“Have stayed at better hostels/motels for half the price”

Residencia Mar dos Acores
Ranked #225 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
London, United Kingdom
“Have stayed at better hostels/motels for half the price”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

If you are backpacking and really can´t find or afford something better, it might not be such a bad option. However, I would definitely not return. As a matter of fact we changed hotel the last night, even when we´d paid in full in advance. On the plus side: relatively "good" location (but again, Lisbon is small so nothing can bee too far), breakfast included - but their page should say "Continental", not buffet! Good selection of TV channels. And mainly, CHEAP. On the other hand, mattresses were really old and uncomfortable - had a hard time trying to catch sleep the first night. We had a minuscule private bathroom, but it had a leak coming from the top floor. Carpets on the corridor and stairs were stained and smelled - fortunately the room had wooden floor, or it would have smelled too. All things considered, if you are over 25, and/or no longer a backpacker, I´d definitely NOT recommend staying there! P.S. If you do, try the restaurant 2 doors away (Residencia something). Really good, balanced but tasty food at an excellent price!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tahiri1321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Residencia is located about 15min by walk from metro station or 1min from bus stop. Good place for tourists and young people, not reccomended for families because of noisy neighbours(poor insulation). Room with balcony and aircondition but without bathroom(we bought shared bathroom option). You can find kitchen place on 3rd floor. Wifi internet works only close to reception and in internet room. Breakfast included but nothing extraordinary (regular ham and cheese).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank pixiDW
Houston, TX
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife in a double room with private bathroom. Below is my review:

LOCATION: about a 30 minute walk down main avenue to Baixa. A metro station at about 5-15 minute walk.

ROOM COMFORT: The room was very small even by european standards. There was a double bed with only about 1 foot on either side of the bed to talk. There was a fold out stand to put one suitcase on but then you could hardly walk into the room. Luckily, we were only staying one night before flying out and didn't have to open our luggage or else there would have been no room to keep luggage open and move about in the room. The bathroom was tiny. Everything worked in it and water was hot though.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Terrible! The reason that I booked this hotel was because they proclaimed to have an airport shuttle. Well, the airport shuttle I assumed would be free(maybe an incorrect assumption based on US standards). But the shuttle costs 10 Euros and is simply a van that the hotel has a deal worked out with. And not even a good deal because we ended up having to take a taxi and it only cost us 8 euros. We had the receptionist call the shuttle but they didn't answer and she couldn't help us beyond that. So the shuttle isn't controlled by the hotel so do not depend on it. The receptionist was not very friendly and seemed put off by our request.

SLEEP: I guess it is possible to get rooms without private bathrooms. Well the hotel is a fairly old building so the hallways squeak as people wake up and go to the bathrooms. We got woke up after about 6am and had a hard time sleeping until we got out of bed around 8am. The bed was fairly comfortable however.

PRICE: Very reasonable and the only reason that someone should decide to stay here. Paid 30 Euros/night for double room with private bathroom; breakfast included.

OTHER: There was no computer for guests to use. Breakfast was included and was very delicious; your typical breads, meats, cheeses, juice, coffee, and cereal. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR!! So be prepared to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs. Sounds snobbish, but we had 4 suitcases full of Portuguese pottery and they were heavy!!

VERDICT: I would not recommend this hotel based simply on there is not really enough room to set your luggage out if you are staying more than one night. The customer service was not a pleasant experience for me. It was loud in the morning and the whole taxi debacle that I descrided above. No elevator. Breakfast was good however. I would recommend because of price only if you are staying for a very limited time (ie 1 night) or are traveling w/o much luggage.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ASK_aTmu

Travellers are raving about these Lisbon hotels

Zurich
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I have stayed at this hotel for five nights in September 2008 and I have truly regretted it. The place was dirty, and when I had to change rooms, the hotel staff wrapped everything up without care (my girlfriend's belongings randomly mixed up with my stuff) and put it in the new room without previously informing me. The rooms were noisy, the bathroom door did not close, and part of the hotel staff did not speak a word of English. Not very friendly either.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DavidVZurich
Ottawa
Reviewed 2 October 2008

Beware of the scam. We asked the hotel to suggest a place to eat nearby.

They sent us to a Fados place that they appear to be promoting a lot. It was the biggest scam ever. The hotel called them ahead supposedly to reserve a spot but they were obviously getting a kickback. They put all kind of stuff on our table that we didn't touch. They still charged it to us anyway. They made bs excuses. We ended paying 100 Euro for almost no food.

The hotel is crappy. The room was very noisy and smelled musty. We suspect there might have been bedbugs.

• Liked — Locations
  • Disliked — Scam
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BlackJackOttawa
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I stayed here in June, 2005, and was not happy. In the first room I was put in, the sink faucets were unusable and I was expected to use the valves under it. After complaining I was moved to a second room. The hotel says it opened in March of 2003, but it is very run down. The rooms are small, the beds are uncomfortable and the plumbing is in bad shape.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank lq1go
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2003

I have been in "Residencia Mar dos Acores" in April 2003 in honeymoon and it was perfect. The place is magnificent, the rooms are very confortable and the Hotel Team is very kind and professional. They serve breakfast till late wich was a very pleasant surprise and we already booked our return in August. A very good choice.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member