“Lovely hotel, but a little difficult to find”
Review of Solar Do Castelo

Solar Do Castelo
Ranked #5 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We spent 2 nights in this very pretty hotel, located next to St George’s castle, in the Alfama neighbourhood. Even though we had instructions, the taxi driver could not find the way to the hotel and left us on the street, where the staff picked us up in a golf cart. Our room was fairly large and well appointed. Breakfast was delicious and quite varied. As the weather was unfortunately not very good, we ate in the lounge area, but the terrace would have been pleasant in the sun. There is a small honesty bar where you can buy drinks and snacks. The staff was quite helpful and booked a table for us at Casa de Leao, a very good restaurant located within the castle walls.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Myself and my girl friend stayed here on our trip to Lisbon. It sits inside the castle walls up some tiny side streets and is an oasis of calm in a busy tourist city. The rooms were huge and nicely done and the staff were friendly and helpful. There is a bit of a walk uphill to the castle but there is also a bus that takes you all the way if you don't feel up to the challenge. We loved this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This hotel truly made my trip to Lisbon special. Although I read numerous reviews of the steep climb up to the castle area and the hotel, I was still blown away by the arduous trek. But I love a challenge (and it meant I could eat and drink all I wanted!) The hotel is charming beyond belief, with a cozy, welcoming aura - and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful from the beginning. They were starting some renovations before the end of my stay, so added the breakfast free of charge and sent me in a taxi to another of their properties, As Janelas Verdes, for my last two nights. That hotel was lovely as well, absolutely - but the neighborhood had none of the charm of the Castelo area. I loved the peacocks sunning in the courtyard (although I'm told they do make a racket at night during mating season.) And the quaint narrow streets of the area are lovely. I was in room #5, a ground floor double bed. Not overly spacious, but plenty of room, and wonderfully quiet at night, with a huge bathroom. There's a FANTASTIC wine bar (Wine Bar do Castelo) down the street, and some restaurants nearby, but I kept finding myself wandering down to Baixa/Chiado or Bairro Alto for dinner; it became an easy 15 minute walk that never felt too much for me. I certainly would caution people who have mobility issues, because the climb is part of the package. But I was incredibly sad to leave, and would recommend the Solar do Castelo to anyone who wants a very special, unique and lovely experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BanannieNYC
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is in the castle area, reached by some very narrow streets (our incoming taxi stopped as the street narrowed, and a nearby restaurateur phoned the hotel who came and collected us and our luggage in a little golf cart); on our departure, the taxi was brave enough to come up the narrow streets right to the hotel door!
As others have noted, the surrounding area is quite busy with tourists during the day, but very quiet at night when the castle is shut.
Our room was right at the top of the hotel in the old building, with a very good view.
Neither the room nor bathroom were particularly large, but they were comfortable and equipped with everything we needed. The décor was traditional and very pleasant.
The breakfast buffet offered a very good selection considering the small size of the hotel.
There is no restaurant, but reception staff were very helpful and made suggestions for nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Although this was not a bad hotel, I would not stay here again. First of all, it's just too much trouble to get to. It's in a wonderful, atmospheric part of town, but once you get beyond that, it's just not practical for getting around the city. We were in a rental car, and getting to the hotel was positively terrifying. We had a stick shift, it was all up hill on really narrow, confusing streets, and the multitudes of tourists would NOT get out of the way. By the time we got to the top of the hill, the clutch was smoking. They do have a parking area, and they pick you up in a golf cart and drive you and your belongings to the hotel which was nice. After that, it was always a chore to get out of that part of town to an area where you could catch taxis, get on the subway or a tram, etc.
The first room they put us in was impossible. It was just above street level, had a lot of widows, and there were hoards of tourists waling right by. Incredibly noisy and no feeling of privacy. There was even a huge window right over the bathroom sink with just a flimsy shade over it. We asked for another room.
Our next room was small, but relatively comfortable. The breakfast was fine. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself had some old world charm, but they have added a lot of newer touches that sort of ruin it. But the absolute WORST thing about this place was the fact that the whole hotel was over-scented. I'm one of those people who have trouble tolerating perfumes and artificial scents. I'm not so bad as others and I'm usually just annoyed, but I had to hold my breath walking through the lobby. I also had to request that room service not put any scent in the room as it was also over-scented. I've never had this experience in a hotel before. It's odd to pump an overpowering scent into a hotel. I mean...why?
Overall though, it was not a horrible experience. I would just pick another hotel though next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank squeakybones
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Spent four nights in early November in this boutique style hotel which was extremely nice to stay in. Very comfortable, clean and relaxing which would be expected for the price you pay.Staff very helpful and friendly, giving useful tourist information when required. Free afternoon tea with portuguese custard tarts on offer! Breakfast was 14 Euros and you had everything on offer which was fine for one day. The rest of the time we ate at local cafes otherwise we would have exploded!

Only downside was the steep walk to the hotel after getting off the local 737 bus at the castle entrance.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

By staying at this Hotel, we felt as if we were immersed in the history of Lisbon. It is at the end of a cobbled alleyway, up at the top of a hill, next to the Castle, which can be seen from most of the bedrooms, lit up at night. The neighbourhood , Alfama, is very quiet at night, and full of tourists during the day, but they do not affect the Hotel, because it is situated at a dead end and is behind closed wooden doors, around an interior courtyard.In order to go out at night, we took taxis, as there were not many restaurants in the area.Taxis in Lisbon are cheap.During the day, we took a tram, a real delight, or the bus which stops outside the door of the Castle. Easy. Our room was small, but we loved it and would not have changed it. It was in the original building, not the extension. It was right at the top of the hotel, under the eaves, and had a great view of the river and the boats coming and going, all lit up at night. The only problem was that the lift stopped down 2 flights of stairs. The Hotel is clean, the staff are wonderful and good at dealing with problems and enquiries,the breakfast excellent. It is a really special place to stay, if you do not mind being a little cut off. The atmosphere makes up for this.
walk.

Room Tip: Facing the Castle or the River