“Chosen for the location”

DownTown Guest House
Ranked #129 of 232 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Andernos-les-Bains, France
“Chosen for the location”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The hotel is misplaced on Tripadvisor. It is just next to Rossio square. You can't do better for location.

Our room (201/202) was clean, quiet but very gloomy. A room in a higher floor would maybe have been a bit brighter. The bedding was nice & firm. There was no staff to be seen during all our stay. Really had the place to ourselves.

Choose this hotel for a reasonably priced, quite acceptable place to sleep right in the centre. Don't stay here if you want a place that will be part of your memories of your visit to Lisbon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors overlooking the courtyard are gloomy.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Gdansk, Poland
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The location is THE BEST, no doubt about that - the location alone makes this an excellent choice. It's just a half minute walk from the Rossio square, which is where all the magic of the city happens.

The room (I was in 306, ensuite) was bright and newly renovated with ikea furniture, and had a balcony, which is great. The bathroom was also new, and spacious, and clean.
The room had a view on the street, which was nice, but caused a lot of street noise in the night. Also, you should know that houses in Lisbon generally don't have heating applicances nor very good windows. The window in my room had a rather huge hole in it, and couldn't be closed completely, so wind would blow through it, a bit.

There's a common kitchen available, if you need it.

Despite what other people have said here, the customer service was perfectly fine - they were available to us any time of day (or night), friendly and helpful (maybe the key is not to be rude to them, I don't know) - they let us use their computer and printer when we needed that, and cleaned our room every day, briefly. They just wouldn't change your towels, if you didn't ask for it, directly.

In general, I'd say this is a good, even if not perfect hostel, and I would stay there again if I ever traveled back to Lisbon. I had no major problems with them, and any problems that I did have - were related to the fact that it's an old, historic building, located in the historic city center - so it has it's good and bad points.

If you come here, expecting luxury, you'll be hugely disappointed. If you come looking for atmosphere, you'll be delighted. It's as simple as that, I guess.

Room Tip: I was in 306 (double ensuite), and I recommend that one.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 30 October 2012

First, the location is amazing. Just across the street from Rossio station, down the street from the train station to Sintra (which is a must see day trip), around the corner from the main attractions and buses, and walking distance to Barrio Alto. Second, the room is clean. However, the staff is so unhelpful and service so poor that it would be hard to want to stay here again unless they got their act together.

I arrived early and understood that a room would not be ready but when I asked if I could leave my stuff and change in the common bathroom (I had just gotten off from my international flight), they seemed irritated.

I asked for suggestions on places to go while I waited for my room and was met with no help at all. Thank goodness I at least had a lonely planet to look at. I came back at the time they told me (12:30) and my room was still not ready. I went out again and came back to Room 101, which is next to the registration desk. It was horrible based on the noise and space. First, the fact that the window looks out to the work space and the laundry lines means that you can't open the window or drapes because of it. So much for balcony. It felt like being in a box. Second, the bed is hard and it is the usual two twins pushed together to make a double although I have slept in worse. Third, the noise from reception kept you up all night. I asked about the noise and they said promised it would get quiet after 10pm. Well, it didn't. They played music and talked despite their promise and knowing my concern about the noise and there was someone who was also very unhappy with their room because I could hear the whole loud and long discussion. I asked for another room but they blew me off and then the next day, when I asked again, they told me that I could have a room that shares a bathroom but they wouldn't give me a refund for the difference. I had paid 50 euros for a double with private bathroom. I had seen that I was supposed to have room 201 but they obviously changed it and I was never told why.

While there, the cable didn't work nor did the internet work and they didn't know when it would come back on. I understand that but at least apologize for the inconvenience and act sincere.

The place is definitely NOT worth 50 euros. So, I was disappointed as the place could be great in terms of location and cleanliness. However, they really need to treat their guests better.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to put you in 101 or 102 unless you sleep like a brick.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Although the location is central and good we had a very bad experience staying in this hotel.

1. We were told that we have to pay the total amount in advance. We were surprised because everytime we have booked and stayed in hotels , the total amount was taken at the end of the stay.
2. Once payment was completed, they told us that we had to wait 1h30 before we could check into the room. We explained that we left our place at 4.30am and needed to rest, they ignored our comment and asked us to either wait for 1h30 minutes or go out and come back in 1h30 minutes when teh room is ready.
3. They gave us a room which was located opposite of the reception area, which is very busy with the "manager" shouting and calling for his assistants everytime there was a phone call or he needed to do anything. We kindly asked if we could get a room is a slightly quieter area. The staff who helped with the registration called another manager and we were given a room on the 4th floor.
4. The room was very basic:
- only one swich was accessible, behind a cabinet and bed;
- 2 bath towels were provided but no hand towels,
- there was a very small window to allow for some natural light, although this was limited due to the size of that window,
- there were working ceiling lights but the bedside lights were purely decorative - the switches did not work
- there was no fridge/ or a common area with fridge downstairs
- the bathroom still needed some work to be done to it. There was a ceiling lamp but there was no light above the sink mirror (there was a hole instead there).
- there was no soap, no shower gel (shops were closed on the Sunday and we had no soap for a shower. We had to look for shops in town instead of relaxing and visiting.
5. The Monday morning, when we went out, we saw a huge sign outside of the hotel advertising for private rooms for 29.95 euros per room per night. I found this extremely dishonest because we booked in advance and yet were charged 49.95 euros per night.
6. When I enquired about the sign, the same person who took payment from us on Sunday told me that this is the rate for their hostel which is situated opposite our rooms. This was a lie because the next day when I tried to find out more about their hostel, another member of staff mentioned that they only have private rooms and no hostel type accommodation.
7. The staff was not friendly.

It is a shame as this could have been a nice hotel, but the staff was interested in making a profit and there was no customer service at all.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chouca30
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We booked a double room with a private bathroom at DownTown Guest House through HRS but after we had paid in full on check in (a big mistake) we were given a key to a room that had a shared bathroom. So we went down to reception and asked why we had a shared bathroom when we had quite clearly booked and paid for a private room. The guy on reception agreed that we had booked a private room but said that he was unable to help us as the manager had allocated us the room and was not available. After checking with reception many times we were not able to speak to her until the middle of the next day when she eventually offered us a refund to match the rate of a shared bathroom (a difference of approx. 10 Euro per night). DownTown Guesthouse should either allow their receptionists some authority to change rooms (or provide refunds) or the manager should be available within a reasonable time to sort these sorts of issues out (24 hours later is not good enough!) Although this experience really spoilt the start of our trip the hotel is in an excellent location and even though the room was small it was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in October and was pleasantly surprised by my entire experience - the convenient and quiet location, pleasant staff, nice amenities and comfortable room... and all at such a wonderfully affordable rate! I would highly recommend the Downtown Guesthouse.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This hotel is in the perfect location. It's one block behind Rossio Square, but still quiet and calm. The rooms are clean and cheap. The only downside was our shower, that left a small pool on the floor every time we or our neighbors showered. For the price, location and staff though, it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends