All reviewsgreat locationbudget placewithin walking distancerestauradores squareperfect englishcleaned dailyquiet streetnight's sleepbeautiful citypublic transportationpastrieseurosubwayplugportugal
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I spent a week in here and cannot complain. The rooms are very clean, the service is fast and very polite. The location is fantastic and very quiet (for the area).
Will definitely come again next time.

On the downside, breakfast could definitely improve.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at Pensao Residencial Portuense in November 2013, and I'm happy to endorse the many positive comments made elsewhere in this thread. An overdue post here, prompted by plans to return in March 2014, and by a sweep of TripAdvisor reviews of my favourite venues in Lisbon.

The basic breakfast here was the only real concession to cost, and was easily solved. I used the Pingo Doce supermarket to get sliced meat and cheese for less than 7 euros for the week, and added these to the delicious fresh bread rolls. If I recall correctly, Pingo Doce was at Rua 1st December, behind the west side of Rossio square. I also brought coffee bags with me from UK. These are available from all UK supermarkets, but avoid the cheapest if you've not used them before.

Family members on duty at the check-in desk are a delight. Their helpful and engaging manner was that added-value that I'll remember long after memories of more material comforts have faded. For me the proximity to the music bars (in particular the live jazz in Alface Hall) and restaurants in the Bairro Alto district, (15 minutes up, 12 minutes down!), and about 10 minutes to River Tagus via Rua Augusta was much appreciated. I believe I could not have been better located if I'd stayed in one of the branded hotels.
Gaz

Room Tip: Generally speaking, I find it useful to email accommodation in advance of arrival, expressing a preference, if offered a choice, for a quiet room rather than one with a view or balcony. Others will have different preferences of course. Pensao Residencial Portuense, and the adjacent street, was quiet at all times when I stayed in November.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GZBY
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here for three nights and the hotel was exceptionally good value for a weekend break. The rooms are basic but spotlessly clean. The showers were hot and powerful. Breakfast is basic but what more could anyone expect for the price. Dreadful coffee but a selection of teas, nice fresh rolls and croissants. The owners are very helpful and we enjoyed the restaurants they recommended. We should have only gone to restaurants they recommended as we had a very bad experience in Torremolinos restaurant just down the street from the hotel. The location is ideal to explore Lisbon - a short walk brings you to Rossio square and the metro. The metro is a great way to get around Lisbon and we had purchased a ViaViagem card which allowed travel on all forms of transport. Lovely city and a great good value hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank moojea
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is our 2nd stay at this small hotel. We liked it so much in 2009, we recommended it to other guests meeting us in Lisbon this time, and they loved it too. The owners went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. They warned us where to be careful, what sights not to miss, and made great suggestions about where to eat. The hotel location is perfect! It's small but met our needs. The price per night was much less than most other accommodations in the downtown area. It is a block from Rossio Square, the theater district, the metro/train station to Sintra, & many restaurants. It's very safe, even at night.

Room Tip: We spent a little extra to get a triple room, rooms and 406 & 503 provided more space.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The location of this hotel is great. It is in the old town, close to trams, trains, buses and the Metro. There are lots of restaurants close by too. Although the single rooms are quite small they are comfortable and clean as are the en-suite bathrooms. Breakfast was basic but adequate - nice bread. The staff are friendly and very helpful. I really enjoyed staying here and would return if I decide to visit Lisbon again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends