“Lovely downtown hotel, sitting on a charming square.”

Internacional Design Hotel
Ranked #40 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
“Lovely downtown hotel, sitting on a charming square.”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Really enjoyed staying here, the location is great right on a central square with plenty of restaurants and sites within walking distance - as is the waterfront. The trams run past the hotel also. From the airport you can get the airport bus and it drops you on the square the hotel is on so I wouldnt bother getting a taxi. The welcome from the staff was very warm and they kept that standard up on every interaction with them. We had a welcome drink (restricted choice) but a nice start and the bar which is where breakfast is also served is a lovely airy room nicely laid out that overlooks the square and set the tone for our visit. The room we stayed in was small but with a modern feel and was very clean with a nice bathroom and it overlooked the square. The staff went out of their way to guide us towards restaurant choices and make the bookings, we had read a recomendation but were persuaded to go to a more local choice which was one of the highlights of our visit to Portugal. Breakfast was excellent - lovely food and many choices from a buffet as well as omelettes or pancakes etc you could order to be made fresh for you. Would go back to stay again. Quite a different neighbourhood to The Mercy Hotel where we stayed after spending a few weeks up the coast - that would be my only consideration on choosing this again. This hotel is down in the city centre and not far from the castle etc. The Mercy is in Bairro Alto sitting up across the road from tiny streets of bars & restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms are quite small but even so are nicely designed to make the most of the space. The location is...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I kindly appreciate the time you took to review our hotel and service.

We are proud to be part of a wide range of quality hotels in Lisbon, from which we stand out for our location and personalized service.

Our staff’s goal is to make your time in Lisbon unique and memorable. This means that from breakfast to sightseeing and dinner recommendations you know you can count on us to help you have a very special holiday in Lisbon.

Please let me know when you return to Lisbon, it will be my pleasure to help you plan your visit.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Corte Madera, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Great in every way. Service, room, location. Very clean. Bar simple but nice place to relax. Staff extremely helpful. Great restaurant recommendations. Left special PDA battery in room. They found it and sent it to me!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Guest,

On the behalf of the whole team, I would like to thank you for your kind words.

Whenever you come back to Lisbon, do not hesitate to contact me, maybe next time you can also enjoy a beautiful meal in our soon to be opened restaurant.

Hope to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. The location is great, just off one the main squares with the rickety old trams up to the castle right on your doorstep. The bizarre lift to the fallen down church and the water are all close by too. The room was perfectly nice if a little pokey, very clean etc. staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast decent. A good hotel.

My only caveat being the design theme. I suppose it depends on your taste but i found it all a little silly. Pretentious quotes that a moody fourteen year old would scratch into their backpack to sound clever adorn the walls everywhere. Mind bending wallpaper and bold colours abound. Over- designed might be more apt... But still, it was more odd than offensive, and didn't detract from a very pleasant stay. Recommend.

Room Tip: Attic rooms have eaves so restricted height, bathrooms too: showered at 45 degrees!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I_Design_Hotel, Owner at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about our Hotel.

Im glad to know that your overall experience was positive, and that besides the design issue, you would still recommend Internacional Design Hotel.

Please accept my apologies for any negative experience you had concerning our decoration.

We are constantly changing our design elements, and doing partnerships with national and international artists.

Please don´t hesitate to contact me if you plan to visit our city again. I´ll personally take care of your requests.

Warm Regards,

Alexandre Martins

Plettenberg Bay
Reviewed 2 October 2013

From the enquiry to the departure, every body we dealt with was friendly and very professional. The rooms are small but absolutely fine for a city stay. Clean and well appointed. Especially "George Clooney" coffee in our room! Breakfasts were delicious. Huge assortment of fresh fruit, cold meats, cheeses, pastries ,.... Whatever you wanted.
We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Zen room but the other themes looked just as lovely.
2 Thank frandermo
Thank you for your kind review!

We truly strive to offer all of our guests a wonderful experience, and I am very happy to hear that we did so.

Next time you visit us, please consider our other room types. Maybe, a bigger sized room would suit you better.

On your next trip to Lisbon, please do not hesitate to contact me in order to arrange all your booking requests and special upgrades.

Warm Regards

Alexandre Martins

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed at Internacional Design hotel for 5 nights. We arrived at the hotel minus our luggage and the reception staff went beyond the call of duty to assist us with phone calls to the airline to try and locate our bags.I can't remember all their names but they were all fantastic. Our room was only tiny but very clean with a nespresso machine. It was great to be able to make a coffee in the room unlike other European hotels. The breakfast delicious with a glass of champagne which I needed after the bags fiasco! Felipe was very courteous and his attention to detail at breakfast unsurpassed. On our last night we were informed of a truly Portuguese restaurant by staff- another great experience.
The hotel is in a excellent location close to metro and local sights.
Once again to all the staff- thank you.

1 Thank KerryG974
I_Design_Hotel, Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your kind review about your stay with us.

It’s a pleasure to be you choice and your preferred Hotel in Lisbon.

We make efforts everyday to provide the best service in order to guarantee our guests satisfaction.

I take the opportunity to inform you that our Restaurant´s grand opening will take place this year and I would like to have you as special guests.

Hope to see you soon.

Yours truly,
Filipe Garcia

Food and Beverage Manager
South America
Reviewed 1 October 2013

An excellent base from which to enjoy LIsbon. This hotel couldn't be in a more central location, the room was comfortable and not at all noisy. The hotel is quite funky in its decor and the staff are very helpful. Will definitely be staying here when I return. A word of advice bring a travel iron. The hotel doesn't have any for safety reasons. First time I've come across this.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel.

Your advice concerning the ironing service will be considered and soon our Hotel will provide it to all our Guests. Nevertheless our laundry service will be available.

I hope to hear from you prior to your next visit to Lisbon. We are at your disposal for any requests or questions you may have.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We booked the Internacional Design Hotel for 5 nights at the end of September and couldn't have asked for a better stay. The hotel's location couldn't be more central to the most popular amenities in Lisbon, whilst the decor, staff and overall quality of our stay was absolutely fantastic. Rooms are great and, if you're lucky enough to get a balcony, the views of the surrounding areas are brilliant. Was slightly concerned that the noise from the busy streets below could be quite loud, but the doors / windows silenced this almost completely when closed. Special mention goes to Ana (think this is her name) who made our stay all the more special. If you're looking for a top hotel in central Lisbon, this one's perfect. Prices may be slightly above some people's budget but this is made up for completely by the location. Would definitely return during any future trips to the city.

• Stayed September 2013
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our team, I would like to thank you for your "fantastic" review.

It has been a pleasure to accommodate you during your stay in Lisbon and I am glad the Hotel could stand up to your expectations.

Next time you visit us, please let me know that you are coming, so I can arrange the best conditions for your reservation.

Hoping to see you soon,