All reviews great location a family run hotel within walking distance restauradores metro perfect english quiet street hotel is located public transportation pastries city portugal
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have had a terrible experience with this hotel, beware. I booked online and TEN DAYS LATER was informed by email that the card had been refused. My card is working fine and I have never had this problem before. I tried straight away to book again but the hotel is now full. The manager was very unhelpful and said it was not their problem; they did not even agree that they should have tried to contact me BEFORE cancelling my booking, to let me know and try another card. as it is now close to the date of my trip it will be very difficult for me to find anything at a reasonable price in a reasonable location. the attitude of the hotel was just shocking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JulieGP8745OK
rportuense, Proprietário at Hotel Portuense, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Madam,

When we receive an online booking, which has been confirmed by credit card, we have the credit card checked. We only accept reservations after receiving the "OK" from the payment terminal. In your case, the message received was "unauthorised" and therefore we cancelled the reservation. The online agency, that you used, was immediately informed about this. You should have contacted your bank to find out why this had happened. Due to fraudulent reservations all credit cards are checked. We are not going to be held responsible for this happening. We had no direct contact with you to be called "rude" nor do we control your banking transactions do be called"unreliable". I hope that this situation is clarified.

Yours Sincerely,

Sadiq Kassamo

Reviewed 20 March 2014

A great little place to stay, perfectly located and with charming staff at the front desk. As other people have remarked the breakfast was a bit ordinary but still within the realm of being acceptable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Prudence57
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I spent a week in here and cannot complain. The rooms are very clean, the service is fast and very polite. The location is fantastic and very quiet (for the area).
Will definitely come again next time.

On the downside, breakfast could definitely improve.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at Pensao Residencial Portuense in November 2013, and I'm happy to endorse the many positive comments made elsewhere in this thread. An overdue post here, prompted by plans to return in March 2014, and by a sweep of TripAdvisor reviews of my favourite venues in Lisbon.

The basic breakfast here was the only real concession to cost, and was easily solved. I used the Pingo Doce supermarket to get sliced meat and cheese for less than 7 euros for the week, and added these to the delicious fresh bread rolls. If I recall correctly, Pingo Doce was at Rua 1st December, behind the west side of Rossio square. I also brought coffee bags with me from UK. These are available from all UK supermarkets, but avoid the cheapest if you've not used them before.

Family members on duty at the check-in desk are a delight. Their helpful and engaging manner was that added-value that I'll remember long after memories of more material comforts have faded. For me the proximity to the music bars (in particular the live jazz in Alface Hall) and restaurants in the Bairro Alto district, (15 minutes up, 12 minutes down!), and about 10 minutes to River Tagus via Rua Augusta was much appreciated. I believe I could not have been better located if I'd stayed in one of the branded hotels.
Gaz

Room Tip: Generally speaking, I find it useful to email accommodation in advance of arrival, expressing a preference, if offered a choice, for a quiet room rather than one with a view or balcony. Others will have different preferences of course. Pensao Residencial Portuense, and the adjacent street, was quiet at all times when I stayed in November.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GZBY
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here for three nights and the hotel was exceptionally good value for a weekend break. The rooms are basic but spotlessly clean. The showers were hot and powerful. Breakfast is basic but what more could anyone expect for the price. Dreadful coffee but a selection of teas, nice fresh rolls and croissants. The owners are very helpful and we enjoyed the restaurants they recommended. We should have only gone to restaurants they recommended as we had a very bad experience in Torremolinos restaurant just down the street from the hotel. The location is ideal to explore Lisbon - a short walk brings you to Rossio square and the metro. The metro is a great way to get around Lisbon and we had purchased a ViaViagem card which allowed travel on all forms of transport. Lovely city and a great good value hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends