“Cool design, slightly less cool staff”

Internacional Design Hotel
Ranked #49 of 253 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel itself is actually quite cool. Beds are comfortable, the location is great, and the next to empty bar makes a mean caipirinha. We stayed in two different concept rooms; tribal and zen. The Tribal rooms are beautiful, however they are quite dark, which is one of the reasons we wanted to switch to a zen room.

The second reason brings me to my negative point about this place: the fact that their website says that medium to extra large rooms includes a balcony. When we asked about this (we actually asked two different people at the reception) they both said no. The man said that they do not have balconies at all, and the woman seemed to think we were being difficult by asking if we could get a room with a balcony, and seemed reluctant to help us and said "but the room you have now is a really big room".

Finally we met a danish girl at the reception desk who basicly said "when you booked the room you imagined a zen room with a balcony? then that's what we'll get you". Later that day we got our new room, which was smaller but had a balcony, and it was beautiful. So besides the danish girl and the guy who helped us with our bags and showed us our rooms the staff didn't seem very helpful to me.

All in all; great design, clean and quiet rooms at a superb location, but 50% of the staff should work on being more service minded, given the fact that they work at a hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like dark sooms, go for another concept than tribal.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Redstripe4
There are newer reviews for Internacional Design Hotel

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Very friendly & comfy hotel in the centre of Lisbon. Perfect for a nice stay in this beautiful city. The location of the hotel is great (very near the bus stop "Rossio" from/to the airport). The staff was very helpful (two great restaurant recommendations : Sacramento, and Bonjardim). The complementary drinks at the bar were also really appreciated. The rooms are very nice (we stayed on the "tribal" themed floor). Great amenities & bathroom. Very good bed. Large TV.
Great value for money !

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2012

If you are into concept hotels, The Internacional Design Hotel is the place to be for you. Placed right in the heart of Lisboa, you are within walking distance from the major sights and shops in the city. The 15 minute walk to the castle is highly recommended - just remember to bring your camera.
I stayed in the African themed floor and loved it. The scent and design was brought back impressions from my trips to South Africa and Kenya. I also had the chance to see the other rooms on the other floors, and they seemed equally stylish.

My room was huge, the bed was wonderful (and VERY big) and I loved the view from my balcony, overlooking the street. Despite being in the middle of the city, the rooms are quiet, and you can get a good nights sleep. The curtains are also good at blocking out the morning sun, if you have been partying until 5AM with the locals!

The breakfast is served in the very stylish restaurant/bar on the second floor, and had all what your heart could desire - from healthy cereals and fruit, over Nespresso machine via English breakfast - to portuguese delicacies. I loved it (-a little too much).

The staff was incredible friendly and spoke many languages - even Danish! They were very helpful giving me ideas on where to go and how to get there, they also took good care of my bags on my day of departure and organized their own shuttle buss to pick me up and take me to the airport on the last day. I was running a little short on time getting to the airport - but the driver was incredibly helpful, and got me there right in time.

I was able to see the business room on the top floor - which can be used for brainstorming or similar creative meetings or dinners. As a creative consultant - the space definitely made me want to come back for business, as well as pleasure in the future

I thus give Internacional Design Hotel my unreserved recommendation! Thank you for such a memorable weekend.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnneRiechert
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in Lisbon Portugal for 7 nights in April, Staff spoke at least 4 languages and were amazingly helpful with attractions, car rentals, restaurant suggestions, etc. The hotel itself is beautiful; the exterior remains archtiecturally accurate, but the interior is modern, clean, whimiscal. You have every amenity needed in each room and they are tastefully appointed. We included breakfast and the food was excellent. Nice to have real linens and so many kinds of breakfast foods. This hotel caters to all nationalities and we truly enoyed our stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony - if available it does not cost extra...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VHE_2011
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this modern design hotel. The best feature is it's location right in the historic heart of Lisbon a stones throw from the 28 tram and the Santa Justa elevator. Despite this the room was very quiet. Staff were polite and helpful. Breakfast was ok with some great pastries but limited selection of cooked dishes. Only downside was the small room.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Warm welcome only steps across the Square from the airport bus stop. Given a smallish but very comfortable room overlooking the Square. Design is a bit quirky, possibly trying a bit too hard to be chic, but fun nevertheless. Location is central and superb. Excellent professional service and good breakfast. Rates are not a bargain but good value considering the Hotel's prime location and solid service.

Room Tip: I was given a room overlooking the Square and would attempt to get one similar when I visit in futur...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank UKbanker33
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Each level has rooms of the same theme:
4th floor- Pop rooms
3th floor - Zen
2nd floor- Tribe
1st floor- Urban

Likes
-You can't beat the location. It's at Lisbon's two main square. Tourist sightseeing buses depart from the square. Buses, trams and subway also at the doorstep.
-Interesting concept of theme rooms.
-Staff was very nice and accommodating when I had to change rooms due to traffic noise

Dislikes
-Standard rooms are quite small
-Some rooms are very noisy as it is on a main street with lots of traffic.
-Wifi does not work well in some rooms
-Breakfast a bit hit and miss. Some day good, some day bad

Tips
-Imagine a 1st floor room where cars are 4 meters away from your bed. If you don't want noise request one of the rooms on the side street.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo