We just returned from 4 nights at the Solar do Castelo, and it was an absolutely wonderful hotel for our first visit to Lisbon. The situation, built in to the walls of the old castle is beautiful and romantic, with the windows looking into the castle grounds or the lovely courtyard or both, and from our room also big view of city lights and river. (We were in room 21, a "mansard" room at the 2nd floor up of the hotel with vaulted wood-beamed ceiling.) The furnishings were at the high standard you would expect at a luxury hotel: modern spacious shower enclosure, bath/spa products provided, robes, a large assortment of towels, very comfortable bed. The location is at the top of the hill near some shops and restaurants, easy access to the city, but a very quiet neighborhood at night. You can walk down to the center of the city in about 10 minutes, or walk a few minutes less to a tram stop, or just take a taxi (everything in central Lisbon is between 5-10 euros taxi fare from here, and taxis are easy to find in the city). The breakfast was a very nice buffet of American (eggs, bacon, sausage) and European (ham, cheese, fish) offerings, cereals and breads (including the famous pastel de nata!), fresh fruits and juices, and even a basket of oranges and a juicer if you wanted to make your own as-fresh-as-possible juice. They also provided a nice offering of gluten-free breads for my husband who needs them. You can take breakfast in the nicely furnished dining room or in the courtyard, and I think there is an afternoon tea offering there as well although we were never around at that time. Finally, there was someone at the desk at all times of day and night who was always extremely helpful with restaurant and tour advice, making bookings, calling taxis, and in our case helping us resolve the retrieval of a mobile phone that we left in a taxi and was found but after we had returned home. If I could, I would give them a 6th star for the service, which was truly exceptional. We will certainly stay here again when we return to Lisbon.
Other miscellaneous features:
- wifi strong, reliable, fast in our room and in common areas
- plenty of outlets in room for us to plug in our devices (including a multi-national / multi-current plug in bathroom for rasers)
- blow drier provided, iron provided on request
- decanter of port with two wine glasses provided complimentary in room - nice touch!
- two sets of curtains plus shutters can make the room very dark when desired
- there are peacocks roaming the castle grounds and sometimes the hotel courtyard. they are beautiful and exotic to see, and on occasion they make a loud squawk, but with the window shut it is muted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Solar Do Castelo is truly a Romantic Boutique hotel in the historic center of Lisbon. The only hotel within St. George's Castle walls, at the top of Alfama, Solar Do Castelo is a small Mansion built on the site of the former Alcaçova Palace. With two floors and a mansard, an inner courtyard and garden, most part of the furniture was specially designed for the hotel in a Medieval Contemporary style. You will find welcoming rooms offering complete modern day comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, TravelUp, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Solar Do Castelo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solar Do Castelo Lisbon
- Solar Do Castelo Hotel Lisbon