“Amazing hotel for a low price!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lisbon
Suico Atlantico Hotel
Ranked #196 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I loved the hotel!
Great location and the staff was super nice. They made us feel very welcomed and provided all services we asked for.
The only problem was the yellow tram... It made a lot of noise, but I didn't mind much because it stopped at night and I was out of the hotel fairly often. Also the breakfast wasn't the best, but I didn't mind because it came free with the booking and it was descent.
They had great room service and had a T.V. that had English channels and good English movies.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask to get a room further down from where the yellow tram is located
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank camcam_12

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I read many reviews of this hotel before booking. Now that I've stayed, I realise that many people seem to have thought they had booked the Ritz. I got a fairly basic room with bathroom and shower, it was fine for three nights and my friend and I were paying £21 per night. No complaints whatsoever. The funicular to the side of the hotel didn't keep me awake at all but I am no light sleeper. Basic but adequate breakfast was available. We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night and I wasn't too impressed with the grilled Salmon to be honest. But the hotel itself is fine for what we paid I would go back quite happily.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room away from the funicular but it stops duri...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Located 1 street up from Av Liberdade near Hard Rock Cafe, lots of graffiti & rundown buildings surrounding hotel on Rua da Gloria, weren't sure about location at first, but turned to be okay & felt safe.The beds were comfortable, good pillows, quiet room & clean, shower was great. Breakfast was low end cheese & meats & staff wouldn't let of take a apple out unless we bit it first. Good location. Hotel front desk was helpful & spoke English. No complaints for the money.

Room Tip: Steep walk up from Rua da Gloria by the tram, wear flat shoes. Don't let the graffiti & rund...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol D
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My wife and I went to Lisbon for 5 nights in August 2012. I booked this hotel based on its central location and reluctance to spend money on public transport/taxis as much as possible. I was well aware of the mixed reviews of this hotel (Tripadvisor appears to have two pages for it. This one, 'Suico Atlantico Hotel', and 'Turim Suissoatlantico' - though they are the same hotel) but was hopeful that if we booked one of the refurbished 'Superior' rooms we should be fine.

The Good:

- The 'Superior' double room we booked was very good. Though small, the fifth floor room we had was modern, clean and bright. Features included a comfortable bed, small private balcony with a lovely view of the city towards the castle and river, excellent bathroom with shower and hairdrier, flat screen TV (which had BBC and Fox TV), adjustable and silent aircon, a snazzy radio with speakers built-in to the ceiling and bathroom playing nice chilled out music, 3 power points for your electrical appliances, wi-fi (though sometimes temperamental) and lots of storage space for clothes.

- Housekeeping was great and the room was cleaned perfectly with fresh towels and bedding every day.

- The reception and lobby areas were modern, air conditioned and comfortable.

- The location was perfect for us and will be for most guests who will be spending most of their time in the city centre. Just off the Restauradores (where you can get on/off the aerobus to/from the airport and which makes an excellent meeting spot if meeting friends staying elsewhere in Lisbon). Excellent for sightseeing in the day and going to the Bairro Alto at night.

The Bad:

- Customer service leaves a lot to be desired. A smile, even a forced one, can go a long way. When checking in, the receptionist who served us didn't appear bothered. OK, maybe he had a long shift but come on, many guests are visiting his fine city for the first time and want to be welcomed. A simple, 'is this your first time in Lisbon?' or at the very least, an 'enjoy your stay!' will leave a positive feeling with the customer from the outset. Fortunately, our delight at the room we booked made up for this. The staff working in the breakfast area all had the same tired gramaces on their faces... sadly the breakfast left these on the guests' faces too...more on this later.

- No welcome pack or information given to new guests with details of services available at the hotel, menus for breakfast and the restaurant, wi-fi connection instructions, fire escape map etc

- A minor point but the safe in our room had a big hole where the lock used to be. As we weren't going to use the safe anyway, we didn't bother asking for a replacement.

The Ugly:

- The breakfast! Having read a number of reviews on Tripadvisor I was already prepared for a poor breakfast. I like a continental breakfast, particularly in hot weather. Unfortunately, the breakfast here, considering how well they've done to improve the building and rooms, was a disgrace. I could overhear other english speaking guests commenting on the poor breakfast and of course reviews on this site have mostly been negative.

On offer were the following:
* a kind of heavily diluted fruit 'squash' posing as fresh fruit juice
* hot drinks from a machine which produced awful coffee. Also no sugar granules offered (!!!), only small packs of sweetener.
* very dry buns and brioche rolls - the best use for these would be to sneak them out of the hotel and use them to prop up the wonky tables when eating at a restaurant with terrace seating!
* bland cornflakes
* ok but evidently cheap ham and cheese slices
* marmalade and butter
* fruit

The choice and number of items was ok, but the quality was extremely poor. Hot food options were avalable on order (around 2 euros per item) - though judging on how well they served the basics, there was no way we were going to pay for the extras.

Part of the dining room was sectioned for breakfast service but was too small an area for all the guests to move around and sit comfortably - on one occasion I saw four guests waiting for seating in the breakfast area whilst the seats in the restaurant area remained empty. No idea why they didn't just open up the whole restaurant seating area.

The verdict:

Overall, we were pleased that we booked here as the room was excellent and the location perfect - which was the main thing for us. There are negative issues though which have been mentioned on numerous occassions in other reviews - mainly the customer service and the breakfast. If the above were not an issue I would have given a higher rating and we would not hesitate in staying here again should we visit Lisbon.

If any of the hotel management read these reviews they should listen to their customers and seriously consider the following:

- either improving the quality of the breakfast food on offer or charge slightly less and remove breakfast completely

- sending its staff on a customer services course or workshop. I'm sure guests can appreciate that they perhaps have long shifts or bad days etc but there are simple, effortless things that they can do to make their guests' stays that little bit more pleasant. A smile costs nothing!

Other Things to note for guests:
- This hotel appears to be classed as a two-star hotel on most sites, though on the Turim site classes it as a four-star. Perhaps the completion of the hotel refurbishment has upped the rating.

- If walking to the hotel from the Restauradores there is a short but steep slope to walk up by the bottom of the funicular track. Take care if wearing shoes with little grip as I saw 2 people on seperate occassions being attended to for slipping and hurting themselves on the pavement.

- By the bottom of the funicular track there is a doorway to a peep/sex show. It didn't bother us and we didn't see any dodgy characters come out of there or loiter around but perhaps something to be aware of if you have young children.

Room Tip: Book a superior room on the fifth floor at the front of the hotel for a modern room with a nice balc...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tonybiz
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Well located but very old building do the room and bathroom were clean enough the window could not be open since all you could see outside was junk between this and adjacent building.

Breakfast was just terrible, bread, cheese and cheap ham was it with and undrinkable "orange" juice. Coffe was the worst it made me sick so just walk down the street to the main avenue and look for little cafe's and do your stomach a favor!

If you are driving there is no parking available all you can do is leave you car about 2 or 3 blocks away on the street paying meter parking about 1 euro an hour between 9 am and 6 Pm than it is free and had no problems leaving it overnight.

Room Tip: Cant give you tip since no matter what they will give you whatever they feel like anyway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bj8plus
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The room was small but newly renovated and very nice. We got a room on the top floor, with a small balcony and an amazing view towards the castle.
The breakfast was good, with cereal, ham, cheese etc. It said on our booking that continental breakfast was included, so I don`t understand why some people expect a large buffet .
The staff was very helpfull and spoke very good English.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rosa16
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This hotel is ideal for travellers and tourists keen on exploring Lisbon on foot. It has a great location, the middle of the city, as well as being very close to the Bario Alto, the place to be in the evenings/nights, with its cubbled streets, great atmosphere, intimate restaurants, bars and bups.
The hotel is located on a narrow street, half way up on a steep street towards Bario Alto. The loby and room were ok, clean and fresh.
The restaurants is of a good size, my friend and I gad a lovely continental brakfast there, which was set up as a buffet.
The staff were ok, they did not stand out but they here happy to point out a few attractions on a map and give us dirrections.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends