“Hospitality At Its Best!”

Internacional Design Hotel
Ranked #49 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 22 October 2013

There could hardly be a better place from which to really experience Lisbon. Excellent hospitality and service. Very helpful, efficient and friendly staff - always ready and kind.

The room was good. The bed was a dream - fluffy, clean, soft, best sleep in years. The location couldn't be better. It is close to the most beautiful places in Lisbon, as well as to the main attractions.

I was not expecting the breakfast to be this good!! Every morning I would wake up in a hurry to not miss the amazing breakfast :)

I would come back here again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
I_Design_Hotel, Assistant Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us, we are always very pleased when our guests had such a pleasant time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you come to Lisbon, so I can show you the different themes on each floor.

Hope to see you soon

Nuno Matos Lopes
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The location of the hotel is top: located right at the main square it is an ideal starting point to explore the city. A Metro station is also really close by. The staff was super friendly and helped us a lot with tips and restaurant reservations. The hotel is stylish and every floor has a different theme, so the rooms are decorated differently. Sadly, the room was pretty small so next to the bed there wasn’t much room left for anything else. Also, as it’s located right on the main square it was a little noisy during the night and in early morning. They have a really rich and tasty breakfast with a variety of choices (international as well as some typical Portuguese food). And it’s worth trying the cocktails in their bar from which you can also enjoy a really nice view over the main square.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts about our Hotel.

I have to agree that our location right in the center of the city is key when planning your trip and visiting Lisbon.

Downtown is where everything happens and sometimes our double windows are not enought for occasional noises. Luckily it doesn't happen often.

We have different categories with different sizes, next time try a bigger room as a Medium or a Large one. The experience will be different and I truly believe that will exceed your expectations.

Please do contact me directly next time you come to Lisbon, and I will make sure together we find a room and concept that better suits your needs.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

As many others have commented, this hotel is situated is an ideal location. Unless you're willing to pay considerably more then the rooms are small but have everyhthing you need and are very comfortable. Each floor is decorated in a different modern style, we had a 4th floor room with great views into the square and down the street but it does get noisy in the early hours with the bins being emptied and there is the traffic in the background constantly however the door onto the "balcony" (more of a ledge) cuts this out completely. On our side of the hotel there was opera being played from one of the restaurants from breakfast to dinner which was actually very pleasant. There was however a regular smell from the drain when we had the balcony door open, it didn't smell when you looked over the balcony just inside the room, closing the door removed the smell - strange.

Talking of breakfast this is where the hotel slips up. Whilst the choice and quality is great the service is chaotic, tea/coffee service is very random (earier to use the Nespresso machine to make your own and it's better), the food often runs out and you then have to get it refilled, the toaster cant cope, it's just too small and too slow, they dont have sufficient glassses for the cold drinks and getting a table can be problematic some mornings. Receiving any hot disk you order is random, the staff forget who ordered what. They are though very helpful but they need the whole service being better organised.

The bar does an excellent G&T!

The front desk staff are great, smily and very helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms are small so be prepared. Cocoon rooms do not have a street view (I believe).
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
I_Design_Hotel, General Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Every review is important for us, but more so, those reviews when guests show us the areas where we can improve our service.

I have informed our maintenance department about the strange smells in your room, and they are following up on it.

I´m glad to know that you found our soundproofing windows efficient.

On behalf of our F&B team, I would like to apologize for any delays you might have experienced during the service.

We are in the process of reorganizing our breakfast service, preparing for the opening of the brand new Restaurant.

Warm Regards,

Sara Freire

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Good experience but might have been better. It seems that there is a bit of a communication gap since we requested a single mattress for our trip but yet again were presented with two separate mattresses, which is not a big surprise in Europe. When i requested a new room they told me but of course, meanwhile putting some sort of padding on the two mattresses to make it feel like a double sized on, which I have to say wasn’t a total failure. The next day we were told that there are no room with a double mattress at all; they just do not exist in the hotel.
While the location is central it does get noisy in the morning and at night with the restaurants and morning garbage collection. Rooms are small, almost Parisian size small and we didn’t get the smallest room available, which is not a big deal as we spent all of the time outside. Breakfast was very good with freshly squeezed juices and tasty treats but service was a bit spastic at times. Shower and high speed internet connection were also excellent. However the lighting in the bathroom is not very bright so putting on my makeup was a bit problematic and there is a usual barely blowing hotel hairdryer.
While a good place I would probably not come back as the same level of service with a similar location can be had at a much better price in Lisbon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anutaNY
I_Design_Hotel, General Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about the hotel and your stay here.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you felt regarding the two separate mattresses and how it affected your stay and your opinion about us.

Our Maintenance Department have in their “to do list” improving the quality of light in the room you have stayed.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to contact me directly next time you visit Lisbon.
This way I will be able to better address your needs, and offer you a great stay in Lisbon.

Kind Regards

Sara Freire

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Is it possible to fall in love with a hotel? Everything about this hotel is phenomenal - location, rooms, cleanliness, food, decor, and most especially the staff. The location is ideal - it's near a metro, sits on a main square just off the old part of town. Everything you could need is right around the corner. The hotel is only 4 years old and looks like a shining bauble compared to the other buildings in the area which have suffered since I last visited Lisbon 8 years ago. The design is fun and funky - with nooks to relax in and something interesting and cool to notice with every turn of your head. The room was spacious and clean, the beds are comfortable, and the windows dim out most of the outside noise. And, unlike other European bathrooms - there was a full door on shower/tub! The floors are half-levels which makes carrying your suitcase a challenge up and down a few steps but the staff are quick to insist on helping. Breakfast is wonderful and worth the cost. Eggs, meat, cheese, quiches, breads, a variety of fresh juices, coffee, and pastries - a huge spread - and it changes some every day which is a bonus. But, I think the best thing going for this hotel is the staff. Outstanding. They are helpful - and not just when approached with questions. It was very clear that they are eager to make sure that every visitor has a great stay - whether it's directions or advice or helping arrange a taxi in the middle of the night to the airport. Everything is done with a genuine smile and a warm greeting.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to know, by your kind words, that you fell in love with our hotel. Keeping design up to date and refreshing details every now and then are key to having this historic building looking great at all times.

Reviews like yours keep us motivated and focused on the never-ending goal of providing our guests with the perfect Lisbon experience.

It will be a pleasure to have you back in Lisbon, so please let me know of any future visits, I will be happy to help you make all necessary arrangements.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Family owned design hotel in great location. 20 minute taxi ride from the airport and close to a metro station. Around the corner from Santa Justa Lift and Old Town. Very friendly and helpful staff. Fun interior with many interesting design features. Staff brings little free pastries to the room in the afternoon. Just another little gesture that makes one feel very welcome at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
I_Design_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I was happy to read your friendly review about our hotel.

It pleases us to know that our daily treats and our dedicated service left such good impressions throughout your stay.

Please let me know if you are coming back to Lisbon, it will be a pleasure to help you planning your next stay.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

For me the two outstanding things about this hotel are the excellent staff for whom nothing was too much trouble and the perfect central location. I very much like contemporary design and boutique style hotels (thus my booking) however this hotel has some flaws. Our first floor room had blackout curtains but no net curtain or blind and for any privacy from the street we had to close the curtains and use artificial light. This is very annoying during daylight hours. The contemporary bathroom was very good and interesting but the useless dim lighting was quite hopeless for putting contacts in or cosmetics on etc. The very sparse furnishing, poor lighting and grey walls made our room feel more cave like than chic. Our room was really more “design statement” than a pleasure to stay in and relax. Our room was spacious and quite clean and had a huge low bed. Regrettably, for the reasons above, I would hesitate before recommending the hotel to friends. I really wanted to like this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William G
I_Design_Hotel, Owner at Internacional Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review and for the compliments you have mentioned about our location and amazing staff.

We are all extremely passionate about our guests and very committed to providing the best experience and customer service possible.

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations concerning the comfort and decoration of your room. I personally took notes about the curtains and lights and it will be addressed to our Maintenance Department.

If you come back to our city again I would like to invite you to visit us so I can show you our improvements and the design of the others three concepts.

I hope to welcome you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Warm Regards