“good location + breakfast = convenience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pensao Londres

Pensao Londres
Ranked #136 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
nyc
“good location + breakfast = convenience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

Being a family of 4 we had the good fortune of getting a spacious room with high ceilings, 3 balconies and an en suite bathroom with an actual door (as opposed to other smaller rooms). The room was clean, though I confess to have spotted a couple of "small friends" waiting in the bathroom. The only unpleasant moment was getting billed 29 euros for internet (at 3 euros per hour) even though we could only account for 3 hours of use. Otherwise, the breakfast service was efficient, courteous and the staff was eager to help with planning.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank frugaltravelista

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

I went to lisbon from holand by train (traveled alone) it was a bit hard to reach te hotel by bus (had to climb a very high street) but when I arrived it was perfect. Very nice lady at the reception, good english, and my room was beatyfull! Very small, but a big bed, and the view was perfect! I had the sunset right at my window. The area is save (I was a girl traveling alone, so I am the evidence) there are some guys hanging around in barrio alto, but I didn't had any problems with them.
I stayed for 4 nights and I was sad to leave.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank schinanuttert
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

- Really good location. Bars and restaurants just down the road.
- Spotless room.
- Strange bathroom. Weak handheld shower, but clean :)
- Friendly staff.
- Amazing value for money. We paid 60 euros a night.
- Breakfast ok. There is a great bakery just on the corner of the hotel.
- Internet available on one computer in the breakfastroom. They should invest in WI-FI.

Go there!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChrisBros
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

Do not expect anything romantic, but it is a practical accomodation just in the heart of Barrio Alto, where there are many cafès, restaurants, bars etc. The rooms are clean and sometimes have besides to the ensuite shower and sink, also the toilet. Nothing fancy, on the other hand quite artificial (not a proper bathroom).
The downside is the noise of all the people going to bed later that you, so it is not a very relaxing sleep if you're really tired.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

I stayed at the Pensao Londres for a week and I was extremely disappointed after reading all these great reviews. Firstly, I too was promised an early check-in but upon arrival I was told that check-out was at noon and my room was still occupied so I would have to wait until after 2pm. I was not told in my email correspondence about the noon check-out time and that my request for early check-in was not guaranteed. But they did, however, accommodate our bags and provide towels so we could at least shower and change even though all we wanted to do was sleep.

The room itself was larger than expected but the double bed was tiny. We were on the 4th floor and had an amazing view over the city. But the noise from the street is absolutely horrible and it lasts until 4am from Tuesday onwards. Most nights we were woken up by arguments or drunken shouting with traffic and plane noise thrown into the mixture. We had friends facing Rue Dom Pedro and they said there it was even worse.

The shower pressure in the room wasn't strong enough and it was hard to regulate the temperature. One night we came back to discover no water coming from the hot water tap; we complained at reception and was told that a maintenance request will be made but for that night we had to shower in the hallway bathrooms which, incidentally, are actually very nice. There was no offer of a reduction. The next night we came back to find the water still not working and when I went down to the reception desk the woman there had no idea about our maintenance issue from the night before! I was left wondering how housekeeping managed to "clean" our bathroom without noticing the lack of water coming out from the hot water tap! The receptionist sent 2 maids down to deal with it and they worked out that the tenant next door managed to turn off our hot water supply from the mains tap which was in his bathroom. You wonder how it is possible for this to happen?!!

Housekeeping was generally quite good but our only complaint was that they would shut our windows even though we would always leave them open. It was so annoying to come home at night and the room would smell stale and was hot as hell!

Breakfast consisted of one croissant per person and two small bread rolls which were dense and tough. You get a range of jams and 4 slices of cheese (which were stale on the outer corners if you got the first serves of the day.) The coffee was really horrible and the tea was Liptons which is always horrible. Within 2 days we were eating just the croissant and then going elsewhere for the rest of breakfast.

In all honesty I would recommend that people stay elsewhere, I agree with previous posts that the area is kind of dull during the day and then too noisy in the evening.

• Liked — Size and comfort
  • Disliked — Service and breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Saffy2
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and found it delightful, and a very good bargain. Our flight from New York arrived in Lisbon at 8:30 am, I wrote to the hotel in advance about our early arrival and they said they'd almost certainly be able to let us into our room early, which they did. The people at the front desk were always friendly and helpful. Our room was quite small but it was immaculate, the decor was simple but elegant. The breakfast was nothing special, but as another reviewer mentioned, the cafe on the corner is fabulous in every way (food and atmosphere).
I'm completed baffled by the reviewer who said the neighborhood wasn't safe and people offered him drugs on every corner. Maybe he was staying in an alternate universe. We walked around at night without giving it a thought. There were people on the streets, it was completely comfortable and safe. The "fundador" that takes you down to the main part of town is just down the block, so it's a good part of town from which to explore the city.

• Liked — The building is old and charming
  • Disliked — The room was small, just a bed, armoire and tiny desk
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2008

Pensao Londres is in a good location of the city, right near some good nightlife spots, a good location to stay. It's nothing fancy, but definitely a good place to stay. I have no complaints for the two nights that we stayed here. We had a great view of the bridge from one of the top floor rooms. It is definitely a good place to stay in Lisbon.

• Liked — Good Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple