by!) and follow the street until you see the hotel to your left. Bring a map with you (obviously)!

Check-in/Reception service:
I checked in at about 10pm, and the concierge was a very nice and helpful grey-haired man whose English was pretty good. He gave me information about the nearest tabacs, ATMs etc. when I asked about it and also came down and helped me with opening the door (more on that later.) When I checked out the next morning the concierge was a different grey-haired man named Jose who was equally nice and equally able in English. The staff servicing the breakfast tables were friendly and smily as well- maybe I just came on a good day but I didn't find any cold-mannered staff like the other reviewers.

The room:
I had some annoyances regarding the room but was still pleased with it overall. I had a room with a private bathroom on the 1st floor, which had a small balcony looking out to the street and also to the city (the city view would definitely be nicer on the higher floors.) There were two twin beds in the room and- this was my favorite part- a nice simple chandelier hanging from a beautifully decorated ceiling. The bathroom was clean and modern though, with no visible stains, cracks or marks. It was a little small, but that's relatively common in old European buildings anyways so I didn't mind. However, the door was very very hard to open- after attempting to unlock it for 5 minutes I had the concierge come and help me. He said that it was a common problem, and although it wasn't as difficult to unlock the door subsequently, I still had to fumble around for a while before getting it to open. Another annoyance was that the wifi was very spotty in the room, with the signal sometimes suddenly disappearing only to come back again after a few minutes. The signal gets stronger the closer you are to the reception (on the 2nd floor), so when the signal went out I had to go out of my room to get the signal back. These issues were, at least for me personally, pretty minor though.

Breakfast:
The breakfast selection was okay. They had a few juices, toast, cereal, coffee, jam and butter, and the staff brought out fresh croissants with a platter of ham and cheese per table. It was standard, nothing too terrible or spectacular. However the breakfast room was well decorated, with beautiful table arrangements and a blue and orange color scheme. I personally really value how nicely a hotel is decorated and how it looks, so this probably made the breakfast a nicer experience than it otherwise would have been considering the food they served.

Summary:
As someone who really cares about the appearance and interior decorations of a hotel, I found this place to be a beautiful place to stay with a vintage charm, especially considering that I only paid €45 for my room. That's cheap enough for one person but the room fit two, so if you're a couple it'll be even cheaper. I don't usually like to stay in cheap hotels or hostels because I find them to be ugly and inconvenient, but this place was pretty, had good service and was located in a very charming area of Lisbon. The Bairro Alto neighborhood has a lot of small restaurants and bars along the narrow cobble-lined streets and is filled with vibrant locals at night. It doesn't feel 'touristy' and the views of the city from here are amazing. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank missglobetrotter037
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked online. Pleasantly surprised by an old building with 12 foot ceilings and chandelier. Very friendly family operation including occasional impromptu Portuguese lessons. Our well-appointed room had four beds, a brand new bathroom and a great view of the harbour and "the Statue". Located in Barro Alto there is a small park s/e of the hotel that overlooks downtown Lisbon. Adjacent to the park is the Calcada de Gloria, a small cable car (similar to San Fran) that negotiates a very steep but short hill leading down to Rossio Square and train Station. Lots of nice restaurants within five minutes walk. A small store a few doors away even has cold beer late into the night in case you need a nightcap! Nice breakfasts with fresh juices, breads, cheeses and cold meat.
When we couldn't find a hotel for the Porto leg of our trip, our hosts used family connections to set us up with a wonderful spot in Porto, Hotel Americano.
A wonderful introduction to Portugal! Obrigado!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple