All reviews great location budget place within walking distance restauradores square perfect english cleaned daily quiet street night's sleep beautiful city public transportation pastries euro subway plug portugal
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Perfectly located in the middle of Lisbon, this budget place is for those who do not ask for many facilities.
Everything is basic (including the price as well) but clean, staff so kind and nice (esp.the old man I found very sweet to talk to) that you feel like at home from the moment you step in.
Only remark I have is on WiFi, it does have designated area on teh ground floor where it works, but even there most of the time it works very poor, especially on Ipad, I dont know why.
Breakfast basic, but literally basic, as expected though, but having in mind hotel's location, this is really not an issue at all.
Great stay overall!

Room Tip: My room was facing back alley but there was some bearable noise from outside, so I imagine the front rooms are more noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Take it with a grain of salt, this is 100% a budget hotel. The family who runs it is wonderful. There are two sons that speak PERFECT english, you would think they were born and raised in Connecticut. That said, the rooms are very outdated with dark wood furniture and old-looking quilts. I went with my boyfriend and was hoping for something a little nicer on our trip away... perhaps it was the fact that they gave us our remote control for the room when we checked in... but for the deal it is really unbeatable.

All complaining aside, I think we had the best room in the house. There are only a handful of rooms with balconies and it turned out we had TWO (one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom). If you can request room 305, I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think we had the best room in the house. There are only a handful of rooms with balconies and it turned out we had TWO (one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom). If you can request room 305, I would highly recommend it. Note: if you are deciding on this hotel over another one because of the "free breakfast and wifi" please know--the breakfast is made up of two types of rolls, jam, butter, orange juice, water and coffee. We only ate breakfast there once because quite frankly it was boring and not that great. Additionally, the wifi is only avialable in the lobby which is fine, but I would have preferred a place where I could pay a little extra and have the wifi in the bedroom.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Wonderfully located within easy walking distance of old city sights and commercial centre. Is located just beyond the pedestrian and restaurant area on cobbled streets.  Very easy to find from metro.  Very friendly, efficient and helpful staff.  Pleasant lobby - is the only place from which you can access internet which was only irregularly working.  Room was very clean, fairly basic furnishings, reasonably  large with view over neighbouring roofs and street.   Fairly quiet at night due to double glazing.   However some internal noise due to echo of wood floors and neighbouring door fittings. Basic continental breakfast was fresh.  Very good value.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We visited the Pensao Residencial Portunese for four nights in April 2013. I should preface this review by saying that this hotel is a very affordable option in central Lisbon, but we had a few critiques of the place which docks it a little in my rating.

First off, the location of the hotel is fantastic. We took the AeroBus from the airport, which stops at the Restaurandores stop, about 300 meters from the hotel. Very convenient option. There is also a major metro stop located there, which is helpful for travel around Lisbon. The Rossio train station, which leads to Sintra, is about a 10 minute walk away. The street where the hotel is located is a bit shady at night, but there are a number of restaurants and bars down the block, though most are fairly standard tourist fare. You can also walk to the Baixa, Alfama and Barrio Alto within 20 mins.

We stayed in a triple room. By European standards, the room was relatively spacious, featuring three single beds. The furnishings and decoration were quite sparse, but everything was clean and tidy. Our room was on the second story facing the street, so there was some noise at night from the restaurants and bars down the block. There was in room airconditioning, but it barely functioned. There was also a very small television, but it only received three local Portuguese language stations. The hotel supposedly offered free Wi-Fi access, but we found that it only worked very periodically, both in the room and in the common areas. The staff was efficient, but not all that friendly or helpful. Breakfast was a big disappointment. It was offered for two hours each morning, but consisted only of instant coffee, watered down juice and dry bread. No fruit or protein available.

Basically, this hotel suited our needs for a convenient, clean location in central Lisbon, but don't expect any amenities. Can't complain too much considering the price. If you want a no frills location, this is your spot.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ElectricMayhem
rportuense, Proprietário at Hotel Portuense, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear Madam,

I would like to thankyou for your detailed feedback which will help us to correct the least positive aspects.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the following:

Although you considered this street to be a "bit shady at night" it is quite safe. The problem arises only with regards to pick-pocketing which may happen anywhere.

When the hotel was renewed double glazed windows were placed in all rooms so "some noise at night from the restaurants and bars down the block" can only be heard if the same windows are left open.

Air conditioning has frequent maintenance and is working in the room you stayed in. The remote was probably being used in the wrong mode.

It is publicised that free Wi-Fi access is only available on the ground floor and not in the rooms. It is true that if the signal becomes unnavailable it is normally available after a very short while.

Although breakfast is basic, includes bread rolls, sliced bread and croissants, butter, jam, creamed cheese and honey, juice, hot chocolate, milk, tea or coffee, and is served between 7:30 and 10:30. If the Customer requests early breakfast it can be arranged for an hour earlier.

I hope to see you in the near future.
Best regards,

Sadiq Kassamo

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Excellent family run budget hotel with great location. No frills but very clean, recently refurbished, good shower with great water pressure. The family who run it are lovely and very helpful-very warm, full of good advice & take pride in what they do. Location is fantastic-good choice of restaurants at end of street including some traditional Portuguese & great seafood, plus max 10 mins walk to Barrio Alto or Alfama. Easy to get to airport & all the sights. Occasional noise from corridors in room but nothing a pair of earplugs won't solve. Broad range of guests of all ages and families too. Felt safe as a single girl. Would highly recommend for anyone on a budget

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo