“Not that great..” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #88 of 247 Hotels in Lisbon
London, United Kingdom
“Not that great..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

The location is a pretty great location. However it seems they are a bit short staffed for the three nights we stayed there. They are slightly disorganised, The concierge did not seem to make great suggestion as to what to do in Lisbon. We got suggestions from friends and locals and tripadvisor. The rooms felt a bit gloomy and dreary. There was a smell in the corridor that we stayed in, smelt rather stale. I do not think I would rate it a 5 star personally.

A very average hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
simferopole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

When i checked in i was suprised with incompetence of one staff member(not marriott 5 star). But then when I met Veronica(a new staff member) I finelly found a 5 star service and just a very nice person,thank you!all the best to you:)
I liked the rooms a lot!they are amazing!!!the breakfast is very good!:)i missed a pool or at least the gym but location compensates all these:)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Valeriya M
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I selected the hotel because of the location, which is great, i can reach Bairro Alto by foot and you are directly in teh city center. But I didnt feel treated as a MR Platinum guest, first during the checkin there was no line for Elite so i needed to stay in queue, afterwards I've been given a standard room, which was dark, smelly and noisy, I went to the reception and needed to wait again for the exchange, then I got some room with balcony which was better but I'm used to suites. Breakfast was under average. There is no fitness in the hotel and was offered to pay 20 euro somewhere next to the hotel which I didnt accepted. During the stay there was an issue with the lock on my door and I wasnt able to get into the room for more than 90 minutes! There was no service guy onsite and hotel staff was just saying 15 minutes every 15 minutes. Nothing was offered to me to sort out this situation and i missed my appointment. Overall I wasnt satisfied at all and next time will stay in any other hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Arlington, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very interesting hotel. Centrally located and easy to walk to everything, but the quirky, dark decor might not be for everyone. We had a room on the fourth floor of the main building facing the street and it was surprisingly quiet, but VERY dark - very little natural light. The bathroom in particular had very inadequate lighting and no counter space -- at all! Really weird. We used Marriott points for our stay and I would consider staying here again with points if we could get a room with better lighting and a much better bathroom.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Well for a Marriott this place is different. Definitely for the younger more hip crowd than Middle England/USA

Why? Well everything's black for a start you can hardly see in the corridors but it is funky.

The room was super and bathroom really great size.

Check in staff were superb friendly and totally fluent in English.

Fantastic location with a short stroll to the centre if Lisbon and opposite a metro entrance so straight to and from the airport was easy.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I want to give this hip and funky hotel 5 stars. As a Marriott Gold member they upgraded us to a suite and that makes me want to give this place 5 stars. Yet, if I am to stand by my word to make TA a more objective place for reviews, I must hold my ground at 4 stars!

This property is a hot mess! As others have pointed out- the designers of the hotel listened to The Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" 24/7 while designing this place. We loved that aspect! I can imagine some stuffy people hating this hotel with a passion. Good!

The layout of our suite was very interesting and the design was crazy! I loved the wild clock spread out all over one wall and the phone that came from a twisted version of the 80s.

There was a photo shoot going on the front lobby during our last day in Portugal. The model at the center of the shoot seemed very put out all the time and they basically monopolized the whole lobby. At one point, I struggled to get the front desk person to order me a cab for 4:00am the next morning because of this crazy photo shoot. Oh well, I figured I was in bizarro land and loved it!

The location is hard to beat and the breakfast was good. I am not going to do my usual pros and cons because there is not point. You are going to be a Hipster and love this place. A person who loves Goth will love this place. Or, you will be a Marriott Rewards Member with points to burn and love this place! Oh yeah, you need a sense of humor as well.

As long as you are not an uptight person, you will enjoy the spunk of this hotel. I cannot say I have stayed in a hotel like this and we would stay here again. If you want clean, sterile, Marriott feel you have come to the wrong place! Go away!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tpwoofs
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I loved the quirky style of this hotel! I referred to hallways as The Bat Cave due to the black hallways, bathrooms, walls, etc., but it was fun. The decor was eclectic, which I guess you either appreciate or don't get. The shower was nice and comfy as was the bathroom area. The beds were comfortable and the room which was located next to the bank of elevators was very quiet. I enjoyed the restaurant which served an delicious bruschetta as well as a flavorful burger. The wait staff was very attentive and polite.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family