“Avoid it!”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Reviewed 24 February 2014

There are so many better restaurants in Lisbon that we kicked ourselves for stopping at this one.

The menu is traditional Portuguese but after sitting down I noticed it was run but a bunch of loud Brazilians - being Brazilian myself the food instantly reminded me of the bad restaurant experience you can unfortunately get in my native Rio de Janeiro.

The Cod/Bacalhau was clearly not fresh and all dishes were cold. My 7 years old daughter ordered spaguetti bolognese - a dish she absolutely adores - but this restaurant is so bad that even a basis Bolognese sauce was terribly prepared. The meat was lumpy, tasteless and, once again, cold.

We spent a week in Lisbon eating fantastic food elsewhere and being Brazilians we know how traditional Portuguese food should taste like - avoid this restaurant at all costs!

PS: the service wasn't great either. The staff was more interested in watching the (Brazilian!) news on TV which was extremely annoying and unprofessional!

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Overpriced. Very bad quality food. Tons of better alternatives in Lisbon. Extremely slow service in a rather quiet restaurant. I kicked myself not having read the reviews about this restaurant on trip advisor before I sat down.

1  Thank Tufan D
Reviewed 7 November 2013

While trekking up the hill to Castelo Sao Jorge we stopped for lunch at a quaint little place in the Alfama. Small, but very busy. Good selection of local dishes, at reasonable prices (for Lisboa, that is). Everything is prepared to order, so plan a short wait for your food. Staff helped us make our choices - their English is much better than our Portuguese! No rush to finish and pay check - you have to ask them for the check. As is the case in most such restaurants in Lisbon they brought a basket of bread (very good) and a plate of olives. These are NOT included in the price - if you eat you pay, usually about 1E each. If you don't want the item ask them to take it away and there is no charge.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Opting to sit inside as the outside temperature soared, the silenced tv football served more the staff's interest than anyone else's. The room was slightly cooler at least.

The sardines came with a few potatoes and the token salad leaves such places seem obliged to offer; the fish was very fresh and well-cooked. The decently sized glass of white wine, at 2.5euro, was nice enough but seemed devoid of alcohol.

A small (0.33cl) bottle of mineral water (1.60eu) was opened and placed on the table before I had the chance to object. Another unrequested imposition.

Half way through the meal, the tv football programme finished and some dire music video programme came on for which the volume was activated. This again seemed to serve the staff's interests more than the comfort of the customers'. This hastened my exit as I passed on dessert and coffee.

The service was prompt enough but lacking in any enthusiasm and one got the impression the staff couldn't wait to finish the shift.

Marks for the food only - which shouldn't be too difficult to attain - grilled sardines are hardly a very demanding dish at the best of times.

With the unrequested appetizers placed on the table as one sits (2 'pasteis' of cod(2.00eu), small bowl of olives (1.00eu), bread(0.50eu)) the final bill - 16.60euro.

Would advise to avoid unless desperate and in the area of the castle.

2  Thank anglital
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I was traveling by myself and two waiters served me. They were so kind! They even gave me a complimentary shot of ginja. I went here for the grilled sardines which were salty, crispy and greasy - so: really tasty!! I enjoyed it and in the end paid around 16?.