“Romantic”

Restaurante BarAlto
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Restaurante BarAlto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #657 of 4,541 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: US$19 - US$31
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bairro Alto, Bica & Cais do Sodré
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Good food and lovely restaurant, especially if it's not a sit outside evening. The owner/waiter was friendly and the service good. When we left about 11pm it was busier and I think others were getting a slower service. Still recommend though, as long as you're not in a hurry.

1  Thank Fi_London2

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We went to this lovely small restaurant on the basis of the Trip Advisor reviews as knew we were going to be in that area of Lisbon. We loved the intimate feel of the restaurant, and the service was superb: very friendly waiter who provided good recommendations and seemed genuinely concerned that we have a wonderful experience. He recommended an excellent, minerally, light white wine from the south of Portugal. For starters, my son had what he considered a fair rabbit dish that looked a bit unpleasant on the plate (a brownish heap), while I had a superb shrimp in ginger olive oil with plump slices of garlic that the waiter recommended. Mine was wonderfully fresh shrimp in a mildly spicy, gingery olive oil that was so good I put some of the excellent country bread. The breads also came with an excellent pot of fresh butter, tuna fish and mayonnaise spread, and peppery olive tapendade that were all excellent. The quality situation reversed with our main dishes. My son had a tender steak that he said was one of the best steaks he has had with plump sautéed mushrooms and roast potatoes. I, on the other hand, had a very fishy sea bass with one shrimp rice dish swimming unpleasantly in olive oil and with the sea bass rolled eel-like in the middle of the rice in long strips with the skin still on. The white rice had small, hard kernels. This may be a traditional Portuguese dish cooked to Portuguese tastes but for those of us used to delicate, Italian risottos, I ended up leaving half of it uneaten. The ambience was lovely, the service excellent, and this small restaurant is clearly trying very hard, but at this meal satisfaction depended completely on the specific dish ordered. We had far better overall meals elsewhere in Lisbon this trip. Of note also, we had not realized that this restaurant does not accept credit cards. Happily, we had sufficient cash to cover the dinner and tip. The price was very reasonable.

1  Thank Michele-Myers
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed a recent meal here. The restaurant is very small with traditional decor. The service was very good, much better than I have experienced in other restaurants in lisbon. There are 4-5 menu choices for each course but everything was very tasty and well
presented. It was a very enjoyable evening

1  Thank Claire H
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked this restaurant because of the good reviews on tripadvisor. The food just ok the air was v ery hot inside and the service was terrible. I don't know how and why this is a top restaurant in lisbon. No way.

1  Thank wcdd1955
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Quirky and small, that's just fine with me. Great food (which it was)--even better. But warm red wine, presumably because it was stored in the restaurant that was stuffy and warm on an otherwise cool July evening, did not hit the spot until chilled. Worst, the server hovered over us all evening, and not in a good way. Granted, we chose the table, but the server's body was inches from mine for a good part of the evening as he reached over my head to the kitchen to retrieve plates. He also stood inches from us for extended conversations with various friends who stopped by to say hello. Topping it off, he sneezed many times during the evening and only washed his hands one time. Despite the chef's wonderful presentations, I would not return.

2  Thank judyalice